VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microphone mount quick couplers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Microphone mount quick couplers Reply with quote

Recently I was sitting here thinking about the future of my recording space and wondering why someone didn't offer a snap-on/snap-off device so when we wanted to switch out microphones, or put one in a storage cabinet while you are out of town for a few days, you wouldn't have to sit their and unwind that little fine-thread connection that microphones expect to mate up with.

I guess George Whittam read my mind... long distance... because a week or two later on the VO-BS show he had us visit to the NAMM show and he is interviewing the fellow from Triad-Orbit and they make just such a thing!

And then a week later there is this mic on the set just behind Dan Lenard and at the end of the show he reaches up and just /SNAP/ pops a mic loose like I dreamed of. I got the idea it might be a different brand but I don't know that.

The Triad-Orbit pricing is a little higher than what I had hoped such a device would cost.... but I guess I'm just stingy. Can anyone steer me to any other vendors/manufacturers/distributors/dealers who offer such a contraption? I see at least of couple of those connectors in my future.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone posted a similar question on FB before the Triad-Orbit stuff went public. They recommended this number from On Stage

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-QK2B-Microphone-Quick-Release/dp/B0007SL86A

K&M also has a similar product

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1037602-REG/k_m_23910_000_55_quick_release_adapter_for.html
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one for only $7 a pop:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407113-REG/On_Stage_QK_10B_QK10B_Quick_Release_Adapter.html

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sean and Bruce. I did a Google search earlier and these did not show up for me. (I must learn how to search better!) That one in the $7 range by On-Stage would be great for a group set up in a local tavern with a traditional vertical stand and a sturdy dynamic mic that a vocalist wants to "cuddle" while singing.... but with a horizontal connection or a hanging-from-and-overhead-arm connection, I might be fearful of mounting my "crown jewel" studio mic and trusting the release-mechanism.

So do I want economy class.... or spend like a drunken sailor. I've got a while to think about that one!
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them...knock on wood, never had an issue. They take some pressure to release..not going to fall off
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On great. One of the only things keeping me from buying more mics was fear of not being able to get back to my original setup that has been tuned by George.Curses
Dale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vernon,
A little late to the party... I got a heckuvan eBay-deal on a dozen (brand new) QK-2B releases that Sean mentioned. Every shock mount and mic that I own has the female connector attached. I mainly use one tripod boom stand or my swivel boom arm, each having one of the male connectors. I have all of the spare males, if I ever wear out the snap (haven't yet) or lose confidence in their security.

Additionally, I have them hanging on all axes. I have not had to tighten the threads on a mic (really handy for my SM7B), mic clip, or shock mount, in over a year. The two heaviest mics I have used them with are the RE-20 and SM-7B. Snap on, Snap off...

They work for me and do everything I need from them.
Dale
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went back and checked the links to some of the suggested hardware and that one does look a bit more substantial than some of the other in that price range. When I saw that on and similar ones in earlier searches, my imagination did not let me see them in any other position that vertically, at the top of a traditional mic stand. Now that you mention it, I suspect it could HANG a mic or work as something of a "side-mount".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: