VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Posting a mic shootout for an Audiobook friend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Posting a mic shootout for an Audiobook friend Reply with quote

Hi, everyone!

My friend asked me to A/B some mics for him, and I offered to post it here, because I consider the ears available here to be far more honed than mine! If you'll take a minute to give a listen and offer feedback, I'm sure he will be very grateful.

https://soundcloud.com/david-radtke-vo/three-raw-mics

Warmest Regards,

Sean
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mic#1
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the NT1A. I thought the KSM32 was a bit muddy, and the E100S a bit harsh.

That was through MDR-7506s. Through my Macbook Air speakers, they sounded identical.
@RichMillerVO
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... I agree. Not a lot between 1 & 2, but I'd lean towards 1. The CAD was certainly harsher than the others.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Any of the above Reply with quote

While listening on a mac computer over the built in speakers it was difficult to pick up much in the way of differences. They all sound quite usable to my ears (again over built-in computer speakers).

If I had to choose one of them, perhaps I would also go with mic 1.

Recently did a shoot out at a studio in Helsinki, with the NT1-A, a modified NT1-A, and a U87. It was actually quite difficult, over the great monitor speakers they had, to find much of a difference.

The new Rode NT1 was added later to that shootout and it sounded very good! It was even the least expensive of the bunch. Go figure!

By the way, if you want a more accurate test I suggest that you do NOT post the audio to SC. They compress it and it will change the sound sometimes significantly. (The downloaded files I understand are exactly what you upload and not compressed). But, when someone listens directly from SC they listen to the compressed files. Upload to PlopBox or something like it. You will be surprised at the difference. Smile

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Mic 1.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone who's chimed in so far! FinMac, I told David about your suggestion about Sound Cloud's compression, and another link may be pending soon. I was also personally interested in your thoughts on the NT1, as it seemed a little more attractive to me than the NT1-A (maybe cause I think it just looks sexier! Wink

Again, thank you everyone for your feedback, it sounds like we'll soon have another inductee to BB!

Warmest Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: