VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apogee MiC 96k - opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably find a Sennheiser 416T or 415T on ebay for close to your budget range. Essentially the same as a 416 P48 but no longer in production, used, and you would need to cover your bases as far as buying on ebay goes. But it would give you a high level sound in your approximate budget range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SENNHEISER-MKH415T-SHOTGUN-MIC-/271652462428?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Microphones&hash=item3f3fbf9f5c
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skmigs wrote:

I didn't have a good ear for hearing differences on the various xlr mics

Dirty little secret: neither do most of the people you'll be sending your auditions to. Shocked
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: +1 on What Chris Rice wrote... Reply with quote

+1 on the bundle Chris Rice suggested. the Scarlett 2i2 is a nice interface that will even work with your iPad (so good for when you are traveling and want to record).

Several professional studios that I have worked in used, to my surprise, the Rode NT1-A.

And having that acoustic guard is a real plus Wink

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
skmigs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen. I really appreciate all the info and advice. It's incredibly helpful stuff and now I have some better ideas in terms of gear.

Definitely understand that working on my technique is more important… the most important issue. While the classes at Edge are very good, mic technique is something that hasn't been really broached. I'll have to research that one on my own.

And George, agreed that the more pro you are, the less the mic matters. (But since I'm far from pro right now, I figure I better start out with the right stuff.) Wink And I DO care about your technie geek opinion, and as soon as we move and I'm not recording inside a postage stamp, yes, I would hire you. Smile
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all ultimately a pointless discussion, this "what mic is best" stuff.. cause two different people will get completely different results from the same mic, based upon the tonality of voices, room, interface, etc.. I believe Phillip (the Anti-Nerd) Banks alluded to this ... or maybe it was another of his posts.. it's all a blur at some point

that being said, the standards like the U87 and the 416, over time, have yielded a high percentage of great results for people who do this day in day out. it STILL doesn't mean it's the perfect mic for you.. I sound great in a pro studio on a U87, but the same mic at home could mightily suck..

but, when all is said and done. the pro standard mics just may take some of the guess work out of deeciding what to use..because honestly, who has the time to shop around and try dozens and dozens of mics?

Going back to the original point.. I've had the Apogee Mic. I thought it was overpriced and no better than any standard $50 USB mic. the selling point is it's iOS compatibility and travel worthiness
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
PeterWhiteVoices

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: apogee?! Reply with quote

First-- Sound conditioning. Booth or a mudguard or pillows and duvets surrounding you, whatever it takes. I have sound absorbing blankets enclosing my performance space on a rolling ceiling track so I can open it for air, dash to the computer tower, whack the cat, whatever. This is in position #1 because it is the most important.

Second-- sound chain.
A) Microphone-- If you scour the internet (or interweb as Gore says) you will see thousands of opinions as to what is best. Here is my two cents. Large condenser mike. Small condenser mike if you have unrectifiable ambient noise problems. With an eye on you upgrading to pro level, use XLR connectors only. I started with (and still use sometimes) my first mike, a Sterling Audio ST55. I have been eyeing those sE X1 mikes for sale on EBAY. You can catch one around $125, also "kits" with a sE mudguard, mike, popscreen around $300 or so. Some say it's a little "bright", but it'll be good for learning proper mike technique. Don't forget the mike stand and/or tabletop holder if you sit. While I am blowharding, ALWAYS USE QUALITY CABLES. good equip + crap cables = crap sound.

B) Preamp/Mixer-- Since you are just beginning, go simple but good. Focusrite Scarlett Solo or Itrack solo (same as solo but has added ipod jack)
I use the Itrack into my windows 7 computer. Sounds sweeeet! $100~ ON EBAY.

C) Headphones--Get some good, closed ear ones to block out the outside noise. Make sure they are comfy, you'll be wearing them a lot when you are editing. You won't be wearing them whilst you are recording, will you? Longer cord is better than a shorter cord. I use Sennheiser HD 280pro, about 60-80 on EBAY.

D)-- Computer-- Darn near any will do, as long as it is quiet. Ideally, the tower should be in a separate room to isolate the noise from you. Bluetooth your keyboard and mouse and get an extension cable for your video screen.
I have mine about 5 feet away from me, but built an enclosure with foam in it that I pop over the tower when I record. Necessity IS the mother of invention, not Frank Zappa.

E)-- Audio software-- Just beginning? Use free audio software "Audacity" It's simple, easy to use if you lose internet access for some reason, fallback from twisted wave to this. Always name your files properly and ALWAYS BACKUP. Save before, and after editing. (Voice of audiobook narrator experience speaking).

F)-- Power-- All your equipment should be on a well-grounded, isolated circuit, preferably with no fishtanks, furnaces/AC blowers, washer/dryer on it. If you can afford a "Line Conditioner" to smooth out the AC feed, do it. If not, c'est la vie. DO however, use a power strip with a surge protector. Get a good one, $25. Think industrial yellow. Then plug in all of your equipment to it. And it to the well-grounded outlet. This will prevent "ground looping", hums and such.

That's all for now. Go forth and get rich. Don't forget me when I get old. Older. You know what I mean. Put the check in the mail. Gasp
skmigs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great condensed version of all the stuff I need to be reminded of. Thank you. I appreciate the help and your pointers. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: