VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Build Happening
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sound is the vibration of air molecules. Vibrations travel through objects and create waves (vibrations) in the air. Some transfer from one object to another. That's why isolation diminishes transfer of the vibrations between materials.

Density diminishes the ability of a solid to vibrate and transfer sound waves. Remember there is no such thing as sound proof. Think earthquake. Yes you can hear some earthquakes. Several I have experienced sounded like explosions. Earthquakes are vibrations (wave forms) moving through rock and dirt.

That little hot water pump is plumbed into your water pipes that go throughout the home. The sound is traveling through the pipes.

HVAC ducts not only have the blowing air noise but also the fan noise traveling down the duct work to your vents.

Best of luck.

greg@gregorybest.com
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the garage. Someone else told me that too Smile. There is a vibration kit that can be installed on the opener to lessen the vibration transmitted to the house. We'll see if it's really an issue once things are completed.

Here are a few pics. I had to work fast to get the basic booth up because I had work that needed to be done. The window will come out when I am putting the other drywall in place and sealing everything up. Gotta love working during construction.

vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory Best wrote:

HVAC ducts not only have the blowing air noise but also the fan noise traveling down the duct work to your vents.

Years ago I was working as an on-the-street sales rep calling on primarily retailers in Indianapolis, IN. With some regularity I would spend my lunch hour in the downtown main library branch where they had a significant section on architecture and the mechanics of building.

I was looking for acoustics and noise control. I clearly remember coming across this little "rule of thumb" in more than one place. (I also remember coming across some acoustical info that today we know was more folklore than fact based on today's knowledge.) Rule of thumb for A/C ducts: Never have a duct emptying into a room that is not at the end of piece of ductwork at least 10 times as long as it's diameter.

How many times in a house or office have you had just a vent coming out of the side of the main duct running through or past the room. And you could hear every conversation in the adjoining room or office.

The other rule of thumb from that era I remember: The duct serving a studio or quiet room must be large enough in diameter that the air flow never exceeds 200 feet per minute. A bit less is better. You will often run into HVAC where the aire is breezing along at 1,000 to 1,100 feet per minute. Boys and Girls: Can you say "Hurricane Velocity"?

So you make the duct large enough to bring the air in slowly. Now that it has been designed to be a larger diameter, the 10-times rule for length just got a LOT longer.

Of all the studio builds I have read about in this forum or other forums that discuss the design and construction of home studios, I have never heard anyone explain that they picked a location that would allow for large, slow air ducts. We seldom have that luxury for a home studio.

I stuffed old towels in the two vents that serve the room where my studio is, and ran a length of round fiberglass and foil flexible duct for a long ways through the attic. I need to make one more change in that system. It still makes a little extra noise.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! I've been super busy moving and building and working (thankfully) and haven't been doing any posting. The build is going good though. The initial booth had good enough isolation from most things. Kids screaming outside...check, trucks driving by...check, lawn mowers and weed whackers...check, kids playing in the house....check, wife using blender...check, heavy rain and thunder....not so great.

So, I had to do some more work. I decided to build another room inside the booth. I had the room, and I had a little extra money so why not. So I added an extra window window and inner room, added some massively heavy rubber (two horse stall mats that were 100# each) above the ceiling, and another layer of drywall, all with recycled denim insulation between the two.

All of that construction is almost done, but I had to stall it out for a bit while doing some work. Hopefully this weekend will be there day where I get the last couple drywall panels up and everything caulked and finished. I even got the ventilation worked out and built the structure of what I hope will turn out to be some good bass traps.

The end is in sight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: