VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Focusrite Clarett interface/pres :devil:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: New Focusrite Clarett interface/pres :devil: Reply with quote

As if we really need to spend more money Devil
http://us.focusrite.com/clarett-range?Public=&utm_content=#
I'm sure they sound pretty gooooood.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I signed up to be notified when the 2 is ready and told them to take my money already.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a wire transfer Money Mouth
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I see is this: What if you do not own an Apple Thunderbuster capable product? You can tell who they are betting their money on.

And Focusrite's current line of Thunderbuster devices are not selling well either..... makes one wonder, doesn't it??????

Frank F
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they'll put out a USB version of it also. why limit sales?
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys looking at these for the converters or the pre-amps?

And what kind of $$$$. I didn't see a price.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$499 is the MAP for the Pre2. I'm not really in the market for one it just caught my eye from some of the NAMM new products.

I think Focusrite and others have started putting good usable preamps into interfaces in the past 2 years. The tech is on a forward roll and given the use of these by indie muscians/bands as well as VO actors it's catching on as a staple product for those that are not top tier talent or studios. (That's a big market)
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Forte and it's pres are not bad but still no match for my John Hardy M-1
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, I thought this was Focusrite's first foray into Thunderbolt. Are you talking about the Saffire series, which is originally designed for firewire, but Thunderbolt compatible with no less than two additional adapters? Wink

I agree their popularity has certainly waned, but they sounded like solid performers before firewire went the way of the dodo (I think Scott Brick still uses one in his studio.)
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saffire is fully Thunderboomer compatible now. This is Focusrite's explanation for the current Saffire series:

"All of Focusrite's FireWire interfaces are now fully compatible with Thunderbolt using simple FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter (not included). Focusrite fully supports the use of Thunderbolt with our FireWire interfaces. "

Using the adapter for ThunderStuff slows down the throughput of the interface and depletes the robustness of the quality of the audio interface.

Firewire is still and often in use on PC's; whereas Apple had created their own version of Firewire with T-buster in a marketing ploy which may or may not succeed.

However this new Focusrite series is designed ONLY to use Thundershowers. It is not even rumored to have a USB counterpart in the future.

So for PC users who do not aspire to having Thunderbolt on their computer - this is a no deal, no brainer - as you cannot use it even if you wanted to buy one.

Focusrite has sidled up with Apple. It will have it's pro's and con's for the company; and I for one wish them good luck with their decision.

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,
As always, your answers are insightful, judicious, and hilarious.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... maybe I've lost the plot here (not unusual). Focusrite have a range of products for Firewire and USB called Saffire and Scarlett. Apart from cosmetics and a few minor tech differences they are pretty much the same in i/o capability and quality. Firewire is dead, and if I want to connect my Firewire interface to my new iMac I've got to use a Firewire/Thunderfart convertor. Only $30, but who needs that... it's so UN-Maclike!

To me, this is just Focustite re-packaging their existing range for people who want to connect directly to Thundercat. I quite like their products... nothing stellar, but for the price, they're OK (I have the 2i2 as a travel interface).

Thunderpuss is a long-term industry gamble... but isn't everything? I think it's going to get more traction, more quickly than firewire did. But, as I said... maybe I've lost the plot here Smile
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderinsert your fave here
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see the Thunderbolt or hear the Lighteningclap?

Firewire is not dead, yet. But Thuhunderbolt has made the sound of a thud on the audio consumer market.

Much as ISDN has hung on, so goes firewire. Apple made a bid tado about nothing when it decided to go out on it's own with a new interface called ThunderStuff. It has not grown on the market, neither professional or consumer. Until Thunderbuster makes it mainstream it will stay an "also almost ran" interface.

What is likely to take the cake is the "ethernet audio interface" which is faster still than USB, firewire or t-stuff.

There is not a plethora of outboard gear (i.e.: hard drives, optical drives, audio interfaces, video monitors, etc) which have adopted the Apple interface as yet, and in the current marketplace that spells doom for Thunderbuster. What will consumers who own devices with Thundershowers do for device integration? So far, punt. Buy a firewire device and get an adapter is the only logical choice. Or you can lobby Apple to bring back a solid interface and stop playing around.

As for Focusrite, I have liked the products; although they have a short lived quality assured life. Personally, I am looking forward to a product which will last a lifetime and sound great without the need to play adapter games and trying to keep up with McIntoshes or Jonses for interfaces and other capabilities. I know - I am a dreamer.

Good luck Focusrite. Good luck Apple, Good luck Thunder-thingy.

Frank F

Now, that you have read my diatribe, please remember I am the guy who said CD's were a passing fad....
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proof of the pudding...

I just upgraded my MacPro to a new iMac. I was using an Apogee Duet Firewire interface. My only choice was to get a Thunderbird/Firewire dongle, a new Thunderquake interface, or...

Buy an Audient iD22 USB3 interface Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: