VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firewire/ECHO Audiofire/Laptop help PLease
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Firewire/ECHO Audiofire/Laptop help PLease Reply with quote

First, my apologies for being so long between posts.I got sidetracked by going back into Radio 1 year as a News Anchor and another year as a DJ. I think I finally have that pitiful profession out of my system. And it only took 30 years.

And so I come, hat in hand, to ask the advice of the technically brilliant that abound on this site. I'm setting up a second work station besides my booth. I have a laptop without a Firewire port and need to join it with to my ECHO Firewire2. My problem is further complicated in that my HP Probook 4540s core i5 does not have an Expresscard slot to use with a Firewire adapter. And even further complicated by the fact that the ECHO doesn't seem to play well unless the chipset is from Texas Instruments. So I may be limited there too.

Can anyone advise me on whether a USB 3 to Firewire adapter is likely to work?
Or suggest another solution on getting Firwire into the laptop from the ECHO Firewire 2? If any group has the solution I know it would be someone here. And if there is NO solution ...well then reccommend a reasonably priced substitute for the Audiofire that has no preamps or they are easily bypassed so nothing will color my Avalon M5.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, that's a tough thing to find: A/D conversion into USB with no pre-amp coloration. Most find my answers to this question either too low end or too high end: Behringer UCA202 or Audient iD22. Haven't found anything in the middle yet that fills the bill.

Right smack in the middle, I just found this device:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-66437-hrt-linestreamer43-ad-converter.aspx
Surely has only unbalanced I/O on RCA jacks, but not really an issue for the needs of connecting direct to a pre-amp with the right cables.

This looks interesting, too (out of production):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aardvark-Direct-Mix-USB3-Digital-Audio-Mic-Headphone-Line-USB-ADC-I-O-Box-Win-7-/281304283343?pt=US_Sound_Card_External&hash=item417f0ab8cf

And this is drop-dead sexy for $400 (although I now read it can't bypass the preamps):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038076-REG/tascam_uh_7000_high_resolution_usb.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA0O2lBRDOrPX4oJP3t2oSJACjpaHAfzftWI5XXCw4XwO-66cPsGJgE4nUWbFTdycPthMQ3RoCG7Pw_wcB
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George I was certainly wanting to hear from you. Thanks for some options to look at. I suspected after my own research it might not be doable to connect the laptop I have with the ECHO Firewire. That is what you're telling me right?
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with usb to firewire conversion is that data speeds default to less than optimum.

Time to join the future and shop for a USB 2.0 interface.... Or take a look at RME's new USB 3.0 interface.... It's a little pricey, but it's also the first to market. Others will follow, at more reasonable prices, but probably not til next year.

Good luck. Inoccent
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don. I have been using a RME BabyFace in my booth for sometime with the 416 and Avalon M5 and in wanting to set up a second workstation was going to use the Firewire 2 I had in the closet. When it worked right I loved it but its been a tricky and balky converter. I guess I also liked it because it had no preamps to bypass. . I agree with the thought that USB is less trouble. Love you guys and the way you know equipment. I just pulled the trigger on a cheap Lexicon Alpha like Beau Weaver uses for my second workstation.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Good enough is good enough. Wink
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alpha was one I didn't list because people whine about it having preamps and being too cheap... but Beau Weaver. And Chris Fries. And Jason Hildebrandt. And Rick Wasserman. And 'fill in the blank' Promo voice actors use it.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
The Alpha was one I didn't list because people whine about it having preamps and being too cheap... .

So if a person has a really great pre-amp and brings the output into the Alpha using the instrument input, does this accomplish the goal of not losing the specialness of the preamp qualities?
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought that using the instument or line in instead of the mic in on most converter/pre combinations would bypass the preamps. So thanks for bringing that up. True or false?
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check out the Focusrite Forte as an interface.
us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/forte
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie: Pay no attention to the guts of the gear, the topology, the signal path, all that crap. If it sounds good, it is good. If not, spend more.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your Mantra George. If it sounds good, it is good. Is it your personal opinion the high end converters are overkill for VO?
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Eddie the Focusrite Forte was and still is on my list if I detect any signal degradation with the little Alpha. I thought it was worth a try at just $50 and free shipping at Sweetwater. And of course theres the lengthy list of top level VO actors that use it. When I get it in a few days I'll let you guys know. I fully expect to sound just like Beau Weaver when it arrives.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONLY issue I have with the Forte is that if your computer is set to go into sleep mode after a certain length of inactivity, when you log it back on, about half the time the Forte has to be re-booted (unplugged and plugged back in)
to get it working again. A minor inconvenience but just FYI.

EDIT: I just found a software update for the Forte on the website. We'll see if it fixes that small bug.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so far since installing the software update (2014) for Forte the little bug that I mentioned has not been a problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: