VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mic shootout time
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buff-A

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify the comment by captain54: the discontinued AT3035 was made in Japan, and it's current replacement (AT2035) is made in China.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that CAD is FUBAR. I thought it was a cheap dynamic.

I have an AT2035 as a back up/travel mic to my CADE100s. Sweet little mic, but I think the old AT3035 are better. The 2035 is an electret mic made in Taiwan. That's why they're so cheap. Like the Asian version of the nice AKG 220 mics (made in Poland).
Buff-A

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've stated earlier, I always do extensive 'A-B' tests of my own mics in various situations, distances, and environments in order to have confidence that any given mic is suited to my voice (and recording space), and therefore worth keeping.

I got around to directly comparing the AT3035 with my Oktava MKL-2500 (Russian made tube mic), and to my surprise they sounded almost indistinguishable from each other in casual listening.

I realize that the Oktava production runs had some quality control issues, meaning that it could well be that not all MKL-2500's sound so similar to the AT3035, but in this case the similarity is striking.

I've always loved the way the Oktava MKL-2500 performed with my particular voice, but now I may decide to sell it and keep the 3035 (which has 'low cut' and 'pad' switches, unlike the Oktava, and of course no need for a separate power supply).

The bottom line is that I would agree with Jeffrey that the AT3035 is capable of standing up to most any competition (when well-matched with a particular voice and recording space).

======
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: