VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB audio interface with optical?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokyofan
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: USB audio interface with optical? Reply with quote

Considering my USB Phono Pro is NOT playing nicely with El Capitan (and I can't yet figure out how to downgrade to Yosemite), can anyone recommend a USB audio interface with optical ports? And preferably compatible with El Capitan?
tokyofan
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Just ordered an AFUNTA USB 6 Channel 5.1 Optical Audio External Sound Card SPDIF For PC Laptop Win7

I have no idea if it'll work with El Capitan but can send it back if it doesn't, I imagine. Amazon is good that way.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audient ID14 and ID22 are compatible, and I know the ID22 has optical, not sure about the 14. Good luck in your search!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=audient+id14
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the iD22 and was not able to get the optical out to work correctly. Was told by a tech to use the USB connection rather than use the optical out. He did not think there would be any advantage to using the toslink out over the USB.

Otherwise it is an excellent interface.

So before you buy one ask the tech guys at Audient to tell you if that option will work for you.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
tokyofan
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

I was just consulting with a guy at Gearslutz and he said the Art Pro USB Phono Plus is class compliant so should work well without any additional drivers in El Capitan as it doesn't require any special support (as opposed to other audio interfaces with dedicated drivers by vendors). Drivers for such standard USB audio devices are part of the system from OS X 10.5 onwards IIRC. He advised I switch USB ports and check HW and SW settings. So, I plugged it into a powered hub instead of the Mac-Mini itself and, for some reason, Twisted Wave is working again, at least for now. Not sure why simply switching USB ports would make any difference at all.
So, no need to rollback OS X or get a new audio device for now. I'll monitor and report back if something else goes awry. Thanks for your input.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that this observation I am going to share has anny effect in your case, but here is the collection of "folklore" I have on USB connections.

Some USB devices do not like, do not tolerate hubs, powered or unpowered. They want a direct connection to the motherboard without going through a hub device.

Now comes the complication. Motherboards typically offer two or three real honest-to-god USB ports... but your computer will contain INTERNAL hubs that split those out so we end up with 4 to 10 USB sockets on the case of our computers. Two or three of those may act like "home run circuits" as they feed an internal hub on the side as they wind their way to a socket on the outside of your computer. When you have more than three USB external sockets on the outside of the box, you know some of them are "hubbed".... you just don't know which ones.

When you have an external USB converter (and/or) mixer, and it gives you trouble, try moving it from socket to socket on the case of you computer to see if some work and some do not. MARK THE GOOD ONES. You don't want to play this game again a few months from now.

I have not looked for myself to satisfy my curiosity: Are these in-the-computer hubs part of the motherboards or are they external to the MB but housed within the computer. As a last resort, go inside and find a USB circuit ON THE MOTHERBOARD, unplug the internal cable, and plug you audio device in here (directly to the motherboard) and see if it now works.

Now you are left to figure out which sockets on the outside of the computer case have been dis-connected because you pulled the plug from the motherboard.
tokyofan
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: re: Better cable Reply with quote

Amadeus Pro now working again though I don't think I did anything different. Weird. No rhyme or reason.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAH! sorry for your troubles! another reason i'm still on mavericks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: