VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISO: Quiet external hard drives
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: ISO: Quiet external hard drives Reply with quote

I have two external hard drives, one for my audio recording sessions and the other for music and sfx libraries on one partition and archived recording sessions on the other partition, and I've been using them for at least 5 years now and should really consider replacing them.

I also have a large backup drive that's about 3 years old.

My search is for drives quiet enough to stay in the recording studio with me without building special soundproofing around them. I never hear the older drives, but the backup drive is so noisy that I just plug it in at the end of the work day instead of leaving it on all the time.

Any recommendations on brands or styles of drive for quietness?

While we're at it, any drives you recommend or dis-recommend in general?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bruce
Happy Hols!
I recently got a Seagate 2tb USB3
backup slim bundle at costco for $90
It makes no noise and is cell phone size
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western Digital "My Passport" with USB 3 here. Tiny footprint. Virtually no noise whatsoever. I have Seagate as well; priced about same but WD seems a bit quieter.

dwpthe3rd
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1TB Western Digital USB drive that I got a few years ago. I think it's called a "My Book" and it is very quiet.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

I use a docking system made by StarTech (click here). It holds two internal drives in a vertical position, exposed to the air they act like heat sinks, no fan is required and they stay cool. Best solution I've found.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have any brand recommendations, but you can't get quieter than the solid state drives and the prices are getting pretty competitive these days. Maybe there are even some post-Christmas overstock sales to keep an eye out for!

todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the SS drives for working. Zero noise, FAST, tiny and the price is coming down every day. For storage, I have had good luck with the WD drives up to 4tb.

Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same as Eddie in my studio. Gotta love Costco!
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the theme of SS drives, I wonder if anyone has tried to use a wee USB flash drive as an external drive. I just got a 64 Gig flash drive for absurdly cheap and the thought popped into my head, all crazy-like. Anyone here ever done such a thing?

georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for going Solid State. I have a tiny USB 3 64GB flash drive in a port of my Macbook Air for extra storage. It's not as fast as the internal PCIe SSD, which is wicked quick, but it's plenty fast for audio or video use.
SSD is practical for all but large archive/backup needs where the cost gets out of hand (anything less than 256GB is reasonable). Not an issue since you can leave those noisier drives off until end of the day then let them do their job at night. Laptop size drives are passively cooled and extremely quiet, so going with the 2.5" form-factor might be a reasonable compromise.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about whether it is possible (and if so, advisable) to hook up a flash drive and record directly to it. Or are they for storage/backup exclusively?

heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible, yes.

I could also trade my Land Rover for a Chevette. Rolls Eyes
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foog wrote:
I'm curious about whether it is possible (and if so, advisable) to hook up a flash drive and record directly to it. Or are they for storage/backup exclusively?

In taking a glance at what the sellers are featuring in their ads now and then, sometime in the last two weeks I saw something for the first time about using a thumb-dirve format device as a "drive". My guess is that as USB-3.0 becomes more common on machines people will find reasons to use portable SSD of some kind. If you were a musician and renting time in someone's studio to do a bit of exploratory recording, it would be great to plug one in at the studio and then take the datas home to analyze, edit, and listen.

I'm having a harder time trying to visualize (or is that auralize?) how a thumb-drive really benefits a
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foog wrote:

In taking a glance at what the sellers are featuring in their ads now and then, sometime in the last two weeks I saw something for the first time about using a thumb-dirve format device as a "drive". My guess is that as USB-3.0 becomes more common on machines people will find reasons to use portable SSD of some kind. If you were a musician and renting time in someone's studio to do a bit of exploratory recording, it would be great to plug one in at the studio and then take the datas home to analyze, edit, and listen.

I'm having a harder time trying to visualize (or is that auralize?) how a thumb-drive really really works for a V-O person.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost per GB is still much higher on a thumb drive vs an external (spinning) drive. Both drives are using USB so whether you have a 2.0 or 3.0 port on your computer, they will both have similar transfer rates (though the thumb drive will be faster than the spinning hard drive). I think it really just comes down to cost. Would you rather pay $20 for a 64gb thumb drive or $60 for a 1.5tb silent spinning drive? Personally, I opt for the large drive so I don't have to change it all the time. A 1.5tb SSD is still $400+ and you don't really need the SSD speeds for the kind of storage we do, so would the extra $340 be worth it?

For a system drive HECK YES! It makes a system WAY faster...but for audio storage, I don't know that it is really worth the expense since both are essentially silent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: