VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audient ID-22 with Source connect...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Audient ID-22 with Source connect... Reply with quote

As I'm using currently the ID-22 with a external pre, I'm connecting via the inserts, and I;m wondering how to configure talkback with Source connect that will eliminate the delay, and echo..
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with Source Connect, the software uses all inputs and outputs simultaneously...kinda stupid, but it is what it is. You don't typically need playback on Source Connect (since they are recording on their end) so I don't have mix-minus or playback set up. I have my mic plugged into return 1 (with an external pre).

In the system section of the Audient software set Talkback Assign to Mic 1. Yellow TB button indicates that the mic is hot, White indicates that it is muted. This mutes at the input so it will mute yourself in your headphones too. Also, the DIM button is automatically paired with the TB button because in a studio setting that is important, but I don't want to dim my signal from SC so I turned the DIM level (in the SYSTEM section of the Audient Mixer) all the way up. This essentially bypasses the DIM feature (though the light still turns on).

I have my SC input/output set to the system input/output. Then in System Prefs (on my Mac) I have Input and Output set up as iD22. SC will grab both input channels as its input (mixing them if there are multiple inputs) and then send its signal out to all your output channels.

As long as your mic is only plugged into channel 1, you can use the software TB button on their software mixer (or assign it to one of the hardware F keys by right clicking on the TB button in the MASTER SECTION and selecting which F key you want so use, either F1, F2 or F3. These are the F keys on the actual iD22 hardware, not your keyboard buttons). I don't have the iD22 in the booth with me, so I have the Audient mixer software up in one part of my screen and I just click the TB button when I am not talking. I usually keep it closed unless I'm speaking so that I can cough all I want. You just have to remember that you are only sending signal when the TB button is YELLOW.

I have my monitors (in the control room) set up as MAIN MIX, my output send that I use for phone patch with mix minus (physical output 3/4 plugged into my iMac 1/8" input jack) set up as CUE A and then my headphones set up as CUE B. This way, I have 3 separate mixes. When set up as Talkback, Mic 1 will never be in the MAIN MIX.

For mix minus in Skype, I have the Skype input set up as BUILT-IN INPUT in my Mac, so it is getting the feed from CUE A only and I can easily control what is fed to Skype. If SC wasn't so dumb with its input ( like it let you select an input channel instead of using both) I would just feed the output back into the other iD22 channel. Skype automatically picks up Channel 1 on whatever interface you use so you could feed 3/4 Output into Channel 1 and use Channel 2 as your mic input with TB. Unfortunately SC is goofy when it comes to inputs and outputs.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with SC today and 3.9 will have the option of selecting specific channels on the interface. Also, they said that if you set it as mono it will only use the first channel. So, maybe I'm using SC wrong Smile
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I guess I lied SC isn't weird. Maybe it used to be? I dunno, but either way I figured out what I was doing wrong.

If you use output 3/4 in mono and use a balanced cable from output 3 (or 4 if you want to set it up that way) plugged straight into Input 1 and plug your Mic into Input 2 (and set input 2 as the talkback) you can set up mix minus for Skype and SC without changing anything all the time. Just send Mic 2 to Cue A and NOT Mic 1. Mic 1 will be the feed that heads out to Skype and SC and Mic 2 will be what you run to your DAW.

Make sure you set your L and R output from your DAW to output 3/4 and don't send your computer audio to Cue A or your listener will get echo.

The only kicker here is that you'll need to make sure you use a good quality balanced patch able because you have another physical connection from your mic to the person recording on the other end of SC.

I'm gonna do a little test with a SC producer soon to see if there is any signal degradation with this setup...but there shouldn't be if you use a good cable.
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear if this setup works like you'd expect as I just replaced my ancient Mackie mixer with the ID-22. I'm currently in the "OMG, what do all these buttons on the interface do? Yikes!"-stage of understanding it.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I tried that second way and it didn't seem to work. Might need to wait until 3.9 comes out OR if you use Pro you can select individual channels on an interface (solving the problem).

Soundflower would probably work just fine, and the built-in input on your computer (providing you have one) works perfectly. That is what I've used for a long time (until I broke the jack on my iMac). If you have a Mac with an optical in, you could even use the optical out on your iD22 to send the signal in a lossless way to the Mac.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bransom wrote:
I'm currently in the "OMG, what do all these buttons on the interface do? Yikes!"-stage of understanding it.

The world that designs and manufactures the hardware and software we use tends to gain significan revenue from the MUSIC world... maybe the majority of their revenue.

Then along comes a dufus like me who has only once in his lifetime actually visited a real live studio that records music as a primary line of work but has long worked with recording small church stuff, news interviews, etc and you walk up to a piece of modern day equipment like the Audient and you see a button that is marked "DIM". And then you download the user manual and you look it up. "When you wish to implement DIM in your studio, push the button."

Wow. I don't see a connection where it interfaces with the studio lighting system. Cry

And so you carefully ask the question of others in such a way as to not totally embarrass yourself and you learn that DIMMING the monitor is apparently a very standard practice and feature.... OVER IN THAT WORLD WHERE THOSE OTHER PEOPLE LIVE AND FUNCTION. cool
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and I are living in the same world where DIM means mood lighting and has nothing at all to do with sound. And patching audio uses cables like these:

Dang new fangled hardware!
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Rogue Amoeba's "Loopback" app, could solve all of your audio routing problems.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I've had Audio Hi-Jack Pro for years and I jumped on Loopback as soon as it was released. I've barely scratched the surface with it, but it seems to be just the job for those "tricky" routing issues!

Last edited by Bish on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh. Sounds like a great tool.

(click/search)

Ooooops. MAC only.

Anyone know of a similar PC-friendly product?
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that would do it. I fixed my computer, so no need to shell out the cash money right now, but if I get a new computer (without an input jack) them this is perfect. I'd just have to figure out how to use it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: