VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spend My Money!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Spend My Money!! Reply with quote

I have recently been given some feedback that my audio is a bit on the sibilant side. Enough to be an issue for some producers.

It's time to switch things up anyway. Currently I'm running a 416 into a Grace 101 (not "M", just 101).

Currently debating the following but looking for other suggestions to make the decision making process last longer Wink

Neumann TLM 102 or 103 (or other but would prefer to avoid the ones in the $3k range)
Cad E100s
Rode NTK tube mic

Pre's

John Hardy M-1
Avalon 737
Great River
Manly TNT
MSS 10

What sayth you gear heads? Have a great combo that sounds amazing and helps with sibilance or an experience with any of the above you could share?

Thanks in advance,

Drew
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to "go to school" by reading the various responses you get. My cynical side wants to say: You will spend a ton of money on an appealing microphone and end up with new-and-improved sibilants.

What software are you using. Some sibilants can be "sand papered down" through software and if we know what you are using, then people who share that same software may have suggestions.

I've gone through the Gear Acquisition Syndrome (a.k.a. GAS) a time or two and I can't get excited about the idea that a new mic covers the flaws in a voice, what you hope to get from a change is enhancement of the GOOD features of your voice and you can still be left to figure out a way to eliminate clicks, lisps and plosives.

Since I have my share of voice "blemishes", I shall go to school on the answers you get here.
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that expensive gear won't make me a better talent. But
I'm currently am on a setup that seems to highlights flaws. Being a in a business where only 1st place gets paid, it pays do everything you can, even if the differences are subtle. And I don't know many producers that would say your equipment choices don't matter.

And I don't have time to fix it in software. An ounce of prevention..

Mostly though, it's fun. I like gear and talking about it Smile
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am probably off base here, but your set up is fine (other than the 416 😁). To me, and this is my opinion based upon your description, the solution may be found by addressing the Mic differently. Or, taking a good look at your Mic and finding out if it needs to be fixed or not.

Get a friend to try your chain and listen to the results. If the sound is still sibilant, you may need to repair or replace the microphone. If not similar, look at yor placement of the mic. Also look toward the pre's settings.

If neither fix works. Spend lots of money and try before you buy.

Frank F
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not run a filter or subtle Eq?
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grace is very clean. Sometimes the line between super-clean and harsh/sibilant can be blurry.

If you like the 416 I would keep it and go with the John Hardy or maybe a UA 610 Solo.

Also, working the 416 slightly off-axis might help. I almost never address the 416 dead-on, but am almost always a little off to the side.

Of your other mic choices, I would say the TLM 102 or CAD would be the least sibilant.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of work with a lot of different studios, including NFL Films. I only say that to establish this… I get regular comments on how great my audio chain sounds, often followed by, ‘what are you running’. What I’m running is the same mic as you.

I also use a Martech MSS/10 preamp which I think is the best sounding pre on the market, bar none. EXTREMELY natural. With that being said, unless it’s not working properly, I don’t think it’s your 416.

IMO, you need to somehow isolate each component you already have, maybe with another VO person in your area, a Guitar Center, whatever and see which component you have, including your A/D converter and figure out what’s wrong. Most places have a return policy if you want to demo. But with what you’ve outlined I would think you should have a pretty clean, non-sibilant setup.

And if you really want to explore a great pre, check out the Martech. There’s another VO guy in Portland, where I live, who had his Avalon 737 go south. He called me and asked me to sell him on the Martech. I brought it over to his house and let him use it while I did some shopping in his area. He bought one the next day. Still uses it, still loves it. I’ve had mine for five years. If it went south, I’d get another. I’ve tried a few of the high end pre’s and it’s head and shoulders above anything else I’ve heard.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys, great info all around...

I don't like processing my audio. Really would rather have it correct from the beginning but I went ahead and added a touch of DeEss and re positioned the mic.

Now, my ears are playing tricks on me. Once you think something is sibilant it tends to be all you hear, whether there is a problem or not.

https://drive.google.com/a/drewcarpentervo.com/file/d/0B0RHu39MGd0JemRTMHJKTTFfSHc/view?usp=sharing

Can anyone weigh in on how this audio sounds?

For comparison, this is the OLD audio that caught flack from the client:

https://drive.google.com/a/drewcarpentervo.com/file/d/0B0RHu39MGd0JTU5sNmpNNjN0MVk/view?usp=sharing
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your Mic repaired or replaced.

F2
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you do need a new mic, or simply want to add one to the locker, two more you may want to consider are the Audio Technica AT4047 and the Gefell M930. The m930 is supposed to sound quite similar to the 103, without it's penchant for sibilance, and the AT4047 is the only mic I've seen where reviewers consistently comment on its resistance to sibilance and mouth noises.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I'm the guy Rick was talking about above. Yes, every word he wrote is true and I love the Martinsound MSS-10. (Just discovered they dropped the Martech, Rick. Who knew?) Once my Avalon 737 crapped out, I purchased another one from Guitar Center to hold me over. I was worried about keepng the sound of my rig consistent, but wanted to lose the tubes. The MSS-10 is solid state. In a back-to-back comparison over ISDN with one of my favorite engineers he heard little to no difference between the two. I was sold and have been happily tube free ever since!

Now, as for your mic; you might want to consider the Sennheiser 8040

Anthony Mendez wanted to get rid of the crispy quality of the 416 and called Sennheiser for a solution figuring after the 30+ years since the 416 was released, they probably have had some technical advancements. And he was correct. He's let me record on the 8040 a few times at Promax and it is everything Sennheiser said it was. The same rich full sound the 416 delivers without that MP3 high end brittle sound.
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Frank you think something is wrong with the mic?

I bought it new 4 years ago and baby it. Never been dropped or anything. I thought these were suppose to be pretty durable/reliable?

I trust your opinion but just want to confirm, you listened to the audio and are pretty sure something is wrong with it?
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
I love the Martinsound MSS-10. (Just discovered they dropped the Martech, Rick. Who knew?)

You have no idea how my heart dropped when I read this. So I wrote the company and asked about plans to replace it and should mine go south, repair it. The reply was almost immediate.

Hi Rick,

Don’t know who told you the MSS-10 is discontinued, but we’re still building, selling, and repairing them. Price hasn’t changed either… still $1,995.00.

Sincerely,

Shawn Micheal
Vice President of Product Development

Martinsound, Inc.
1151 West Valley Boulevard
Alhambra, CA 91803 USA
TEL 1.800.582.3555 x130
TEL 1.626.281.3555 x130
smicheal@martinsound.com

I'm breathing again.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're feeling adventurous there's the J1 by JZ microphones...I was reading about it just the other day:

http://lanceblairvo.com/blog/2014/10/jz-j1-microphone-cad-e100s-voice-over/

Someone try this out and report back! Laugh LOL
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

They dropped the name Martech for Martinsound. Same product, new label according the the major retail outlets.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MSS10?adpos=1t1&creative=83049424441&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CO_T2469_8oCFYSDaQodBvQOsg

Sorry for the confusion!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: