VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source Connect Now problem...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "pad" switch on a microphone doesn't affect frequencies. It drops the level of the mic signal (usually by 10db) so that it doesn't overload a pre-amp.

paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:
A "pad" switch on a microphone doesn't affect frequencies. .

Oh, right, I was thinking about a roll off. Sorry!
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get it figured out?
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to try to fix it in Real Time, Source-Connecting (<---made that a verb, I did) with someone who has more technical knowledge than me (<----basically, anyone) who can help me trouble-shoot it.

Hopefully sometime this week! I've written down all the "could it be this?" items, and will carefully check them when I'm in the session...

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I connected with someone else, and my levels are now fine... but he couldn't figure out how to record both of us. I was a guest on his log-in, so HE needs to record, right?

I looked at the FAQ on Source-Elements, and didn't see this problem addressed. Anyone know how to record two people in two separate studios?

And one other stupid question: can Source Connect Now connect with Source Connect standard or pro? Or are they different animals?

my website
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figuring this out, little by little.

I discovered the recording option in SCN, and that you can download it afterwards. And I know that both sides can record that way.

Still trying to figure out if there's a way to record straight into the DAW...? There must be, yes?

my website
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you might need 2 machines on site.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, DB -- looks like you're correct, or at least, that's one way to do it!

I found a super-helpful answer in my inbox this morning, so thanks, SourceElements! I'm going to paste it here, in case it can help others:

To answer some of your questions, first currently while in beta Source-Connect Now only connects to guests of its account and so it is currently not possible to connect to Source-Connect Now to Source-Connect Standard/Pro.

With regards to recording, if you are using any common audio workstation software that supports AAX, VST or AU then our Source-Nexus Plugin makes an excellent tool to route the received audio into a record track of your workstation.

If that is not an option and you are using a Mac then by combining your hardware interface with our Free Source-Nexus driver you can also route the audio into a record track of common audio workstation software. Finally if your not using a Mac then its possible to use external routing by assigning a dedicated audio interface for Source-Connect Now and physically plugging into the audio interface for your audio work station software.

Below are some details about recording options. Please let us know if you have specific questions with regards to your exact setup. We can be reached at support@source-elements.com

Thanks The Source Elements Support Team

1- This method requires two computers. Use Source-Connect Now on a computer separate from the computer you will record with. Set Source-Connect Now to whatever sound card/interface/or built-in outputs (NOT speakers) you have that can run a cable into the second computer. Plug that output into the 2nd computer, and set that input to be your workstations input. Record it!

2- If you have multiple interfaces/sound cards available, you can use Source-Connect Now on an the same computer as the recording software. Make one of the interfaces/sound cards your default OS audio ouput (and let Source-Connect Now use the default output). Route the output of that interface/sound card into the input of your 2nd interface/sound card, and set that to be the recording workstations input.

3- If you are using a Mac you can use Source-Nexus Free. Download link: http://source-elements.com/source-nexus/ Once downloaded, go to Audio-Midi setup on your computer and aggregate the Nexus driver with the Sound Card being used directly by the recording software. Make Source-Nexus the first interface in the Aggregate device (as Chrome automatically and ONLY uses the first two channels of your default device). Go to your Audio Preferences in System Preferences and set the default output to the new Source-Nexus Device. Now, in the recording workstation, inputs 1-2 should be playing the output of Google Chrome (and therefore your Source-Connect Now Session). In this mode, you will also be recording any computer system sounds (because it is your OSX's default output!) so any system beeps or applications being used that don't define their own audio outputs will play back into your recordings. If you want to record ONLY Source-Connect Now without interruption you should turn off system sounds and close any unnecessary applications for the duration of your session. Aggregating the device this way will shuffle all of the I/O of the physical sound card you attached Nexus to, and the original I/O will show up starting at input and output 25.

4- If you're using Pro Tools 10/11/12 or any other Mac based workstations that supports AU or VST plugins, you also have to option of using the full version of Source-Nexus (same link as above). The full version of Nexus provides a convenient Source-Nexus AAX, VST and AU Plugin directly within most every audio workstation. To use it, simply place the Source-Nexus plugin on an Aux track. Set Nexus to receive channels 1-2, and bus the output of that aux track to the audio track that will be used to record onto. Now you're ready to record.

my website
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm SOOOO close to figuring this out! Source-Elements support is amazing, even when having to talk to me like a 6-yr-old.

Turns out there are several ways to record both sides of the session, but it entails some workarounds. Here's the one that fits me:

"3- If you are using a Mac you can use Source-Nexus Free. Download link: http://source-elements.com/source-nexus/

Once downloaded, go to Audio-Midi setup on your computer and aggregate the Nexus driver with the Sound Card being used directly by the recording software. Make Source-Nexus the first interface in the Aggregate device (as Chrome automatically and ONLY uses the first two channels of your default device). Go to your Audio Preferences in System Preferences and set the default output to the new Source-Nexus Device. Now, in the recording workstation, inputs 1-2 should be playing the output of Google Chrome (and therefore your Source-Connect Now Session)."

The whole "Aggregate device" part was confusing, but they sent me a link to explain it (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000), and now I think I have just enough information to be dangerous.

Two questions for you seasoned tech people: if I play around in my Audio-Midi set-up, will that change any settings on my regular recording set-up, or my Skype settings...? I don't want to try to figure this out, fail, then find something has gone wonky when I next go to record or do a directed session.

Second dumb question: I use Audacity, and the support people said this: "We are not specifically knowledgeable about Audacity, but if it is capable of recording from any input of a multi channel audio interfaces then it should work." So... IS it capable of doing that?

Thanks for any advice you can spare!

my website
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source Connect Now was a no-go for me because of my reluctance to upgrade from my reliable OS 10.7 on my main computer

I ended up upgrading to the monthly SC Standard Elements setup

My question is.. in standalone, I'm sending the output of my audio device directly to the receiver.. So in essence, recording to Twisted Wave during the SC session captures the raw file…. in essence…

What's the practical purpose of activating the SC Audio Units plug-in in TW?

On the other hand, I can activate the AU SC plugin in my channel strip in my multi track DAW. (Logic Pro).. .and, if I so chose, can apply an effect.. (say on EQ with a custom config) which gets sent to the SC receiver.. in turn I can capture a raw unprocessed file as I record the session in Logic in real time..

Am I understanding this correctly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: that" guy Reply with quote

paulstefano wrote:

I just completely tore apart my setup to add a homemade Harlan Hogan Porta booth. It turned out really well, and my sound is actually much better

Any posting here, blog, video regarding what you did and comparison?

Color me/us intrigued.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, you can think simple, or complicated, whichever way you prefer. Yes, use it is as a plugin in Logic and insert effects before SC. Or, just record in TW as a backup. But it's useless as a plugin with TW, since TW can't stream audio to/from a plugin real-time.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
Yes, use it is as a plugin in Logic and insert effects before SC. Or, just record in TW as a backup. .

Yes George, correct.. as usual.. going the Logic route and applying inserts proved to be a needless distraction…

on another note, a couple of clients have mentioned to me that SourceConnect Now is close to being useless. at least in their experiences…Seems very likely that SC is "dumbing down" the free version...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: