VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For the "old" radio folks....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: For the "old" radio folks.... Reply with quote

You Know You're An Aging Radio DJ If...

You were first hired by a GM who actually worked in radio before becoming a GM...

You excitedly turn the radio up at the sound of "dead air" on the competitor's station...

Sales guys wore Old Spice to cover the smell of liquor...

You were playing Elvis' number one hits when he was alive...

Engineers could actually fix things without sending them back to the manufacturer...

You worked for only ONE station, and you could actually name the guy who owned it...

You remember when only "hippies" listened to FM...

Radio stations used to have enough on-air talent to field a softball team every summer...

You're at least 10 years older than the last two GM's who fired you...

You know the difference between good reel-to-reel tape and cheap reel-to-reel tape....

You have a white wax pencil, a razor blade, and a spool of 3M splicing tape in your desk drawer - just in case...

You know people who actually listened to baseball games on the radio...

You can post a record, run down the hall, go to the bathroom, and be back in 2:50 for the segue...

You still refer to CDs as "records"...

You've been married at least 3 times, or, never married at all...

You answer your home phone with the station call letters....

You have several old air-check cassettes in a cardboard box in your closet that you wouldn't dream of letting anyone hear anymore, but, you'll never throw them out or tape over them... Never!

You have a couple of old transistor radios around the house with corroded batteries inside them....

You were a half an hour late for an appearance and blamed it on the directions you received from the sales person....

You've run a phone contest and nobody called, so you made up a name and gave the tickets to your cousin...

People who ride in your car exclaim, "Why is your radio so loud?" ...

You remember when people actually thought radio was important...

Frank F
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Frank! Stop following me. <g>

Great post! Yesterday I was on a local station to celebrate a friend's 10th anniversary on talk radio. He left my radio program as my newsman to do this and I wanted to be a part. Of course the place was owned by one company that now owns 8 stations in our market. The 401K has rolled over more times than Heidi Fleiss.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--A 33 got a quarter back spin and a 45 got full back spin on cue-up.

--The chick who keeps calling you up to meet for a date always looks like

Medusa.

--Stairway To Heaven runs exactly 7 minutes 21 seconds, long enough to run over to the bar next door, down a shot, chase it with a beer and be back in time to front sell another piece of crap from the movie Grease. And if you're really organized, take a hit from the roach sitting in the ash tray of your '69 Dodge Coronet.

--You still carry your "1st Phone" license in your wallet.

--The ball team never made it to 9th inning because we were always too drunk and stoned to finish.

--You never quite got that "phasing the transmitter at sunset" thing down pat.

--The PD would complain about jocks going on air stoned while passing you his pipe.

--And the most frequently asked question from a listener: "Why won't Paul Harvey come to the phone.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the white wax pencils and the multiple marriages.

I remember picking out my 45's from the "gold" library before my show every evening.

Fear of liability lawsuits wrecked the softball games between stations, but we managed some damned fine intra-station football games after work in the summers.

The weekend guys would show up, some sales guys, a couple of us daily dweebs. Those and my husband and kids made for enough to field two good teams.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster and former pot head named "guest" above was me. I had to repair my browser and clean out my cookies in the process.
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Backtiming.

-Dead air dreams.

-Putting together a newscast from the AP wire and actualities (is that done anymore?).

-The thrill of being the only station still up during a major flood in our town, sleeping at the station, punchy while delivering the latest updates, knowing how important radio was to the people who were in their homes listening on transistors because all the power was out for days.

-Knowing that our reporting of local news and events really made a difference to the people in our community.

Those were the days.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
donrandall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank - I already know I'm old. Thanks a lot, buddy.

Did you really use that gawd awful splicing tape? I think I'd rather use a staple than that garbage. I always used Scotch brand invisible mending tape.

Someone said something about having dreams about dead air - I have been away from that scene for a decade or so, and still have those dreams!

The last interstation softball game was interesting. Somewhere along the line, we lost the only softball we had - - and no one even figgered it out for 3 beers.
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Or in my case...you knew you'd made it when you worked at a station with splice tabs and jock shouts where they would sing your name, not shout it. LOL
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze, you guys had jingles?

Splice tabs ain't necessary if ya splice it right. Ya gotta put on a whole big buncha tape - that way you can spot it a mile away. It's all a matter of technique. Us really lazy guys invented a lot of technique....
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Thanks a lot, guys and gals.

I had finally stopped dreaming about those false endings on songs like "Suspicious Minds", and making that mad dash from the coffeemaker only to have Elvis come fading back in for the real ending.

And the weekly argumen...er...meetings between the PD and the sales manager.

And the remotes from the car dealers who asked "Why aren't you selling more cars'.

And...

Yeah, thanks a lot! Smile
voicejones
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How True!

You might be an old radio guy if you worked with guys who did big band remotes for the networks and recorded them on record lathes.

You might be an old radio guy if you remember the day the GM walked in,

looked at the RCA mikes and said throw that old crap out of hear and get some nice modern SM-7's from Shure.

You might be an old radio guy if you still know how to rip AP or UPI wire copy from a teletype machine with your thumb nail.

You might be an old radio guy if you were excited the day the new solid state transmitter went on the air and you look back and realize those old tubes sounded better.

You might be an old radio guy if you know the difference between a First Phone and a Third Phone.

And the hits just keep on happenin'

JJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Andy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my "First Phone" certificate sitting in a scrapbook at the house.

Damn, haven't heard that term in years. And in spite of the crash course for the test, I still couldn't phase the towers correclty at dusk worth a damn. :lol:
billelder

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy...two words

Element Nine Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
Andy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! And when I thought I did...the call would come from Mexico, "Senior, you're stepping all over us."
redheadedrocker

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: you know your an aging... Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: