VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standing Desk Solutions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Standing Desk Solutions Reply with quote

Hello all

I'm currently on a lookout for a monitor-stand solution for my WhisperRoom. At the moment, I have a little desk that sits at the back of the booth and which my monitor sits on. It's a good height, and great for recording whilst sitting down.

However, I want to be able to move the monitor up to eye-level whilst standing as well. I was hoping to find some kind of wall-mount to screw into the back of the booth which would allow the monitor to slide up and down so that I can easily alternate between sitting and standing.

Does anyone have any particular scissor-arm or wall bracket that they can recommend to me?
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these look like they might do what you need, Will:

http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails/tabid/65/FID/163/language/en-US/Default.aspx

WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Thank you so much!!!
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are nice also. not sure if they will fit your needs but they have several sizes.

http://www.varidesk.com/

I've been looking for a good wall mount all in one package for sit to stand. Something that holds keyboard, mouse, and monitor all together. I dont want a traditional desk in my booth.

all the adjustable stuff is expensive!

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

Thanks

gary
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gary. Yeah - I've been looking for something similar. I've been shocked at the price points. Usually around £700! ARGH!

I'll definitely post my results as and when...
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed one of these Dyconn Wall Mounted Work Stations recently, super sweet!
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, George. That thing looks Niiiiice. Your customer give you any feedback yet?
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! That actually looks pretty much perfect, and is also not prohibitively expensive! Thank you, George! Watch this space. I may have one installed soon...
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Dyconn one ended up being silly-expensive in the UK. Damn the transcontinental price disparity!

However, I found a good Ergotron model which was discounted today (because somehow Black Friday is now a thing in the UK, too? Well - shan't complain!), so it's ordered and will arrive with me tomorrow. Very exciting! The only negative is that it doesn't include an extra bit for my keyboard, but I figure I'll pop my Avalon on top of my desk, and then rest the keyboard on top of that for a bit of a height boost. Pics to follow once it's all up and running! Smile
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution for a sit / stand desk, was to move with the desk rather than have the desk move with you. In other words, rather than raise and lower the desk, I bought a drafting chair that is the same height when I’m sitting as when I’m standing.

I went to my local cabinet maker, told him what I wanted and he built it for me. The desk is 43” tall (I’m 6’2”) and perfect height for a standing work station. When I don’t feel like standing, I sit on the drafting chair. A lot less moving parts, accomplishes the same goal and when I sit I don’t have such a long way to go to stand up. I just slide off the chair and I’m standing.

Your local craftsman can make something custom for you needs for the same money you’d be spending to buy a one size fits all. And in the case of mechanical work stations, he can make it for a lot less.

He mounted the desk to the wall and I’m extremely pleased with the end result.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! (And looks beautiful!)

I'm also 6'2", and had sort officiated this idea as I thought it might be too much of a stretch for someone of my height.

At the moment, I do my work in a 4x6 whisperroom, so the chair would take up a considerable amount of space, but I'm certainly saving your picture into my wish list for when I expand into a larger studio!
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillMWatt wrote:
I do my work in a 4x6 whisperroom, so the chair would take up a considerable amount of space, but I'm certainly saving your picture into my wish list for when I expand into a larger studio!

Not sure I understand. My recording booth is the room that's surrounded by stone. That is total standup for me. No chair. Podium that is stand-up height with a monitor mounted on the wall in front of me. But I only record in there, so production, editing and so forth is done at the workstation pictured.

When I had a sit down production desk, I found myself getting up to go into the booth, do the read, come back, sit down, listen... get up, go back and give another read, come back sit down, so on and so forth. When I went to a standup workstation I just walk into the booth, read, walk out, listen, edit, etc., standing the entire time.

If I'm editing a big project I'll grab the chair and work, but either way I save the effort of doing half squats all day long. So I guess my question is, 'Are you editing in your recording booth as well and that's where you're making it either sit or stand'?

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drafting chair is exactly what I've been planning to do (rather than constantly raising/lowering the desk) once I'm able to get the standing desk set up. I'd become accustomed to working that way at my last radio job.

Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley I love my recording set-up and worked hard to get it right where I want it, but I gotta say, after looking at your digs I am almost jealous. cool

Very nice.
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:

So I guess my question is, 'Are you editing in your recording booth as well and that's where you're making it either sit or stand'?

Yup! Exactly. My whole setup is inside the booth. I do my recording and editing there in one space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: