VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Izotope RX4
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Wow is right! Reply with quote

Just bought it because of the Decrackler Smile

It'll be nice to find out what other goodies are in there next week!

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow is right! Reply with quote

FinMac wrote:
Just bought it because of the Decrackler Smile

It'll be nice to find out what other goodies are in there next week!
I found the decrackler to be disappointing. I guess each of our mouths give off errant noises in different ways and that particular tool didn't do much for my case. But the declicker, however... wow! It rocks! And the declipper has been a handy little tool on occasion too. The absolute best has been the audio photoshop (best way I can describe it) where you highlight a snippet, send it to RX4 outside of your DAW for a bit, and use various tools to shape and eliminate errant noise before sending it back. I've managed to work miracles once or twice, and am awestruck by the though of what someone that actually knows what they are doing could achieve.

Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody using this for audiobooks? If I could significantly reduce my editing time and still retain quality this might be worth it.
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:
Anybody using this for audiobooks? If I could significantly reduce my editing time and still retain quality this might be worth it.

I've got the same question. I got the Acon Restoration Suite for that very purpose, and have been somewhat disappointed: when I set it high enough to get most of the mouth noise (and occasional room "clicks" as well, my recording space is very quiet, but my house creaks a lot, and they creep in sometimes), it started giving me quite audible artifacts.
@RichMillerVO
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding audiobooks... I think it depends on the nature of your particular vocal glitches. Earlier in the thread someone (I believe it was Kim) mentioned running a pass with the declicker set at 4. But in my case, even setting it lower, say at 2, often results in some wonky bits (artifacts! Thanks Rich, that's the word!) in the audio. So I use it more as a targeted tool on short segments that I notice a lot of mouth noise in, rather than as something I can run a pass of over the entirety of a recording.

If I am working on a job that requires finished audio upwards of 10 minutes or more, I find that I spend an inordinate amount of time getting all surgical and nit-picky with RX4. Too much even. I've never recorded an audiobook, but RX4 would probably be far too labour-intensive for me to efficiently use in that context.

Unfortunately, this really is a case where each voice and each case is different, even wildly so. I could never use it as a blanket treatment of an entire track, at least not without carefully listening to it post process. Others have voices and deliveries that let them run it without having to worry too much. Methinks the only way to find out whether it could be a useful tool for a specific person recording audiobooks is for them to to muck about with it. But that's what the free trials are for.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Foog. I find I am quicker and more precise with my current "hunt and pick" style of editing.

I am in the middle of an audiobook and using Izotope bogs me down.

Frank F
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that was me running Rx declicker at 4 - but it has to be "random clicks" - there is another option and I can't even remember now what it is called. Every time I used it, well...it wasn't good. And I do run it on the whole file - but my "whole files" are short - under 5 minutes. Never tried it on anything longer.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use decrackler on every single audiobook I do. My editor has never found a single artifact or glitch to re-record.
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I'll need to get it to know for sure. Now is not the time, but I'll probably get it eventually. Thanks all.
@RichMillerVO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: