VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does This Make Any Sense?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents. Regardless of the Roxul behind the moving blankets, moving blankets by nature are reflective. I know a lot of people use them, but the fact is they are designed for moving and not broadband absorption. So certain frequencies aren’t even hitting the Roxul, they’re bouncing off the moving blankets. Cheaper would be to make the panels yourself with your woodworking knowledge and use OC703. I’m a fan of that stuff and it’s made for broadband absorption.

Mounting them with an airspace between them and the door makes them even more effective and I think mounting them at the angles you have wouldn’t amount to any difference you could actually perceive.

If you were trying to solve a problem, then maybe the ‘angle’ angle would be worth it, but as I see it, the problem has been solved, now you’re just trying to make it a cleaner setup.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between having to order more OC703 than I need, plus the proper acoustic fabric, plus the additional lumber, It was actually cheaper to order a couple of custom panels from ATS. I just got the email telling me they have been shipped.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ATS panels have arrived. Here, you can see one of them installed. In the door opening, you can see the moving blanket quilt these panels will be replacing. I decided to abandon the idea of mounting the panels at an angle because it was going to be a huge pain in the ass for little or no benefit.

georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying that for years, Lee! Unless you are making a large number of panels (more than maybe 6), buying them built from ATS is a better deal all the way around. As for moving blankets, not all are made the same way, but the ones I buy are indeed highly absorbent, not reflective. They won't deal with low and low-mid frequencies, but absorb anything a 2" thick foam panel will at a fraction of the price per square foot.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the moving blankets that I've found work well. They are extremely similar to recycled denim...do watch out though, they sometimes smell like some kind of solvent and that could be bad in the booth Smile

Textile Moving Blanket
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are 4" open-back panels. They cost me around $250, including shipping. I don't think I could have bought the 703, plus the wood, plus the fabric, plus the mounting hardware for that. I'm happy to say they have killed the remaining hollowness in the booth's sound at least as well as the moving blankets did and are less bulky, so it feels like I have more room now (that's right, it's bigger on the inside). And now that they're mounted, I can see that if I had tried to angle them, I wouldn't have been able to close the doors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: