VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 10...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Windows 10... Reply with quote

Putting aside any feelings about the privacy policy, future subscription model and other possible nasties, I can say that my experience with it on a new-ish laptop has not at all sucked. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 works fine with it, as do Reaper and Sound Forge (and Notion, but that's for another forum). All audio hardware drivers for the Scarlett and my little Behringer (forgive me) came across just fine on their own.

In case anyone else is considering upgrading, from a functional perspective, I haven't noticed anything crappy aside from wireless network suddenly going away once in a while.

Multiple virtual desktops as a built-in feature are good (finally!). When on a laptop and no external display, you can put your daw on a desktop, mixers and plugins on another, etc.

Remember to turn off as many of the "track and analyze my behavior" options as you can. I doubt that does much good, but I turn them off anyway...
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I generally don't rush to update on critical systems until I'm sure the developer hasn't kludged the update.

Case in point... The recent unscheduled Critical Update of Windows. Completely blew my wireless networking out of the water. Had to reinstall drivers and software to get it working again. PITA, and completely unnecessary, had they done the job right. Prior to the update, the system had been rock solid.

And I'm a former sysadmin. God help the inexperienced user who depends on their system.

Glad to hear your upgrade was fairly uneventful. From what I've read, it hasn't been that way for everyone.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a "new" used laptop that should come with Windows 7. I may load all the programs I consider essential onto that and then go for the upgrade to see how they do. If that goes OK, I'll think about upgrading my main computer, as well.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of Microsoft's greatest failures have been foisted upon us in the name of innovation. Oddly, their biggest screwups are often followed by their most stable releases. Woe is Windows Me.

Trusted XP. HATED Vista. Enjoying Win7, for the most part. Skipped 8 due to early reviews. Have high hopes for 10, but it's much too early to tell.

And what happened to 9? Must have sucked so badly that it was buried out back.

Mind you, I'm OS agnostic. My day to day travels require me to work with most of the majors. Though, truth be told, I am developing a fondness for Android these days. My latest tablet acquisition has just about replaced the desktop.

Tread slowly, Lee. Trust, but verify. Ninja
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyguido wrote:

And what happened to 9? Must have sucked so badly that it was buried out back.

Because previous versions included Windows 95 and Windows 98, they thought another one with "9" in the name might cause confusion, so they skipped it. It's also one digit further away from "8." Gasp
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows wanted to position themselves to launch MS X...but they forgot to do it in conjunction with the '10' this year. It should have been Windows 9 this year so they could launch MS X next year.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyguido wrote:
Yeah, I generally don't rush to update on critical systems until I'm sure the developer hasn't kludged the update.

That's another reason I'm hesitant to jump to Windows 10. I have Windows 7 set to alert me when an update is available and then I can choose to download and install it, if and when I want to. As I understand it, that choice will not be available in Windows 10; it will automatically install updates as they are released.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Home edition does that. The Pro edition lets you defer updates. You can also choose to get updates from a source on your network or elsewhere. The "elsewhere" is interesting, because it naturally includes official channels, but also what appears (I haven't investigated too far) a peer-to-peer model - the peer model, in theory, I suppose might ease congestion and let you get updates more quickly. Skype, for example, uses this kind of thing as the default behavior. I'm not certain I like that kind of thing, but they didn't ask me.

Using a local network source for collecting and distributing updates is not a difficult thing, but most home users probably don't have the time / inclination / infrastructure to do so.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what I've seen with Win 10 so far, but putting it on my studio workstations? No thanks.

I'm willing to wait a while before leaving Windows 7.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts already shared here

Updates that can't be disabled (only delayed) is a possible deal breaker.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but putting it on my studio workstations? No thanks.

I think I agree - I consider a laptop to be just a tool, like a screwdriver: if it gets chewed up, no big deal. The critical things are on the big machine.

Diverging from my original intent here, thinking about the privacy policy now: according to MS, they will analyze your behavior - what files you open, what programs you use to manipulate those files and the actual data in the files, and share that information as they feel necessary or when they feel customers may be at risk.

...what does "risk" mean?

What about HIPAA stuff and other controlled hoo-hah? How will that jibe, I wonder? In the case of medical records, folks probably aren't supposed to work directly and locally on such files on their personal computers, but what if you're a private contractor, necessarily store files locally that hold data controlled by some privacy law? Which party is breaking the law at that point, you or MS?
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where updates are concerned, the flexibility exists in the other editions. Have a peek at Windows Update For Business. Security updates and actual fixes will go everywhere, "feature" additions and enhancements can be withheld.

But that's not to say it won't be a real pain in the rear.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only upgraded from XP earlier this year. And I'd still be using it on my laptop if the laptop hadn't died.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My latest tablet acquisition has just about replaced the desktop.

I'd like to like tablets, but for some reason I just haven't acclimated to them. My wife has a Surface Pro 3 as her laptop replacement, and she loves it. Fiddling with it here and there, I can't stand it. Her older Surface (it of the CPU Lobotomy Edition, or Windows RT, for Really Turd-like) became my experimenting toy, but it's mostly useless beyond the remote control application I wrote to replace my wooden panel with physical buttons. I have the buttons on the screen *really* big, so I cannot possibly miss.

I think much of the reason is that, even on a reasonably large one, I have a very hard time seeing things. Maybe when I eventually get around to new glasses (old ones broke quite a time ago, and I just haven't gotten around to making an appointment), I'll suddenly discover tablets are good for me. This is obviously not the fault of any operating system. Smile

On the gripping hand, my actual job-job involves a big tap dance between a whole bunch of arcane bits of hardware and weird shit that nobody actually understands, even those of us who work on it, and it requires a keyboard and buttons and stuff just to provide the appearance of technicalness. So, I'm hosed, and while the rest of you are whisking away in your flying cars that you steer with your touchscreen watch while enjoying the Earl Grey from the 3D printer in the dash, I'll still be spilling the gas-station coffee all over the pre-stained floor of my 12-year-old minivan.

My minivan has a nice stereo, though. FM tuner and all.

I think I'll go into landscaping, instead.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully my upgrade to 10 from 8.1 was smooth sailing. I'm very happy with it. Fast & Functional. Love the Edge browser too.

My Adobe Audition 3 was getting buggy over time with 8.1. Now it's back to it's old happy self from 2008.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: