VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apogee MiC 96k - opinions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skmigs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Apogee MiC 96k - opinions? Reply with quote

Hi all, totally new to voiceover. I had a slightly overwhelming shopping experience at B&H. The sales guy was awesome – but after seeing my confusion trying to differentiate the sounds of the interface mics, he recommended the Apogee.

I do love its ease, and after figuring out how to reduce latency, I've had no problems. But I have read enough home studio guys warn over usb mics that I'm afraid I'm making a pricey mistake. Why exactly are usb mics subpar?

I have a small (read: closet) home studio. Just practicing right now and taking classes, but my goal is to eventually pick up some e-learning, corporate, or telephony work.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some views on this, or if you have an Apogee and want to weigh in, all the better. Thanks very much in advance.

Suz
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality doesn't mean that much to people but the so-called "signal chain" does.
The key here is to ignore any techie nerd unless you have a specific tech problem to solve. When you have a problem ask a specific question requiring a specific answer, not an opinion; gawd save us from the opinions of the techie nerds.

To see how things go a USB mic is fine, To sell yourself into the VO market your "signal chain" is about the signals you send to the market. By saying you have a closet and a USB mic then the signals sent are "she/he is an amateur" - We don't send those signals.

Buy what the market expects of a pro, nothing more, nothing less.

After a short break there will follow the ramblings of wittering eejits some of whom have different mic/pre combinations for vowel and consonants. When asked by a director for a radio style TV promo read with the tone remaining conversational their heads explode. I will be accused of being a "big pile of hit!" for posting this; thank goodness for the de-esser. Smile
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suz,

What is your budget

What equipment do you already have (if any)

How much outside noise/room reflections are you dealing with

These are some starting point questions

There are also some mics that are better suited for female voices and vice versa
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the discussion group, skmigs. Since you signed your question "Suz" I am going to make an assumption that is short for Susan or something, and a further assumption that you are female.

A lot of the advice and suggestions you get here will come from MALE participants and selecting a mic and audio chain to fit a male voice can be different that fitting for a female voice.

While I am in the assumption business, since you are starting with an Apoge, my guess is that your machine comes from Apple.

The first mics brought to market with USB built into the mic were all low end products to the best of my knowledge so that crop of product did nothing to impress the serious voice-over market. There are few if any upper end mics with USB built in.

The beauty of spending a little more and having a stand-alone mic and a stand-alone analog-to-digital converter with a USB output is that if someone is willing to loan you a better mic to try out, you can disconnect your original mic and plug in the try-out. (If you buy a low-end stand-alone mic and a low-end USB converter, you are no better off than with a good combo unit.... for now. But with stand-alone units, upgrading is a stair-step process if budget is a challenge for you.)

All of the target markets you have mentioned may be more tolerant of a USB mic that radio production and advertising agency market. In your early sales effort, don't flaunt what equipment you have and maybe those who hold a grudge about USB Mics won't notice.

Yes, you Apogee should let you experiment a bit. Does the larger closet in the other room work better than the smaller closet here where I really need to do my work? Pack up your rig and go to a friends house and try out other closets, other spaces. Learn if you are going to be able to work sitting, or will you need to stand to get the "breath power" behind your voice. For this kind of exploration, your ears don't care whether you mic is USB or not.

The book narration market will not likely know or care whether you are using a combo mic. The telephony market shouldn't care, but some telephony customers might. Others will have to speak to what the corporate maket expects and tolerates.

But for your classwork, just about anything will do. Having a lower end hardware set-up may challenge you to put more effort in the the human part of the process.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
gawd save us from the opinions of the techie nerds.

That should be on a plaque, somewhere. Gasp
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suz,

Although a bit verbose, Phillip is correct. I am going to say it very simple. No, an Apogee is not a microphone for you if you really hope to do VO as a Pro.

I know it is simple, but that says it all. Save, spend, borrow, a few dollars more and get something which is professional.

There are good microphones ranging from under $100.00 USD to over $10,000.00. Many microphones; including an MXL 990 (under $100.00 USD); are adequate for VO until you acquire "gearitis" or GAS (read the archives).

If you have to buy a small mixer to interface the microphone into your computer, then do so. But do not scrimp on the microphone.

Frank F
skmigs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob.

My budget for a mic plus amp would be around $450. I do have a month to return the Apogee, which is why I wanted to get some feedback here.

I have Sony 7506 headphones. Stand, pop filter. I use a Macbook and Twisted Wave.

I live in the sticks so it's very quiet. Right now, I moving blankets on the sides and pillows on the ceiling. I realize it's not ideal, but trying to learn with what I have. I am very happy for pointers. Thank you for your help.

Suz
skmigs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vkuehn,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, female, using Macbook. Ok, now I understand a little better about the stand-alones versus the combo. I appreciate the kind explanation.

And good points about trying it out in different locales. That said, while experimenting as I learn is beneficial, I do have the opportunity to exchange the mic. So if the Apogee isn't going to benefit me in the long run, might be best to return now. (I do hear you about not advertising I'm using it since the bias is strong.)

Thank you again for your advice!
skmigs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Frank.

I didn't have a good ear for hearing differences on the various xlr mics while at B&H (and hopefully that ear will develop in time.) Two mics on the affordable side recommended to me by folks in the field were the Shure PG42 and the RodeNT1A. Any knowledge on one versus the other?

I realize these may be ignorant questions but I am absorbing what I can as i go along.

Thank you again.
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this bundle would make a terrific starter-kit... there are a lot of pros making a living with that mic as well as with the Scarlett line of interfaces... great bang-for-the-buck.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony is... the more pro you are, the less the gear matters to your clients. A pro will use whatever methods possible to get their audio recorded, in the clutch. Many travel with the Apogee MiC or similar (I know a few).
Can you get a pro-result from the Apogee MiC? Absolutely.
Would it be my first choice? No.
If you care about this techie geek's opinion, I'm for hire Smile
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suz,

Return the Apogee. Get a decent mic, and yes, the NT1A is a good starter mic and is often used by pro's and beginners alike, although it may be a bit "ssshhhhhy" (sibilant) for some folks. Find a friend or a studio who owns an NT1A and try it out.

Ricevoice had a great idea with the bundle. Look and listen --- do not trust a salesman --- or even another VOist about equipment purchases (and yes, that includes me). Trust yourself.

Frank F
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that every voice is different, but my understanding is that the NT1A tends to be a bit bright for female voices.

The newer versions may be flatter though.

I would recommend looking at the CAD M179 . Excellent bang for the buck and not overly bright.[/url]
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What matters most? Your voice, your communication skills, and your mic technique. The mic itself is not that important.

If and when you start to make real money, buy a Neumann U87 or a Sennheiser 416, and you'll never have to buy another mic again. Those are the two mics of choice at the highest levels.

That said, that NT1A bundle that ricevoice linked to would be a nice way to get started. I used an NT1A on my wife's voice for years, and it sounds very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: