VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience with QuietRock???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Experience with QuietRock??? Reply with quote

When I last posted re this project, we were in the process of purchasing the house and this was my plan. We’ve made the purchase and the plan is proceeding. Just had the HVAC put in yesterday. Ductless Daikin. Totally quiet and extremely effective.

I am trying to figure out the most cost effective method of everything. I will build the recording booth using standard practices of isolation with Genie Clips and such. What I am concerned about is the Media Room. I’ve got a great sound system with Klipschorns front left and right, and Klipsch center and rears for surround. I’ve also got a Velodyne 1350 sub, that can rumble with the best of them. MY CONCERN is, that I don’t want to bother the neighbors with a late night concert on DVD, which I like to play at concert volume, or perhaps showing off the rumble with an appearance of Godzilla.

SOOOO, how effective is QuietRock and how much do I actually need. It’s about 6 times the cost of drywall, at $2.10 / sq ft as opposed to 40 cents per square foot. I’ve included the plans and the red walls would be QuietRock on the media room side, and I’m wondering if that’s enough. They say QuietRock is as effective as eight sheets of drywall, but that’s what THEY say. If you’ve had any experience with it, what say you?

Again, thanks for the input and the help!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional info. This is a four car garage that sits about 80 feet from the house and 150 from the closest neighbor.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have any helpful info to share.

But I do want to move in.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenGlueCompany.com ftw
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about QR, but I have had very good experience with GG..QR may be a little bit of hype and a lot of $$$ for sound reduction that's accomplished equally for far less.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with George. Quietrock is essentially two sheets of drywall fused together with a polymer layer in the middle. Green Glue performs essentially the same function as that polymer layer (it turns sound energy into heat energy, thus dissipating the sound). Quietrock comes in 1/2", 5/8" and 1 3/8" thicknesses. I can't begin to imagine how difficult 1 3/8 drywall would be to work with, even if you didn't have to contend with scoring, snapping, AND cutting the polymer layer. In my booth I used two layers of standard 5/8" drywall with a layer of Green Glue in between. That gives me a wall that's 1/8" thicker than the thickest Quietrock and pretty easy to install.

At my nearby Lowe's, they sell the 1/2" Quietrock for 50 bucks a sheet. The 5/8" standard drywall is 11 bucks a sheet. So even doubling up and using two tubes of Green Glue (at $16 each) per 4 x 8 section, you're looking at $54 for 2.5 times the mass.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my concern about QuietRock was for the theater room only. I don’t want to crank it up and have bothered neighbors, even though I’ve only got one about 150 away. But your comments have raised another question. I’m about 800 feet off the street, but there are commercial planes on occasion, on the approach to PDX. They're not buzzing the house but they come in at about (I'm guessing) 3,000, to 4,000 feet. I want to keep out those interruptions in the booth and I was planning on doing so with resilient channel and Genie Clips. Am I still on the right track or is Green Glue more effective in the booth as well?

And again, thanks for all the input. VERY helpful!!!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you have possession of the space, set up a mic and do some recording AS IS. Turn it on and let it run for hours. Then listen. (Do step up to the mic and record enough voice to establish Full Scale.

My studio is not treated as exotically as what you are planning. When the local tree man came in with the wood chipper recently and he felled a couple of 60 to 70 foot trees, the recorder was running. NOTHING showed up on my recording.

When the mow and blow guys come in on Friday to do the sub-division entry across the street from me, I crank up the recorder and let it run. In those recordings I CAN hear the gasoline backpack leaf blower, but it is an almost un-noticeable low growl.... not the "angry hornets" that my ears hear.

Try a test recording and see what the planes sound like IN THE RECORDING!
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate what you’re saying about recording first, but this picture is ‘first’. I took this as the seller was clearing out his stuff and the realtor was talking to my wife and daughters. It’s a shame to have to gut the shop because he’s got drop down hoses for an air compressor, drop down AC outlets every ten feet, a huge stainless steel sink that we’re keeping as part of the craft room, but right now, this is the condition. It’s just a big four car garage waiting for conversion.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Rick, those NFL football games aren't quiet, so maybe they won't notice the airplanes, leaf blowers, motorcycles in your recordings. Sarcastic Hey, that's some garage!!!

Seriously, you're doing it right to do it right. Having a good home studio means never (or almost never ) having to apologize for noise during a session. Vern, when you did those recordings, did you then normalize them? ..leaf blowers are the worst, and they will record and make for unhappy clients.

What's great Rick is that you have tons of room to create a separate ceiling and you're built on a concrete slab which should give you no problems. You probably don't need a floating floor, but since you'll probably want a separate floor anyway, I imagiine floating certainly won't hurt.

I think you'd have to check out reports from Riverbank laboratory to determine if GG is more effective than genie clips..or if somehow it's possible to do both? But then, there's the theory of diminishing returns. Since you're in a building that offers very little sound isolation on its own, it's up to your build to do the heavy lifting. A good multilayer ceiling will keep those PDX-bound flights from intruding.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately I’ve got a contractor who has a lot of respect for what I’m trying to accomplish. Coincidentally, one of his other clients does VO’s for Disney, so he’s familiar with the process.

Yes, this is a blank canvas waiting for something great to happen. And as you so accurately point out, one can wait out a Weed Wacker or a low flying plane, when one is recording on their own. But when you’re in a session with an engineer, creative and clients on the other end, it’s bush league to make them stop and start for external noises. My goal is not to have to do that.

It’s a gorgeous home and I’m figuring (hoping) this will be my last hurrah, so I want to do it right, as there won’t be a ‘next time’. Either it will be done right or it won’t be done until it CAN be done right. HVAC is in. Removal of the garage doors and framing is about to happen. And when it’s done, the fridge will be stocked, there will most likely be Blues on the stereo and that pool table, ballenberg, is your invitation to come on by.

The invitation is open to my other friends who have taken time to offer their help on this post as well. I mean it!!!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a big pile of potential! i hope you got to keep the moose!

ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it, Rick..it'll be great. I look forward to seeing it!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
resilient channel and Genie Clips. Am I still on the right track or is Green Glue more effective in the booth as well?

In my opinion, it's not an either/or situation. Inside the booth, I would go with the resilient channel and Genie Clips and a layer of drywall plus Green Glue and a second layer of drywall. And I'd throw in a layer of mass-loaded vinyl and, of course, insulation. And you'll want to do the walls and the ceiling.

By the way, you'll probably have to mail order the Genie Clips, but you should be able to buy the hat channel at Home Depot, so no need to mail order that.

In the media room area, I would put up the partition walls with 5/8" drywall on both sides and insulation like Roxul Safe 'n Sound inside the wall and then test it for neighbor-friendliness. If it is not sufficiently quiet at that point, I would then resort to the Green Glue and double up on the drywall. But why go to the expense if it isn't necessary?
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only exception to Lee's point would be the MLV..The Green Glue does what the MLV used to do, except better, cheaper and easier. MLV is over-rated here, I think ( I have it in my booth..which pre-dated the popular use of GG..and I certainly wouldn't go to the trouble and expense again. I'd be curious to hear George's take on this, having designed booths for many high- end talent.

One thing that hasn't been discussed here, or I missed it, is the booth wall assembly. That makes a huge difference. If Rick is using staggered studs, or a two wall with air space assembly, it changes everything in terms of reduction. But I say, leave the MLV where it belongs..in a floor mat in some factory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: