VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audient id22 on THE WINDOWS PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Audient id22 on THE WINDOWS PC Reply with quote

The id22 apparently came into this world as a product for use with the MAC platform. Now they claim to also work with Windows. However, their literature and tutorials are still MAC-centric. I have been searching the web for help and assurance that the id22 actually can play nice with a PC.

I searched for posts in VO-BB about the id22, and most, maybe all are by people using it with a MAC.

Who among you can look me in the eye and say: "Pardnah... it plays real nice with my Windows machine."
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was just a matter of running the windows installer, very quick & painless!
lapdog12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It plays nice with windows 7 for me.

i use it as my "sound card". i'm no expert (at all) but if you have any questions just let me know.

jefflapensee@gmail.com
lapdog12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pres on here are great. I'm also testing out the warm audio tone beast 12 just to see the difference and maybe have a little "warmth" when needed.

You can bypass the pres on the audient easily if you have another pre you'd rather use.

things i don't like. you can turn it off, it's always on. the software mixer doesn't have "all controls" on it. i can't turn the phantom power on and off or adjust the gain of the pres through the software. This is a problem for me because my "booth" is about 10 ft away from my computer. They say you can't extend the USB for the audient as it may cause latency or drop outs. I wish there was a solution, like a powered/active usb extension cable. that may work but i haven't tried it.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, lapdog12... it seems that all the makers of USB based audio chains make that same demand to keep your USB cable short AND GOOD QUALITY.... LIKE THEIRS!.

I have not experimented with that restriction (yet) but I get the idea that they are speaking to the crowd making music recordings with multiple people present who need to hear each other in headsets or something and latency/time delay in that monitor signal would be a real problem. If you record voice-overs wearing a headset... the latency would become a problem. (I don't use headphones during the recording process, but in the editing process only. )

Just for grins some afternoon I am going to substitute the longest USB cable I can find just to see if the interface will still function with RECORDING audio of integrity. Of course, 15' is the theoretical maximum length for a USB cable.

(Yes, I have an EXTENDER and I can use a keyboard and mouse 100 feet from my computer, but the USB circuit at that length refuses to deal with any device that can't work with USB 1.0. If tried a device that said it could, but the computer saw the inputs as a NETWORK rather than a traditional USB. If you put the computer in SLEEP mode and expect it to awaken when you swish the mouse around, out of luck! I was not smart enough to figure out how the network could wake the computer in that circumstance,)

Thanks for the replies and observations.
lapdog12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will let you know that I just tried an "active" usb extension, hoping that would work but it didn't. Sound came through, but it was also FULL of static.

Now it could have been the cable. I maybe need to buy another one from a local shop and one that is "passive" and see if maybe it was just the cable.

I really wish I could control the pres (gain, phantom power) from the softwar, that would have solved all my issues.

I tried the warm audio tone beast 12 and it's pretty darn good. Was it a ton better than the pres on the audient, no, but still had a slightly different flavor. I was about to sell the tonebeast but I kept it because I can at least have that pre in my booth and i can easily control the gain and phantom power.

I really wish the UAD apollo twin could be used on a PC. I really don't want to have to get a new computer and software just to use that.

Let me know how the cables work out for you. It's possible I just got a bad cable. I have to return it to amazon and maybe get another one.

jeff
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This dis-ability to go long USB runs really hampers the id22 in a solo studio/booth operating environment. Let us know if you find a USB extension that works reliably. There's gotta be a Windows friendly equivalent to the Apogee DUET or Apollo Twin out there somewhere that lets you control all functions remotely. Maybe the RME Babyface?
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: