VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shure Motiv..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the MVi. First thing that raises an eyebrow is that it is NOT internally powered by a battery. Therefor, it relies on whatever voltage/current it can muster from the very starved power supply of an iPhone's Lightning jack. It's phantom power output rating is only 12 volts, as a result. I take that has not been an issue for your particular mic, Bish?
I hope to try it with different mics and see how they behave.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Mid-1970s and later condenser microphones designed for 48-volt phantom powering often require much more current (e.g., 2–4 mA for Neumann transformerless microphones, 4–5 mA for the Schoeps CMC ("Colette") series and Josephson microphones, 5–6 mA for most Shure KSM-series microphones, 8 mA for CAD Equiteks and 10 mA for Earthworks). The IEC standard gives 10 mA as the maximum allowed current per microphone. If its required current is not available, a microphone may still put out a signal, but it cannot deliver its intended level of performance. The specific symptoms vary somewhat, but the most common result will be reduction of the maximum sound-pressure level that the microphone can handle without overload (distortion). Some microphones will also show lower sensitivity (output level for a given sound-pressure level).

So the CAD e100s wants up to 10ma of current, that is a LOT of current for phantom power. Hmm...
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a scientific test by a long shot... but I'm actually on the road at the moment so I've had a chance to try my new "mobile rig" for auditions. Jen's closet is set up with pegboard mounted auralex and a few quilts & blankets... currently using an MXL 2003a and a X2U into Audacity... apart from having to sort out Audacity having a hissy-fit with the X2U, the sound isn't too bad.

I set up with the MVi and Bruce's old AT875R into the iPhone 6+ loaded with Twisted Wave. The sound quality was really quite good... I used the flat setting and reviewed and edited using the trusty old Sony 7506 cans. There is definitely a significant additional drain on the iPhone battery when using for an extended length of time (I left it on for a couple of hours just to see). I would expect to start recording with a full battery, so the (approx) 10-15% hit my battery took was not a problem. I also edited via the MVi simply because the chunky 7506 plug wouldn't fit directly into the iPhone because of the case.

Bottom line... I sent it off to our favourite agent (Erik) with a request for comment on the quality... "pretty good" was the verdict. The only thing I have to work on is editing on a phone... but that's just practice I guess.

I have no idea about the power requirements for the 875, but it seemed to work well. When I get home I'll give it a go with the e100s and the 416 just to see what happens.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scientific or not, it was certainly in-depth! Thanks, Bish!
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the Mvi yesterday, had a chance to play with it today,…

1) Recording to Twisted Wave and an iPHone 6, It does NOT work with a 416.. at least not for me.. tried different cords, etc.. in and out of Airplane mode.. very staticy and a hum.. bummer
2) Neither did it work with an Sm7b with a Triton FET head..
3) It does, however work wonderfully with the AT 875r and the iPhone..used the flat setting and touch of EQ in TW
4) Worked with AKG Perception 220 pretty well… just barely enough gain for the AKG however..
5) Worked surprising well with a crappy ATR 2100, which is cardoid dynamic similar to a SM 58..

I recorded about 5 or 6 auditions with the AT 875r, so we'll see how it goes..have yet to hear back on any
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out a few things, and I think the issue might be the voltage of the phantom power. George mentioned this also.

The 416 requires 48v + or - 4v and uses 2mA
The 875r requires 11-52v and uses the same 2mA

The MVi puts out 12v in iOS mode and only puts out 48v when plugged in via USB. It doesn't specify if that includes USB OTG.

So any mic that either doesn't require Phantom Power OR that will work with 12v Phantom Power should work. I'd be curious if an older 415T (that used 12v) would work with it. Any dynamic mic should work fine (providing there is enough gain).
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any interested parties, George's review of the MVI has gone live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTDLX9J-pRo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: