VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source-Connect: What version is everyone using?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Source-Connect: What version is everyone using? Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Source-Connect NOW requires that both parties use the Chrome browser. And, from what I just saw on Source Elements website, Source-Connect Pro is required to support the restore/replace thingamabob.

Is anyone using Source-Connect Standard successfully with studios and, if yes, any issues to share?

Thanks.

bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

In the last few years, I've actually had a few sessions using Source Connect with the studio on the other end was having trouble with their ISDN service. I'm using Source Connect Standard. No issues.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use standard, and it does have the Q Manager feature that will repair and replace audio if there are drops. I typically do 3-6 SC sessions a week with various studios and have never had an issue that wasn't resolved with a quick reconnect, and I've only had to do that twice in 2 years of using it regularly.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC Pro is REALLY only needed by the production if they want to use repair/replace. The talent side needs only SC Standard. If you are a road-warrior, the additional features in Pro can be helpful, but once SC 3.9 comes out they may be less important. 3.9 is purported to have a fix for the port-mapping requirement that makes working from the road a hairy proposition at times.

In the not so distant future, SC Now and SC will connect together, but there's not a definitive roll-out date for that feature. For the record, my experiences with SC Now in latest beta have been very positive.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I've also asked the various ISDN studios I work with who also use/are considering using Source-Connect what their other VO talent use.

All of those studios in the U.S. answered: Standard. However, a studio In Germany said most of their talent use Pro because of the higher bit rate (160kbps per channel vs the 96 offered by Standard). They did say that 96kbps is sufficient for most jobs, but they like the sound of 160 a little better. This studio also prefers that talent locally record while streaming as a backup. I can understand their desire for the higher quality, but I would think the extra demand would create more potential dropouts; hence the need for the backup recording.

Anyone else care to tell me what you're using? Thanks!

ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Standard as well, and when the studio wants me to record locally I do record on my laptop (not my SC computer).
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Source Connect anywhere from multiple times in a week (I also bridge to ISDN with it) to a least twice a month. I'm on standalone Standard 3.8.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard on my system. I will say the bridges have 1-2sec delays with some studios. I use comcast internet with blast. My speeds are pretty good. 60down 12 up
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed is a part of the equation, another is latency. You can do a Speedtest.net and you'll find out your Ping time (shorter is better). Here on FiOS it's 7ms, insanely good. Those Germans always put audio quality "uber alles". Anything above 96kbps AAC Mono is overkill, IMHO.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: