VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rates for "Re-do"s or Edits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Rates for "Re-do"s or Edits Reply with quote

I know, just what we need...another rates discussion thread. Woohoo!

Just wondering if anyone here uses a "standard" rate card for re-doing lines or small parts of completed jobs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's your mistake you do it for nothing, if it's their mistake then at the very least your minimum session fee should apply.

Example -

Two words missing from the copy. The session was recorded at ABC
studios LA by voice over Dick Thrust. The client needs to get him
back into the studio for his minimum of $250 and needs to pay the
studio a minimum one hour booking fee of $180. For their mistake
the company/client pays $430.

That what happens in the real world. Now my question to you is this. Your client makes a mistake or wants to make a change, what percentage of his bill do you think is fair for you to pay? Put another way, are there times during the day when your time, phone, electricity and internet access are free?

Sometimes it's worth waiving a charge for good will but be sure to let everyone know that what you're doing is the exception not the rule.
dhouston67

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should've clarified. Asking about client-requested recuts. Agree about not working for free except in rare cases...

P.S. No doubt Mr. Thrust is a hard-working talent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the original fee included rights to use and the new cuts replaces the old one then it is the full fee minus the amount included for the rights to use. If the recuts creates a new piece to run in addition to the old piece then the full fee is payable. The above assume you are required to sit in a studio and voice. If it is just editing then an hourly studio rate applies only.

I have some friends who charge $350 per hour for voice work including studio time and $40 per hour for editing.
dhouston67

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of a related question: for a "per-line" rate, I'm wondering how exactly a "line" is defined. Does it apply to any number of words following a previous line?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Line" is usually considered a "wild line" fee. Depending upon your circumstances it can be as much (or as little) as a "tag" or as much as the original spot or narration.

If I have to actually get off my - er - chair and drive to a studio, I usually charge a higher rate.

Studio rates for editing and mixing in this market range from $85.00/hour on up. If the change requires video editing, such as a revised segment, hourly rates start at $225/hour on up. Minimum one hour

It's a tough issue to address due to several factors:

Is it a call-back? Is it a completely revised sentence or paragraph? Is it my mistake and it wasn't caught in the original session? (IF it's is my mistake and it's a simple fix I usually don't charge for the change). Is it new spot/narration, etc.? Are they adding copy to the original recording? And on and on...

A "talent agency" (and I use this term lightly) will likely consider it a new session and thus a "session fee" applies at minimum.

Due to the nature of our business, it is totally up to you what you choose to do. You are the boss and the bookeeper/accountant, as well as the Chief Bottle Washer, so choose wisely.

O.K., I think Guilder Banks said it more succinctly - but that is my take...

Toodles

Frank F
Protege' of the Guilder
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could even go into more detail by charging for long words, short words, punctuation, per line, per syllable, per Haiku and per frame pause length. Laugh

We sell our talent, time and add a bit for our technology, there comes a point when we need to stop breaking things down. Beware the temptation to come up with a rate card that accurately establishes how low you will go as people will always want you to discount your rock bottom price. Commercially for a voice Over this is the road to hell.

I have been asked by potential clients -
How much do you charge per word?
How much do you charge per recorded minute?

My answer has always been the same. "I don't". I then tell them how I charge, it could be minimum session fee or the Union rate depending on the project. I think I've said this before but it's worth repeating. When someone approaches you with the question "How much do you charge for ....."
they are actually saying "Are you able to guess how much we are prepared to pay you to do......". Three ways of responding are:-

1 - I will try and fit in with your budget, did you have a figure in mind?
2- My fee is ........
3- I will try and fit in with your budget but my minimum fee for this type of
project is usually .......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: