VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

any suggestions for a Skype phone patch with playback?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: any suggestions for a Skype phone patch with playback? Reply with quote

Skype is working great as a phone patch, but still haven't mastered the playback for client thing-y, and I felt bad this week being unable to provide said playback.

If anyone has insights or suggestions I appreciate it.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 2 computers and a Mackie 1202 mixer.
My recording computer's digital output feeds one channel, my mic's split signal feeds another channel.
My laptop has "The Skype" on it. Ethernet connexion.
Main outs from the Mackie to the audio in, headphone out from the lappy to a 3rd channel on the Mackie.

I do the same kind of setup with a Mackie 402 at my little studio in Florida.
Probably not the solution you were looking for, but this works flawlessly.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple audio interfaces on one computer will do it, too. I use a focusrite device as the main interface for daw, plus a small behringer couple-channel USB mixer and a small m-audio cheapy (I know, I really don't need *three* but More Has Always Been Better And Always Will Be). In my particular configuration, I pump one bus into the input of the behringer, who is the skype input. I use the m-audio as skype's *output*. Everybody has in and out attached to my onyx mixer and sent to appropriate buses.

In windows, at least, this works just fine. I haven't a clue whether osx would like it.

This is a sub-hundred-dollar solution, and if you have an unused audio interface in a closet somewhere, you're all set.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the MacGyver spirit that prevails here
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get all that figured out and working, post a picture as in a schematic of how you wire it together. I only read books that have pictures. Embarrassed

Sometimes words only works if the author knows the dialect that includes the gozintas and the cumzoutas in colorful detail.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Yamaha AG03 Reply with quote

Check out George Whittam's video about the AG03.

It should be able to provide exactly what you asked about regarding Skype and playback for the client.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha AG03 Reply with quote

FinMac wrote:
Check out George Whittam's video about the AG03.

THIS! I bought the AG03 and with Zero instructions was able to playback a recording over Skype last week with my Coach. All I did was flip 1 switch, said "can you hear that?" She said "Yep".

Good to go.

It's a bonus that the Pre-Amp sounds great with lots of gain available. Oh, and it's under $150!
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the iD22 for that. Works pretty well. I used to have a Mackie mixer before I picked up the Audient. Either way worked great, just depends on how much gear you want on the desk.

I was looking at the AG03 and wondering a couple things. Does it do mix minus or do you have to raise and lower the volume (or flip the switch to loopback) each time you play back? I was thinking this would be a cool solution, but not if you have a booth and need to have controls (for the same interface) in the booth AND in the control room. I have my preamp in the booth with me so I can adjust the level where the mic is and the iD22 in the control room where I edit. The software allows me to control all the routing (so I can adjust the levels in my headphones or that are sent to the client) while I'm in the booth or in the control room.

If you record in the same space you edit, it might be a really great solution. Personally, I still like the freedom of mix-minus because playback is always going to the client (unless I mute it) and I never have to mess with knobs or buttons to make that happen or worry that the client will have slapback if they talk while playing back.

How much actual gain does that bad boy pump out? I am wondering if it would work with a gain eating dynamic without the cloud lifter.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a dynamic now, but I would be surprised it had enough to power one alone. It's one of the stronger pre-amps I've tried in this price range, but not an entirely different level. Maybe George got a chance to pump it through a dynamic.

As for the loopback, yes you need to flip a switch. Works well for me because I have it in the booth with me next to my mic. My rig sits just outside the booth, about 5 feet away. I will say, I don't entirely know what passes through the chain with the "loopback" switch engaged. If you want to help me test it, I can give you a skype call. There are pots for both monitors so maybe you can pass through the call and the recording and just mute when you want.

On a related note, I discovered that the AG03, like most USB devices, doesn't like passive long USB extensions. I first tried to power it through a 50 foot passive extension cable I have and it said "Uh, no". Couldn't get any power whatsoever. So now I power it through a 15 foot direct USB connection.

Last edited by paulstefano on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: AG03 Reply with quote

Jason, this is an excellent solution for mix-minus.

I picked one up after watching George Whittam emoting over it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUUP7eJwngQ

Don't think you have to play around with it once it is set.

What I like about it is the built-in DSP high pass filter and EQ. The Skype playback set up is pretty cool. The micpres and HPA and converters on the iD22 are much better, IMHO.

But I might be using it with a new my new condenser mic Smile as I like the fact that you can adjust the hpf and EQ to taste.

Don't think it has enough power for a dynamic mic without the Cloudlifter. George got lower levels using his AT mic than I have with my mics, YMMV.

Lastly the price is extremely low.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just so we are using the same terminology, you are saying that you can send the output of the DAW and the Mic input signal back to Skype without mixing in the input that is coming FROM Skype? So the client will not hear themselves back, and all over USB?

If that is the case, this does sound like it would be a killer solution. Does the DSP have any downward expansion capability?

I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I could recommend to people who are asking about this specific functionality Smile Maybe I'll pick one up and play with it!
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
So just so we are using the same terminology, you are saying that you can send the output of the DAW and the Mic input signal back to Skype without mixing in the input that is coming FROM Skype? So the client will not hear themselves back, and all over USB?

I am not saying. That. I haven't fully tested. Again, if you have some time, message me and I'll give you a call and we can figure it out.

Paul
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a free setup to run a playback on skype. Use these two for your skype sessions. It takes a little tinkering to set it up but I tested it on the skype echo and it works great. I'm using Windows 8 and the Focusrite Forte
I can playback any prerecorded audio from Audition 3.0 or browsers in the skype session.
Just mute your mic while you playback to avoid feedback.

Voicemeeter Virtual Audio Mixer
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/index.htm
VB-Audio Virtual Cable
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm

I do reset my audio setup in Audition prior to a session and then revert afterwards for regular day to day recording. I could just use the mute on Voice Meeter main out when I want to playback regular stuff to avoid echo. For me I think just setting up for skype and reverting after a session is best.
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can the AG03 also be used as a direct interface into the computer...ie, it's a preamp, a mixer..is there anything else needed to record directly ?
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballenberg wrote:
So can the AG03 also be used as a direct interface into the computer..

Yep. It has a built in pre-amp; quite a good one in my opinion, and connects via usb (2 I think). It has more gain for me than almost any pre-amp in its price range. I tried the Steinberg UR22, the Mackie Onyx Blackjack the Scarlett 2i2 and the Shure X2U. The AG03 has more clean gain then all of them.

I use it as an everyday interface. I really like the look because it has old school faders for mic input. Even though I almost never touch it, it makes me feel cool Wink

Last edited by paulstefano on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: