VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LDC mic "audition killer" for bass-baritione Male?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: LDC mic "audition killer" for bass-baritione Male? Reply with quote

I recently posted a mic query on one of the FB VO groups, and one response was that any male with a deeper voice (unless they are doing books) is ill - advised to use a Large Diaphragm Condenser for everyday VO work, auditions, jobs. etc.. the same gent suggested that one would be wise to stick with a 416 across the board..

It's common knowledge that a LDC and a shotgun are two completely different animals in the VO world, but I never actually considered that using an LDC would jeopardize your chances if being used as an audition mic, in todays market.. Is the 416 really the end all be all for typically deeper male voices who ARE NOT doing audio book work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dislike being condescending toward others but simply put: who the H^%% are they? This is why one cannot listen to others who do not know microphones. The story is from someone who was and or IS in radio and does not know microphones.

I am not going any further as I do not want to make my blood pressure boil. I will finish with this soft comment: Do not listen to ANYONE else, listen for and to yourself.

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the 416 to be indispensable, but only after much trial and error in learning to use it.

That being said, a good LDC (Neumann U87, TLM 103, AKG 414, CAD E100 etc.) can also be indispensable for certain projects.

I also have a CAD M177 that I got for less than $100 that I was playing around with the other day and it was surprising how with a little tweaking it had just about as much presence as the 416.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: LDC mic "audition killer" for bass-baritione M Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
... any male with a deeper voice (unless they are doing books) is ill - advised to use a Large Diaphragm Condenser for everyday VO work, auditions, jobs. etc..

What a bunch of bull that is. Just ask the thousands of deep voiced actors who use them every day to make their living.

The lesson? Facebook is NOT the place to trust for good advice on anything.

In fact, I'm going to post this there right now!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "wisdom of the crowd" is an oxymoron.

Some say the 416 is a great all-round mic, even for audiobooks (some very well-know male narrators use a 416 - one not a million miles from this board). Some say the 416 is good for promo/commercial and nothing else. Some say it's all smoke & mirrors and it's only good for location shooting (what it was designed for). Leave the FB discussion before someone says all you need is an RE20 for everything.

You will never get a straight answer from a Facebook group. People there pontificate and pretend they are the font of all wisdom. The only valid answer will be provided by listening to your own voice in your own environment.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The wisdom of the Bish," however, is neither oxy-, nor -moronic.

This:

Bish wrote:
The only valid answer will be provided by listening to your own voice in your own environment.

Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some straight shooters on the FB forums, but regardless, when discussing microphones, no matter what the forum there are no definitive answers. And I'm don't think Im looking for any magic wonder microphone

However unless, you are privvy to a bottomless mic locker, how else does one narrow the choices in order to find a good sampling to experiment with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Captain54 wrote: "...how else does one narrow the choices in order to find a good sampling to experiment with?"

Listen to every microphone you can get your ears onto! Then, try the microphones out for yourself.

Remember, a specific microphone OWNER will be more adamant about the virtues of a microphone than a casual listener to the same microphone. And there are others who just plain think they know what is good for you. So asking questions without having heard the microphone on YOUR voice will get you dreams, hype, and B.S.

Frank F
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Does this microphone make me sound fat?" cool
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... But it makes your butt look big. Laugh
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Captain54 wrote: "...how else does one narrow the choices in order to find a good sampling to experiment with?"

Determine your budget range
Make sure your recording space is up to snuff, along with the rest of your signal chain

Find dealers/places that have a generous return policy (remember you'll have to pay for return shipping, which with insurance can run around $20)

Peruse boards like this one to get an idea of which mics you want to try.

(I would start with the industry standards since in most cases there's a reason they are standards)

Then comes the fun part.....trying out the mics!
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the internet: bubbling cauldron of frequently baseless opinion, petri dish of self-proclaimed experts and cattle auction for voice-over Pied Pipers.

IMHO, Frank and Rob (thus far) have THE advice.

captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the return fee and shipping from dealers and the mics I've bought and sold on Ebay.. probably could have bought a shiny new mic or two..

I went through this with travel mics.. after going thru at least a half dozen or so, I bought a mic sight unseen and untested, that was recommended by someone on this board, and have been using it for over a year now as a a travel mic..

I think the ultimate test for whether a mic is right for you is 1) if its an audition mic, are you booking? 2) if it's a job mic, are your clients happy?

I think one's ears are useful. to a point.. I auditioned for something once on a $50 USB mic as sort of a test, thinking it was a long shot to book the gig anyway.. I booked it.. and it turned out to be one of the biggest things I've done.. the engineer even pulled up the mp3 in the actual session and commented as to how good it sounded..

Maybe it was the vibe of the performance combined with the mic that simply aligned with the stars in another galaxy. who knows..? Point is, how WE think we sound as opposed to how the CLIENT thinks we sound.. can be two entirely different things..
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the difference between an "audition" mic and a "job" mic? I audition and do work on the mic I feel sounds best on my voice. If you have A mic that makes your voice sound the best it can, do you need a separate mic? I get different mics for different final products, but wouldn't you use the best mic for the job for the audition too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: