VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio Interface for SM7B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Audio Interface for SM7B Reply with quote

So my 10-year old refurb laptop computer finally had to be replaced with a new MacBook Air....what I failed to account for is that the Air has only USB ports (versus firewire which my old one had).....so now I need to find a USB interface that has enough gain and low enough noise and won't break the bank to use with a Shure SM7B which is one of my road mics. Any suggestions?

OR

Should I turn my home studio's Focusrite Forte (which has enough clean gain to drive the SM7B) into my road interface and get something like the Mackie Knob for my home studio, since in my home studio lots of clean gain is not the main concern but rather all that is needed in terms of an interface is something with decent converters.? (since in my home studio I have a John Hardy pre which provides plenty of gain)

Thank you for any input!
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sm7b as a road mic? That's a hefty sum-of-gun. Either way, a $100 Triton FET head will make all of your gain problems go away
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Audio Interface for SM7B Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:
So my 10-year old refurb laptop computer finally had to be replaced with a new MacBook Air....what I failed to account for is that the Air has only USB ports (versus firewire which my old one had).....so now I need to find a USB interface that has enough gain and low enough noise and won't break the bank to use with a Shure SM7B which is one of my road mics. Any suggestions?

OR

Should I turn my home studio's Focusrite Forte (which has enough clean gain to drive the SM7B) into my road interface and get something like the Mackie Knob for my home studio, since in my home studio lots of clean gain is not the main concern but rather all that is needed in terms of an interface is something with decent converters.? (since in my home studio I have a John Hardy pre which provides plenty of gain)

Thank you for any input!

I had a Big Knob and hated it. Added a very noticeable grainy distortion. Maybe I had a duffer, but I got on much better with a cheap passive device from SM Pro Patch.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micport Pro maybe?
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, it might make more sense to just make my Forte, which is my main interface, into my travel rig.

All that I really need for my main studio is decent converters. I just don't want to cheap out on converters to the point that there is a noticeable difference in quality. I'd really like to keep it under $150-$200 if possible.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would make for better continuity using the Forte
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get another Forte, bro... they're discontinued so sure to get cheaper.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: