VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Build Happening
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Studio Build Happening Reply with quote

Alrighty I am partially moved into the new place and plans have changed. Rather than building everything in a room over the garage, I am going to take a bedroom and closet for my studio. The bedroom is a great size for the studio and then the closet is 8x6 and already pretty isolated. It also has one wall portion of where the ceiling to wall connection are at a 45 instead of a 90. That breaks up the parallel walls a bit.

I'll get pics up here pretty soon, but I am going a weird direction with this one. Rather than a solid core door, I am going to put a 4' tall window that I will walk through. There will end up being 2 windows back to back. I am guessing (and I could be wrong, but we'll see) that with less surface area that is not drywalled, less sound will penetrate.

So the basic plan is to remove the doors (there is a door on both sides of the closet), seal one, swap out for the windows on the other, then float the floor (thick rubber mat then OSB, then drywall, then OSB, then carpet with none of the floor touching the walls) then do 2 more layers of drywall with green glue about 1/4" above the floated floor.

I also picked up a case of the green glue acoustic caulk to seal all the joints that have gaps (i.e. the gap around the floor and under the drywall and where the window attaches) and thick putty pads to go behind all outlet covers. Then I am going to run cables through a small hole in the corner that will have putty all over the holes to keep sound for penetrating there.

I had to work before the green glue got here so I have a temporary setup with only the original drywall, the door sealed and the window in and was able to work just fine with plenty of recycled denim shoved in there.

More to come!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Studio Build Happening Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
then float the floor (thick rubber mat then OSB, then drywall, then OSB, then carpet with none of the floor touching the walls

You're going to sandwich drywall between two layers of OSB for the floor? I'm not sure this is such a good idea. Drywall was never meant to be walked on. If you're doing it to add mass to the floor, I'd use 3/4" MDF instead.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, sub floor only, mass rubber or isolation pads (the less expensive solution), the flooring. Quicker solution, provides a ""true" floating floor and is simple to replace when/if necessary.

Frank F
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto! Green glue between multiple layers then? If I just put rubber and OSB, wouldn't that be less mass than the walls and ceiling and thus result in sound finding its way in through the floor? What about rubber, OSB, rubber, OSB?
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's below the studio?
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kitchen...and my wife likes to use her Vitamix Smile
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, right..probably dishwasher is bigger concern because of structural vibration but if the floor is floated, I think you'll be fine.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Frank is talking about is similar to what I did in my booth. It's a 2x4 frame with sound insulation between the joists, isolated from the floor with Auralex U-boat floor floaters, with a layer of mass loaded vinyl for good measure, and topped with two layers of ½" MDF with Green Glue in between. Just to refresh your memory, here is a link to a post I made about it: http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16939
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post some links, but something doesn't like me today... so look up "vibrations isolation pads".

Amazon has a plethora of them. And there is always Home Depot also.

Oh and use your insulation material in the floor also. Stuff the cavities well so you do not have a hollow floor.

FF
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
The kitchen...and my wife likes to use her Vitamix Smile

ballenberg wrote:
Yes, right..probably dishwasher is bigger concern because of structural vibration but if the floor is floated, I think you'll be fine.

I never cease to be amazed at the noises that are potent, and the noises that are duds.

The mow-and-blow people show up every Friday to tidy-and-trim the entrance to the upscale subdivision entrance across the street from my little humble cottage. And as they begin their clean up, some one straps on that gasoline powered blower on his back, and it sonnds (to MY EARS like the largest angry bee you would ever see in a horror movie.) But when I turn on the recorder and leave the room while they play across the street, the buzzing bee plays back on the recoring like a how frequency hum... like an electric welder in someone's garage a couple of doors down.

A couple of months ago the tree trimmer came and took down some trees in MY yard and chipped them up with his big diesel powered wood chipper. I let the recorder run all day lang. When he felled a couple of 60 foot trees just behind my house, it felt and sounded like an earthquake to me. But on the recording, I couldn't locate the noise and thump of the falling trees.

But that damned tiny electric pump on top of my hot water heater that keeps hot water available instantly through out the house.... ALWAYS shut the intruder down when recording.

That equation mystifies me: tiny little 1/30th H.P. electric motor equals TROUBLE. Big diesel engine outside my window equals nothing.

I'm betting that when you finish your project, you will end up with a surprise to tell us about.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope for no surprises Smile I did find that the bathroom fan in the bathroom off the kitchen was a much greater noise than anything else. The dishwasher was running during a session this morning and I haven't done anything but stick the window (temporarily to work) in the framed hole and attached it with 6 screws and laid down rubber pads and OSB.

Ultimately, I think the biggest battle is going to be the garage door opener. The garage is below and off the back of the booth. Think floating the floor well and adding 2 additional (one already existed) layers of 5/8" drywall with green glue between both will do it?? I picked up 2 cases of green glue to use 2-3 tubes per sheet.

Lee...any last minute things that I should keep in mind before I start sticking things together with glue? This weekend I hope to finish at least hanging and caulking.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two tubes of Green Glue per 4X8 sheet of drywall is plenty. Using a third tube would be wasting it.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to know!
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a garage door issue, it's likely one of vibration rather than transmitted sound (I think..I'm no expert in this, just a noise survivor(mostly) Wink So any way you have of isolating the floor and walls from the vibration will help greatly. Are any of the walls of the booth attached to the same structure as the garage door? If so, any decoupling will help. Worst case: How often and how long is a garage door actually in use ? There's automatically one less possible garage user during a session: you Wink
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Worst case: How often and how long is a garage door actually in use ?

i agree with this logic. don't lose any sleep over it.

the air compressor in my garage (1/2 a house away) kicks on once or twice a day for 15 seconds.

it kinda looks like this:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: