VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone use and M-Audio 2496?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Anyone use and M-Audio 2496? Reply with quote

I love the sound of the card, and I got it to work my my Avid software but the delta control panel that it uses is driving me nuts. Technically more music related than VO related, but it still relates.

I finally got around to swapping the computers around. man how I hate crawling around underdesks and untangling wires!! remind me to never do this again.

i did a quick sax recording in the office, seems not to bother the family any more than it did when I was in the garage. Space is tight, but this is the bigger, better, faster pc with the better software, so at least it's an option. Heck I didn't even connect everything on the other pc.

I upgraded the soundcard in this a while back to an M-Audio 2496 and while it sounds great, its confusing as all get out. I figured out how to hear what I was playing along with, and the sax signal going in simultaneously, but uncovered a problem that acts like the "what you hear" setting on some cheaper cards. It not only recorded the sax, but the backing tracks as well, all in the same track. ARRRGGHHH... so for now I can do either or- hear the backing track and only hear the sax thru external means, or hear the sax (actually for voice over i can switch the monitoring situation so I hear what is being recorded, so that works which is fine, unless I get a job where I have to match other tracks).

What bugs the heck out of me is this card really funky in this respect. My signal chain in here is Rode NT2>Aphex 107 pre-amp>M-Audio 2496 using Sonar/Audition/Audacity.(another issue with the latter two Audition uses the Fraunhoffer codec and sounds better than the Lame encoder in Audacity, but Audition doesn't allow for writing ID3Tags(at least that I can find) and Audacity does.

the card sounds great!, but its a software thing I think with the routing software and monitor mixer

all in all, with mowing the lawn after missing it once whiel in Disneyworld, crawling around under adn around desks, and dealing with 4 cranky kids who aren't really looking forward to heading back to school, it's been a laborius Labor Day. Laugh
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it sorted out.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a bit of an odessey for you, it seems.
I feel more than a bit helpless since I'm not hip to the technology you're using~!

It's good to know you're settled.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I love living on the bleeding edge! It kinda goes with the territory, when you use hardware that purportedly doesn't work with certain software (m-audio and Avid). Its one of the reasons I didnt buy the 2496, but when I won one on a podcast, well heck its free!! But I got that to work and now figured this out, it was a bit of a can't see the forest for the trees.

in short, just in case anyone else has this issue. Ihave to have the HW 1&2 routed to the Monitor mixer and turned up so I can hear the input and the other tracks, but within the recording software there are a plethora of inputs from which to choose. Choose that actual physical input, not monitor mixer.

I do my best thinking while on my daily commute. what say you, I should be concentrating on driving? Bah!

Laugh

now to get to work on a new demo.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use and M-Audio 2496? Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
but Audition doesn't allow for writing ID3Tags(at least that I can find)

Bill,

Audition does ID3 tags.

In Audition 1.5:

select VIEW from the top left. It's the third option in. Then select the last option in the drop down, PROPERTIES. A new window will pop up and I believe it defaults to the TEXT FIELD tab. If not you're want to select it. From there you have three different choices: STANDARD RIFF, RADIO INDUSTRY, or MP3 (ID3 TAG)

In Audition 2.0:

select FILE from the top left. It's the first option. Then select FILE INFO. A new window pops up and defaults to the TEXT FIELD tab. From there you have three different choices: STANDARD RIFF, RADIO INDUSTRY, or MP3 (ID3 TAG).

And, I just learned something new that works for both versions while typing this up. Just hit CTRL P and the file info window pops up in both 1.5 and 2.0. Sweet, I love shortcuts.

B
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Man, that worked like a charm.... CTRL P gotta love those shortcuts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: