VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first mic shootout
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: My first mic shootout Reply with quote

Earlier today I hooked up both my Rode K2 and my CAD e100s at the same time and learned for certain that my mystery noise issue* is something that is NOT caused by the microphone. That was a bit disappointing since I love an easy fix!

But hooking up two mics at the same time also taught me that - Hey, this is fun! I had no idea they could sound so different. Mind you, I suppose this difference might also be influenced by how I am physically positioned - there's a lot of hardware and pop filters in my face now and I may have been addressing one mic more directly than the other.

Here is a brief snippet of an audition I just did, mic A followed by Mic B:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/08lqjap1d0xs1yz/lightsell_shootout.wav?dl=0

And another snippet of nonsense but in a slightly different voice style, mic A followed by mic B:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmc5c6tt63yz2nk/oozing_shootout.wav?dl=0

No processing at all, other than an HPF run on the Rode (while the CAD has the built-in HPF switched on).

I would love to hear your opinion on the difference between the two mics, and also whether you think one is better suited to my voice than the other. (and even your guesses as to which is which, if you'd like)

*in this thread: http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17627

Last edited by Foog on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: A or B Reply with quote

Hei Andrew,

In the first sample, they sound so close to my poor old ears, that it is difficult to distinguish them apart.

But in the second sample I prefer A for commercials and B for longer form narration. A seems to have more low end to it than B.

So, if pressed I actually prefer A Smile

by the way, after listening to the first sample I began to wonder if you ever take any breaths! You should you know, it's good for your health!

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Scott. To me neither really is a winner..... although ....A has a defined bottom and top end, just more definition and it comes through better in the first (audition) read.

If a mic grinch came and said "one only" then it would be mic A, but I could also live with B in the first read.

By the way is the K2 with standard or upgraded tubes?

Cheers
Peter
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K2 is, far as I know, standard. Though I got a free replacement of the tubes last year from their Canadian service folks in Montreal (great people!), so maybe the new tubes are an "upgrade"? Alas, I am rather clueless in these things.

I'm surprised to hear the judgment so far being quite close to my own... maybe I should trust my ears more than I do.

Oh, and Scott? About never taking a breath? You should have heard the part I cut out of the second read! That was actually the first thing I recorded with both mics live, so it opened with:

Wheeeee
ThisissomuchfunIcan'tbelieveInevermanagedtogetbothmicshookedupatthesametimehowcoolisthat-notonlyisitanexperimentthatIshouldadoneagesagowhenIfistgottheCADitevenlookswaycoolan'stuffyippeee!Ishouldtakeapicture
wheeee!

All without pause or breath Laugh

kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion (which really means nothing)....

I would use mic 1 if my end goal was clean and current. If, however, I was after something a little darker, I would lean towards mic 2 with a cheap ass Art Tube Pre and a little more eq.

I don't think anyone can adequately answer which mic is suited to your voice, there are far to many unknowns. I'm going to ask you to try shifting your perspective slightly, to that of your listener, who is asking: Is this believable? Both of these mics are capable of capturing your performance in a way that will allow you to answer that question.

Hope that helps.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Mic 1
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On both recordings:

the fist mic is the CAD e100s
and the second one is the Rode K2.

Seems the consensus is that if a choice had to be made, the CAD sounds better. But not by a radical amount or anything.

The surprising thing to me was how much less, I dunno... "oomph" the Rode had on the first recording. Maybe it is a function of my playback environment and the monitors I'm using, but it sounded kinda flat or compressed. And even though I had normalized both segments to -3 db so that volume differences wouldn't be a factor, it sounded quieter to mine lumps o wood.

chuckweis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foog wrote:
Seems the consensus is that if a choice had to be made, the CAD sounds better. But not by a radical amount or anything.

Actually, and this is listening on both headphones and very good studio monitors, Mic 1 wins pretty handily.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, are you also noticing what my poor layman's parsing labels as a kinda-sorta-compressed-sound-lacking-"oomph" in the Rode? Maybe it's a lack of low end thing rather than a "compression" type of sound. Whatever it is, to my ears there's something there that seems a bit lifeless compared to the CAD. (my apologies for failing so spectacularly at describing what I am hearing.)

And I wonder whether positioning, proximity, or changing the cardoid pattern will improve things or exacerbate the issue. Not that I'm overly concerned. I've been using the CAD on pretty much everything since I got it last year.

chuckweis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it sounds kinda lifeless, esp in comparison to the Cad. Doesn't really have any richness to it. I wonder if something isn't quite right with it....I had a Rode NTK that really sounded quite nice, and I "think" the K2 should sound even better than that.
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your chain? Preamp?
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevens wrote:
What is your chain? Preamp?
Both mics into an Audient id22 (I'm using its built-in preamps), then into my Macbook Pro running Pro Tools 11. (The Rode has a proprietary power supply thingie between the mic and the id22)

Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer A as you have your chain configured. B sounds a little thin.

The ID22 pre's are pretty (humbling) critical and will bring out the weak points in most mics (and voices).

Personally I am not fan of on mic HPF they all have a tendency to have a different slope and db. I prefer to do all my filtering in post. For my voice most on mic HPF are set way to high which misses a lot of dynamic and vocal color..

I would try both mics again without the HPF's engaged and see how they sound. Also make sure your K2 has been warmed up for a good 20-30 mins before you use it. I will guess your CAD will sound a bit more well rounded.

My .00 cents.... my free advice is prolly worth just about that. =)

Bob
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. The HPF issue inspires me to ask another question, but I think I'll start a new thread about it.

And I always warm up the K2. One of the things I like better about the CAD, regardless of whether it "sounds" better on my voice or not, is that I could just fire it up and go rather than wait for those bledddy tubes to warm up Laugh

Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not completely read the initial post, and thus the part about using the HPFs.....IMO to get a true read on these mics you should post unprocessed audio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: