VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally getting a new mixer, but ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacob Ekstroem
Club 300

Location: A padded room with no windows somewhere in Scandinavia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Finally getting a new mixer, but ... Reply with quote

Hi everyone, hope you all had a lovely Christmas and 2015 is treating you well so far! Smile

It's been a long time underway but finally I'm about to pull the trigger on a new mixer. I've even considered the option of not using one at all, but I find that I would be more comfortable with the flexibility, as well as my working habits are hard to break, so ... anyway, here's the thing:

For years I've been wanting a Soundcraft M4, I've even recommended it to others. However, I'm actually glad I never got one, since I've recently moved and built a new studio, and the M4 would simply be too large! So I'm looking at a few other, smaller options, and wanted to hear your opinions:

Allen & Heath ZED60-10FX: I've had my eyes on the ZED14 for years, but to be honest it's overkill, and also a tad too big. The ZED10 is a nice and smaller alternative, but I like the 60mm faders of the newer 60-10 (hence the new name). So far, my own favorite.

Mackie 1402 VLZ4: The layout is somewhat similar to my old Behringer MX2804A, only in a smaller package. Seems very versatile, but maybe also a bit overkill for my needs. The 1202 or even 802 would probably be enough, but they don't have faders (which I want).

Soundcraft EPM6: The smallest and cheapest unit of them all, but despite that seem to have all that I need. Model is a bit old, though.

Feel free to give other suggestions, but a few things I know I want in a new mixer: faders instead of just knobs for each channel; at least 1 aux send and separate main out/monitor outputs. And I'm never gonna buy another Behringer, by the way.

Your input is much appreciated!
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Mackie for a long time (until I started doing the mixing in software with the Audient iD22). It was very reliable, had a good HPF at 75hz, pres were nice and clean, and never gave me a single issue. I prefer the faders too. I have the 1402-VLZ, but I think it is essentially the same mixer. The only issue I had was that I had to do a funky work around to get the separate headphone and monitor mix. Still, after all was said and done, I occasionally forgot to turn the mic in the playback mix off before switching from headphones to monitors and got feedback. If the Zed has better monitoring, I'd probably go that direction. I love not having to worry about the mic being in the mix or not when I turn the monitors up.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another fan of the mackie --- i've had a 1202 for years and nary a problem - like jason said - pres are super clean.

georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go Mackie as well, used a 1402 for many years... Although I now use a Allen & Heath XB10, it's a lot more expensive and doesn't use sliders. I really don't miss the slider/faders though. Nothing is more flexible in terms of signal routing and multiple mix-minuses than the Mackies at their size/price. Some like the Yamaha boards, too. I did a Soundcraft EPM6 for a customer and it's already developed some dead spots in a couple faders after a few months.
I am actually looking forward to demoing this nifty gadget:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR12
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR12

That loud thump you might have heard was the sound of my jaw hitting my desktop. Wow. Just Wow.

And it's a hundred bucks less than I paid for my... ahem... aging A&H ZED14.

dwpthe3rd
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Midas name on there sure makes it more interesting. That would be a really helpful piece of gear to get the computer out of the booth. The ability to connect over the network sure solves the need for a short USB cable, so you can keep the interface in the booth. I didn't see a fan on the case.
Jacob Ekstroem
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, and although I'm sure that Behringer WiFi-thingy is a very interesting gadget it's not a route I'm going, so let's steer away from that and talk about it in another topic Wink

George, thanks for the warning regarding the EPM6, I was kinda worried it would be "too" cheap.

Dave P, you mentioned your "aging" ZED14 - may I ask in what way it's showing signs of age?
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob Ekstroem wrote:
Dave P, you mentioned your "aging" ZED14 - may I ask in what way it's showing signs of age?

Aging only in a technological sense. One of its first attractions to me was the USB send/return feature and 100mm faders, a bit unusual at the price point when the mixer first became available.

I'm sure the ZED14 is still very good in today's market regarding ins/outs, sound quality, etc. However, its USB is limited to 16 bit, and a new product with built-in WIFI, smaller footprint, presumably competitive sound and 25% lower cost seems more future oriented "hi-tech" to me. If you like/need knobs & faders, can't miss with the cost and reliability of a Mackie or A&H.

dwpthe3rd
Jacob Ekstroem
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwpthe3rd wrote:
Aging only in a technological sense.

Ah, I see! Yeah, and the USB in/out is still USB 1.1 even in the newer models, so pretty dated by today's standards Shocked
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob Ekstroem wrote:

Ah, I see! Yeah, and the USB in/out is still USB 1.1 even in the newer models, so pretty dated by today's standards Shocked

I wouldn't let the USB 1.1 worry you.

I was a bit surprised when I discovered that my Macki ONYX BlackJack interface uses the older USB 1.1. However, I soon realized that although it is an older technology...at 12 Mbit/s it has plenty of bandwidth for audio.

USB 2.0 is nice. But do you really need 480 Mbit/s when a mono recording even at 24 bit, 48KHz only needs 1,152 Kbps?

Oh...and it's hard to go wrong with a Mackie. Laugh
Jacob Ekstroem
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutter Ash wrote:
... at 12 Mbit/s (USB 1.1) has plenty of bandwidth for audio. USB 2.0 is nice. But do you really need 480 Mbit/s when a mono recording even at 24 bit, 48KHz only needs 1,152 Kbps?

Good point, actually!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: