VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Production masterclass for imagers and movie trailer voices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Production masterclass for imagers and movie trailer voices Reply with quote

In the interests of building Guilders skills.

1 - Record with compression
2 - Process and compress
3 - Mix and compress
4 - Process and compress

The result?

http://thecorporatevoice.com/breakwindows.mp3

It would save Guilders a lot of time if there was a plug in preset called ARGH!
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmph. Needs more compression. Rolls Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhouston67 wrote:
Hmph. Needs more compression. Rolls Eyes

I agree. There must be at least 1 to 1.5db of dynamic range still there. It may break windows, but not block glass.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mock if you must, but if these are the voices that are being heard, then these are the voices that are being paid.

Just a little something to think about, before you scoff.

Some of the most processed voices are the ones who are earning 7 figures in New York and Los Angeles. I don't consider that a bad thing or a basis for ridicule.

Compression is but another tool in the arsenal. A dangerous tool in the wrong hands, but a powerful weapon that can tilt the balance in an extremely competitive arena where intensity, texture and emotion must be felt as much as heard. Like a magnifying glass, it allows you to delve deep into the pipes and hear what is there. However, without strict control of your own vocal instrument and the subsequent processing of it, the results will vary wildly. Compresson may sound terrible on some, and fantastic on others. Experience is usually the deciding factor, here.

The bottom line? Talent should always strive to be whatever is commercially viable at the time, despite their disdain for a certain production element or vocal technique that incidentally, is currently creating heavily compressed billfolds for a few heavily compressed voices.

I direct these comments to no one in particular. Don't be a compression snob. It can be your friend. We're not speaking out of megaphones anymore. It isn't a contest of who has the best, richest, natural pipes, standing around in the room. It's making the most of what you've got by combining your own experience with the current technology and the sound tools available at your disposal.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff nailed it on the head. Pat Garrett's compressin' all the way to the bank. cool

http://www.patdemos.com/demos.htm

Russ
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you again, Jeff. I have missed your insight for some time, now.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VO-Guy wrote:
Pat Garrett's compressin' all the way to the bank. cool

http://www.patdemos.com/demos.htm

Russ

Russ,

Yes, he is and so is Dave Foxx. I meant no mockery, just a weak attempt at good natured humor.

And, Jeff, I agree completely with your comments about the tools at our disposal and using them properly. (And yes, Jeff, it's very nice to see you post again. I've gained much from your comments preserved in the archives.)
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Jeff. You can't always yell above a track and get the grit and raw emotion you need to...so compress that thing and set it nicely in the mix.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two extremely important statements in Jeff's comments

1. Strict control of your own vocal instrument and the subsequent processing of it.
2. Talent should always strive to be whatever is commercially viable at the time.

My opinion... I often believe too many get caught up in the subsequent processing of their voices, failing to gain strict control in addition to noticing what is commercially available and/or viable. When you listen to the seven figure voices, the processing is usually done after it leaves their studios, and their mic technique is such that it sounds like they have internal compression before the air leaves their lips. Actually applying compression enhances the audio ... you never hear a compressor pumping the hell out of the signal to distortion.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff makes some great points.

For what it's worth: I'm not a "compression snob", nor do I think Banksey or anyone else here is. We're more than entitled to poke a bit of good-natured fun at an aspect of our own profession.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compressed or uncompressed I sound exactly the same - Snobbish! Foot in Mouth
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second-- Jeff McNeal AND Kevin Genus in one post?!?
The database may break.

I kid.

I love it when you guys drop in.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff McNeal wrote:
Mock if you must, but if these are the voices that are being heard, then these are the voices that are being paid.

Some of the most processed voices are the ones who are earning 7 figures in New York and Los Angeles. I don't consider that a bad thing or a basis for ridicule.

The spirit behind my initial posting was light relief, nothing more. No one was mocking a particular voice, style, country or person. There is a habit amongst inexperienced British local radio producers of setting their processors at CTF which is short for "compress to f***". The belief is that compression makes everything and everyone sound great. I exaggerated that in order to "hold a masterclass".

I value Jeff's comments but am particularly upset at the opening lines which appear to have a somewhat bitter and angry edge to them, mounting a defence to a non-existent attack. Of course if I've misinterpreted anything I apologise.

As we are talking about the big league voices it's worth noting a few other things about them. They concentrate only on the quality of their performances and for the most part leave the techie stuff to those in the know, doing what they do well is the only part of the job they take seriously, taking themselves or the job itself seriously is very low down the list of priorities - if on it all. Few of us will have the sound of the top voices but we cam emulate their attitudes and personalities as it is from these traits success is derived. Not implying for one moment that anyone who posts here has a nasty personality or a bad attitude.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:

They concentrate only on the quality of their performances and for the most part leave the techie stuff to those in the know, doing what they do well is the only part of the job they take seriously, taking themselves or the job itself seriously is very low down the list of priorities - if on it all.

Also well said Guilder Banks. That is why there is a pile of overpriced gear outside the window in my studio (kidding, don't come flying out here anyone Smile)

For me.....I am shooting for a section of the top. At the same time I don't wanna ever be a person that takes myself too seriously and unable to learn from others more and less talented than myself. I often find myself playing "dumb" to some people to find out what type of knowledge they have and can share with me. Call me a fake if you like....but people let down their guard and share more when you do not act like you know it all. You'd be surprised at the helpful info I have gathered by doing this from time to time.

But as I always say....."we're all friends here" and keeping it light and friendly is a good thing.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: It's the real thing ..No not Coke! Reply with quote

As my spoof caused a stir I thought I'd get hold of the real promo as stuck together(creative term) by one of the greatest promo sticker togetherers in the business.

Voices - M'self and the lovely dangerous and pouting Ian Brannan and Phillipa Collins (no relation).

http://thecorporatevoice.com/beatfm.mp3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: