VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old website vs. New website
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Old website vs. New website Reply with quote

Happy new year!

I've been dabbling with changing my website from just a personal VO site to a company website. The old website was really simple, and has served me well for 8 years now (yikes), but it was due for a change.

The goal for the new website is to establish an online presence as a professional talent and production company, with hooks into establishing a social media presence, blog, newsletter, yada, yada, and basically finding and establishing my voice in the industry.

It's a pretty dramatic difference, so I'm interested in hearing your reactions to the change. Also, I'm wondering if the new site has enough "branding". I know I need to add more content (some combination of background, experience, equipment, offerings, personality) - but I'm struggling with how much and where to start.

Lastly, I did this myself on Squarespace, so feel free to tell me to "scrap it and hire a professional!" if that's the route I need to go.

Old site: www.juliaknippen.com
New site: www.talkingladystudios.com

Thank you!!!!
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get the old site to come up, but I looked at the new site. Lemme start with, I love your voice and I love you demo. BUT- I am really not a fan of having your picture on a vo site. If I'm looking for a certain voice type or quality I may see a picture and think this ain't it...and it very well may be exactly what I'm looking for. But the picture adds a layer of judgement that may or may not be true. Perhaps I think you look too old for the job, or too young, or not "mom" enough, etc. I say let the buyers judge on the demo, not the face. But that's just me. As for the site itself, it's fine!! Clean, user friendly. But most importantly, your work rocks!! B
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen likes my demo! Smile

Thank you so much for the kind words and taking the time to check out the site, Bob. I totally year you on the no-picture rationale, and I knew it would be controversial. I've weighed the arguments for and against, and I thought I'd give it a try. I understand it as a general rule, but in this specific case, do you think it's a detraction? I'm not married to having my photo there, but my reasoning was that it lends a human touch and is pretty age and type agnostic. I'm still on the fence, so I really appreciate your perspective.

Thanks again!
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things about auditioning for jobs is that we hardly ever find out WHY we don't land a gig. My thinking is often "for all I know I could sound just like the director's ex-boyfriend/husband or sworn enemy", and that's what cost me the gig. Accordingly, one of the reasons I don't have a pic of myself on my site is there's no real upside but the downside is I could resemble someone the would-be client knows and has a distaste for (or he/she could have an irrational phobia of facial hair). But the primary reason is, as Bob pointed out, they're there to buy my voice and vocal performance only... anything else that could be a distraction from that product I've tried to avoid.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how clean the site is, but the picture itself (not the content of the picture) is not high enough resolution to look professional. If you ARE going to do a picture, I would recommend a better picture. I am also in the "no picture" camp. If there is the possibility of pre-judgement based on appearance, I want to eliminate that. Same reason I don't mention what gear I use on my site. If someone really wants to know, I'm happy to tell them, but I just want them to hear the demo or the audition and make the decision based on that. As long as the site is professional looking, easy to use, and highlights the important things (i.e. your demos and contact info).

Those are just my thoughts though Smile
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juliaknippen wrote:
I understand it as a general rule, but in this specific case, do you think it's a detraction?

I do. Time is money. A demo will get a 4 second listen. You either grab em during that time or you don't. Same goes for a website. You get a 4 second look. If in that 4 seconds the visual, for whatever reason, gives the visitor a reason to leave without hearing your work, the site has worked against you.

Let's say you are shopping for an agent. They see your picture. They know they have several of "your type" that they already represent and pass without ever hearing your demo. Perhaps your demo sounds nothing like the conflicts who resemble your type. You just lost out and it's hard to impossible to get second chances in this business. You get one opportunity to make a good impression.

You want to be judged on your vo skills, period.

.....and yes, I very much like your demo! Your delivery is fresh, conversational, personality driven. Very much en vogue with today's vo market!! Wink
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much everyone! Back to the drawing board on the home page imagery.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am old, fat, and sassy and getting uglier (I know hard to believe, huh?). For that reason and the fact that I have been around for a very long time in this business... I sometimes put my picture on a site. But I do not care about what people think or not.

If you choose to put a pic on your site, then do so. If you choose not to put a pic on your site then do not. Julia, YOU should make the choice - not me, not Bob, not Jason, not Chris, --- no one else. One should never have to defend their decisions on THEIR site.

Taking suggestions are one thing and because you asked, the suggestions are worth what you paid for them.

I like the new site. I enjoy your sound. I like the pic. Keeping the new site to one page would be ideal. You do not need to explain who you are or what you do. Links to someone else get other peoples sites notoriety and take them away from your website. No one but other VO's care about your equipment or your former or present clients; and if a potential customer wants to know about who you have worked with or what equipment is in your tool box - they can ask. Just make sure your contact link is large enough to spot at a glance.

OK, I have waxed poetic long enough. So I end this post with this thought:

"We each have a special something inside of us... like a small flame.

If we let it... that flame can fuel our dreams.

Cherish that flame,

Hold it as a torch to light your way.

There is no fire like passion.

Light the fire!"

Frank F
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I need to clean my glasses... Upon first glance, I read your link and thought, "Talking Gladys Studios -- what a COOL name! I wonder what the story is behind it...?"

Embarrassed

I like Talking Lady, too, but if you want to change it to Talking Gladys, I'm 100% behind you...

And I adore your commercial demo -- so fun and fresh and cool, everything I wish I still were... Smile

I see both sides of the photo issue. I think you just need to go with your gut... Or do a shoot-out: take the photo off for three months, then put it on for three months, and compare your site/page load stats.

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Kristin, you've still got it, girl Smile

Thanks so much for the kind words. I know I need to listen to my gut on this one. I just wish my gut would speak up!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a graphic-centric guy - i noticed the low-ish resolution of the pic right away --- it could be a lot sharper. as for pic or no-pic --- i see both sides - but i'm in the "go with your gut" party.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about it ...... http://www.elisacanas.com/
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule, made up by those who make the rules, is no photos for voiceover sites. I mean look at Bob Bergen:

Looking at this photo would you think for a minute that he could play a a diction challenged pig, or a conniving canary, or a very fast Mexican mouse? Not in a millllllion years. (boinnnnnggg)

And never mind that Bob does have his photo (tiny) on his site.

To me you look like you sound and your sound does not vary much between the samples you offer so this could be a rule to break.

I'd definitely consider putting maybe 3 of your best video samples on your main page individually instead of glued together. No sense making "time-challenged" producers go hunting for the goods. They're also not likely to watch several in a row.

Onward and upward!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the difference, Bruce. I'm in the business 30 plus years. I have an established, nationally recognized brand. If julie were at the same place in her career, she wouldn't have asked for or needed advice.

And you made my point. To YOU she looks like she sounds. To me as well. And if every buyer agreed with us, she'd be golden. But they don't.

And Philip, who is she????
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, in the context of this thread, the site (she) is a reminder of something. The reminder will resonate with Julia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: