VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Tower - Old Gina Card?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: New Tower - Old Gina Card? Reply with quote

Well, since the last time I actually shut off my recording tower and tried to turn it back on it wouldn't. After trying to start the damn thing for several minutes - taking a break - and trying again, I started to unplug things in order to take it to the shop to have the power button looked at.

As I unplugged the USB to the hard drive and the Source-Connect dongle, the tower turned on again. Gave me a blue screen of death - let me reboot it - and all is well again.

So - I bought a new HP Pavilion with Windows 7 at Costco. Software has been loaded mostly (since it is only for recording, it has the bare minimum). Have Audition and Chrome basically. Some Word, Excel and Hobo LaughingF readers. And one or two other specialty recording programs.

My question is - should I move the old Gina Echo card over to the new machine? Will it even recognize it?

Should I get a new sound card with firewire (or whatever lingo is current)? If so, any ideas on something that would be good?

Or will the on-board sound card with a mini plug be enough.

I do not want to dismantle my old tower until I have the new tower ready to drop into place, so any testing of the onboard sound card will be done in the backup studio...
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lady Connie, Gina is older but she is a nice girl. The only problem is the young boy wants to pull her pigtails and probably wont let her play well in his yard.

Translation, it is likely you will not be able to use the Gina, you might if you have the drivers.

The on-board sound card is OK, but not what you want to do professional VO. The good news is it is usable for a while. The key issues will be purchasing the correct cables and most likely a small mixer to get your mic sound into the computer through the card.

There are numerous new fangled cards which will make you happy and are USB, firewire, or whatever.

I wish you luck.

Frank F
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank. I have an Onyx mixer in the booth right now - have a phone patch that I use, so needed the mixer.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old Gina, I used the same and also an Echo Mia back in my PC days.
As long as the drivers work, keep using it! It's probably more reliable than almost any external sound card, and it has REAL Line Inputs and Outputs.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at Echo website..looks like they have Win 7 drivers for Gina--grab 'em and you should be good. I love my Mia cards
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill beat me to it.

Good looking out, Bill. I'm sure Connie feels a lot better after reading that. Wink
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll go digging for the driver. And then plan on some down time while I move the card from one machine to the other.

Thanks!
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using my trusty od Echo Mia in my Win 7 DAW that I assembled myself. The Mia works without a hiccup or complaint, I've made a lot of money with it over the years.

I'm sorely tempted by the Audient i22. Not sure if it would be a noticeable upgrade in sound though, and besides "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Right??
www.tomtest.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: