VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does This Make Any Sense?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Does This Make Any Sense? Reply with quote

My booth has a roughly square footprint. The interior dimensions are 42" in one direction and 39" in the other. What accounts for the difference is, three of the walls are double-studded, insulation filled, with a double layer of 5/8" drywall hung on resilient channel, making them about 9" thick, while the fourth wall consists entirely of the doors with some 5/8" drywall Green Glued to them, making that "wall" about 6" thick. In front of the doors, I have hung a quilt that consists of two furniture blankets with Roxul Safe 'N Sound insulation between them. It is mainly for sound deadening plus what little additional soundproofing the Roxul can provide.

Unfortunately, that curtain is rather cumbersome and I'd like to replace it with a couple of ATS acoustic panels like these
http://www.atsacoustics.com/panels , except custom sized for my doors. I would probably go with the 4" open-back ones, mounted so there's an air space between the panels and the doors. I have two questions:

1. Is this a good idea, or should I just deal with the blankets the way I have them?

2. If the answer to the above question is "Yes," would it be beneficial for me to mount the panels with different sized spacers so they are angled to form a "V" (as seen from above) rather than straight across. One side of each panel would stand off from the door by no more than 3-4" compared to the other side, so I wonder if that takes the room out of square enough to make a difference.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am by no means an expert. As I think everybody knows, Smile

However, my booth is a drumperfect drum shield that I modified and the resulting "door" is a V. I think that has done wonders to help with the sound on the interior.

I sent a sound sample to George this week and he said "that audio sounds great!"

I have done zero soundproofing on the inside except for 6 rolls of denim insulation, still in the plastic packaging, velcroed to the walls and stuffed in the corners (3 of each).
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 10' x 11' studio my 2" thick sound panels are attached directly to my drywall using the clips they supply. They're each backed by a thin sheet of plywood, not open. The sales rep at ATS told me that's all I'd need. No need for 4" thickness, no gap between panel and wall, and no open backed panels as "clouds" hanging from the ceiling. She was absolutely right.

Just sayin' that less may be very satisfactory.

My setup for the curious:

Shag carpeted floor, meh but effective

The 11' walls have just 4 - 2'x4' panels spaced out evenly, starting one foot below the ceiling

The 10' walls have corner to corner velvet-like curtains hanging from several inches below the ceiling down almost to the floor.

That's it. About as dead as you could want it. And I do some pretty loud reads on occasion.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee,

I'm not real good with descriptions as my auditions sometimes illustrate. Got a couple pictures of what you have so I can see what you want to do?

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
velvet-like curtains

B

MMMmmmmm velvet-like......is that anything like pleather? Ninja
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the panels you have proposed placing over the doors do SOUNDPROOFING. They are acoustic panels, and the room outside your booth may end up with a pleasant acoustical sound.

Acoustical panels let much of the sound go through, then the sound hits the surface behind the panel (your doors) and bounces off and tries to go back through the acoustical panel and looses some additional energy as it goes back through the acoustical panel going the other way.

Think about putting a layer of thin plywood right on the doors and then a layer of drywall glued to the plywood. That gives you MASS that becomes a boat-anchor dragging down your sound waves that in their mischief want to come into the booth with you.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, the intention is not soundproofing. I have done just about all the soundproofing I can do. The panels would be a replacement for the blankets for acoustic treatment. Based upon what I have heard from others who are using ATS panels, they should do what I want them to do. So my real question is, in such a small space, will mounting the panels at an approximately 12° angle give me any appreciable benefit, compared to simply mounting them parallel to the doors and the opposite wall?
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so don't give me a picture.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a simple online drawing tool that won't require me to install any software, print and scan the output, or spend more than 20 seconds to learn how to use. cool
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have a phone with a camera?

www.rickrileyvoice.com
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Just to be clear, the intention is not soundproofing. I have done just about all the soundproofing I can do. The panels would be a replacement for the blankets for acoustic treatment.

I see I came up with a flawed view of what you were saying. I pictured the bulky blankets on the OUTSIDE of the door and that the acoustical panels would go out there.

Duh!

I enjoy going the second or even third mile in some phases of construction and just for the satisfaction, I might also angle the panels a bit if I were under construction.

However, it is my view that most of this advice about having stair-stepped dimensions and angled (or even curved) walls has it's origins in the literature from the people designing BIG radio studios in the 1930s, 1940s along with modest sized concert venues. When the sound frequencies at the low end of the human voice have a wave-length of 5 to 8 feet, one of those waves coming from the mouth doesn't have much chance of sympathic resonance inside a booth with dimensions 3 feet by 3-1/2 feet.

If putting the acoustical panels at an angle gives you satisfaction, go for it. If you are already feeling crowded in there and angling the panels means you don't fit in there following a full meal. Put 'em flat. (If you don't tell the microphone, it will never know.)

Last edited by vkuehn on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, for Rick or anyone else who can't make heads or tails out of my description, here is an illustration. It's a top-down plan view. The thicker black lines on the left of each option are the doors (as seen from above). The thinner black lines are the ATS panels.

I am leaning toward mounting them as shown in example B. But my question is, is there any benefit to doing that over just mounting them as in example A?

And my other question is, if there is a benefit, does it make any difference if I go with configuration B or C?
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, Scheme B would be better than Scheme C.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't you have a phone with a camera?

I'm sure he does, but golly the shipping would be pricey with insurance and there's no guarantee you'd return it to him quickly enough.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, where are you relative to the doors? Putting aside the fact that the panels are designed to absorb sound and not reflect it, I'd think if you were anywhere northeast of the doors, you might want the top door from C and the bottom door from B; southeast of the door, top from B and bottom from C - playing the paranoid Snell's Law advocate. Dead east from the door, then B.

...and if you were to go North of the door, you would see a small mailbox here. There is a leaflet inside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: