VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AWESOME audiobook mastering software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: AWESOME audiobook mastering software Reply with quote

Ok, so I recently was turned on to a really killer software package that seems to work VERY well. Basically it takes your raw files and processes them to your exact specs and then outputs them just the way you like. So I can take a raw edited chapter of a book and the software will do a hipass filter, noise reduction, analyze and then compress/limit and normalize to put it just where I want it. No more mastering manually. Just stick the edited files in and get mastered files out. You can set what the target peak and LUFS levels are (and LUFS ends up being close enough to RMS so you can satisfy Audible specs easily) as well as setting the amount of noise reduction, whether or not you need a HPF. It will even output as WAV or MP3 OR FLAC. AND it is Window and Mac.

I have edited many books for others and I used a less than stellar input file and got a VERY good output file. So you really could edit in Audacity (if you don't want to spend any money on an editor) and then master with Auphonic and you've got killer sounding audio. The only thing it doesn't do is EQ, so if your audio needs EQ or Deessing, then you may have to do that...but I almost never use those when mastering audiobooks.

The name is Auphonic and the software license is $89 for non-commercial use and $399 for commercial use. But to me, even $399 kicks butt to be able to only spend 10 minutes of my time on mastering.

Anyone used this before?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of a mixed mind when it comes to plug-ins (or separate processing stand-alones). I like Izotope because it does some stuff that my Adobe Audition does not do easily (I love the de-clipper and de-crackler). I'm not sure that this $399 mastering suite would do anything that I can't do by recording a processing sequence in AA and saving it as a "favorite" (or using Twisted Wave and setting up a stack)

...although I do see your point about being able to use the free Audacity as your main recording software and then passing it over to Auphonic... but to my thinking, at $399, it's a bit like putting lipstick on a pig Smile

OK... that's harsh, but $80 will get you Twisted Wave... and even if you're not happy with a mastering process, another small dip into the wallet will get you a custom stack from our own George Whittam!
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all true, providing you don't master other people's audio. I can make a favorite for my owns studio that doesn't change, but making a new one for other people's audio is where the time comes in. I can definitely see that it isn't the best and most cost effective solution for those who just work with their own audio.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Auphonic. It's pretty much magic.
Branimir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know what you see in this piece of software. I tried it and concluded that it was not anything special, in fact too expensive. For 400$ you can buy a better quality plug-in or software for mastering, with more features for better sound.

www.epp.hr
www.croatian-voiceover.com
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with the online version last year... I know the results are there, but it's weird letting algorithms do my work for me. That fact that it evolves and gets better and better, as a human with experience would, is pretty damn amazing.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Branimir wrote:
For 400$ you can buy a better quality plug-in or software for mastering, with more features for better sound.

Specifically what would you recommend that is as fast, easy to use, powerful, and processes multiple files automatically? Especially files with varying levels of noise.

I've used a lot of different software packages for mastering and haven't found anything as easy and efficient.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:

Specifically what would you recommend that is as fast, easy to use, powerful, and processes multiple files automatically? Especially files with varying levels of noise.

I've used a lot of different software packages for mastering and haven't found anything as easy and efficient.

iZotope Nectar 2 and RX 4, but cost more than your solution.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batch processing. Fast. Returned my life.

Sold.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in RX 4, I just got an incredible deal from Jason Koons at Sweetwater thanks to Don Baarns in the Audio Rescue Facebook group. Got it for about $250, $100 off retail.

Warmest Regards,

Sean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: