VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sennheiser 416 or Shure SM7B for audiobooks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Sennheiser 416 or Shure SM7B for audiobooks Reply with quote

....anybody using either of these successfully for audiobooks?

I'm looking for anything that will help speed up my editing and still sound good.

The editing time on my most recent audiobook was excruciatingly slow (recorded with a LDC/AKG 414)
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 416 and I know personally that with experimenting with placement, I was able to find a place that significantly reduced the amount of mouth noise I get in recordings. But I hear the Sm7b is great for narration.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jason,

Just to clarify, are you using the 416 for audiobooks?
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I was doing audiobooks, I would...but I'm not doing books. I AM using it for longer form narration. Not as long as books, but there isn't a difference when you really get down to it. Commercials and audiobooks are processed differently after recording, but ultimately the same principles apply to both. You want good clean and natural sounding audio that is free from background noise and mouth noise. That's what I'm delivering with the 416 regardless of how it is mastered. I have found the 416 to require less processing after recording in MY personal situation. YMMV. I am only comparing it to other mics I have used in my studio, the one it replaced as my DD was an Oktavamod NT1a LDC. I used that mic for quite a few audiobooks.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I know that Bob Souer uses a 415/416 for audiobooks but wondered if anyone else was as well.
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the tight pattern too restrictive for me and long form things. That's why I sold mine to Bob Souer.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sm7b has a kind of lo-fi vintage vibe for certain types of warm, PSA type broadcast stuff. It's doesn't bark at you, like the Senn 416. I'm reluctant to part with it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sennheiser 416 or Shure SM7B for audiobooks Reply with quote

Elwood wrote:
The editing time on my most recent audiobook was excruciatingly slow (recorded with a LDC/AKG 414)

A bit of a tangent, but you should consider outsourcing the editing. Doing it yourself will kill your rate and rob you of other narration opportunities.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, perhaps I'm being a bit penny wise and pound foolish.

Even if I do outsource it though, I wonder if a different mic (or mic technique)
might also lessen the time for whoever I outsource it to.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using my 416 for audiobooks ever since I bought it from Johnny! But I don't move around a lot while narrating, so the tight pattern isn't an issue for me. I don't notice any difference in the amount of mouth noise picked up by the 416 vs. my old AT-4033 LDC.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, good input.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the SM7B and the 416. I purchased the Shure specifically for long-form narration and used it for a few books. I was told, and I ended up agreeing with, that it made for an "easier listen"... gentler on the ears of the consumer for the long haul. Then I changed my mind, and found that the "easier listen" came at the expense of a certain (comparative) muddiness when put up against an LDC or the 416.

I reverted back to the LDC (CAD E100s or AKG Perception 220) and was a lot happier, finding that my clarity was better, and any advantages of the dynamic mic could be achieved during mastering (i.e. some gentle EQ and the right compression levels).

I recently did about five hours worth of short stories using the 416 and was very happy with the results. I may flip back and forth between the 416 and the CAD, but I'm happy with the 416 as a tool for audiobooks. Well noted the caveat about having a more restricted range of movement during performance.

One tech note with the Shure... it's output level is really low (even by dynamic mic standards) and you may be pushing your pre-amp harder than you want... and still not getting an optimum level. I invested in a FETHead (same as a Cloudlifter) to solve the problem... which it did with no downside.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sennheiser 416 or Shure SM7B for audiobooks Reply with quote

Jeffrey Kafer wrote:

A bit of a tangent, but you should consider outsourcing the editing. Doing it yourself will kill your rate and rob you of other narration opportunities.

You know Jeff, I've been approached about doing some audiobook work in the past few months for a series of books which are almost finished. Your comment answers the precise question which made me hesitate about taking on the project.

If you have any recommended editors I'd love to know of them.

Back on topic, my philosophy is to use what sounds good to you. For longform Industrial narration I've had luck with the U87, Horch, EV RE-27, AT-4050, Sony C800G, Microtech Gefell 92.1 and RCA 77DX.

The first three really stood out to me compared to the others. The RCA was the most natural sounding IMO (i.e., recorded the source with better accuracy), but required a very gentle touch (vintage mics, and ribbons in particular can be touchy about how you use them).

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i absolutely LOVE my rca 77dx - such a rich, natural sound. i really should use it more.

Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
i absolutely LOVE my rca 77dx - such a rich, natural sound. i really should use it more.

I often find myself in that same position.

Though I've also found a love for the 74b. It's got a really nice dark character to it.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: