VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

build vocal booth in my bed room
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MGadAllah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: build vocal booth in my bed room Reply with quote

Hi,
I am Mohamed GadAllah from EGYPT at Cairo.
I am starting voice over career and working in my bedroom and kids are next room which driving me nuts!
I've been goggling so far for a lot of TONS of tutorials but I do not know what would be the real result.
I've found an old thread here about the guy who built a booth on YouTube but I am afraid that no links were included in this thread plus it was more then a one month old which prevent me to add a reply according to the sticky FAQs.
I do read a lot of ways and found a whisper room is very expensive to be shipped to EGYPT.
Also found a website that sells some plans to make a whisper room but do not know if it is good or not! (won't mention it to not consider it ad.)
Thanks
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Build an Isolation Booth Reply with quote

Mohamed, I see you have wandered into our conversation space. I posted that message a couple of months ago or when ever and I didn't link to it at the time... well it takes a small truck to carry the oversized link around!

So let me tell you how to find it without involving a small truck!

Search For: Isolation Booth:Part 1-Introduction to project

It is a series of SIX YouTube videos. (I became fascinated with the series because the young man has the same name as a broadcast family that had radio stations in the Cincinatti, OH and Terre Haute, IN area a number of years ago and I hoped he might drop a hint whether they are related. No hints dropped!)

Now, I've never been to his neighborhood to see what the noises there are, but all through the series I observed someone who was ZEALOUS in his battle with noise. I thought some of what he did was overkill, but maybe that was just my frugal side showing.

Enjoy the videos. We expect to see you around again. We might even let you show up asking questions. Smile
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've pondered...

From my days as an annoying youth with a loud car stereo (yes, I had one of those cars...)

That Dynamat stuff deadens pretty good. I'm wondering if it could be useful in a sound isolation/treatment plan in strategic areas? It works well to keep the sound IN and road noise OUT in vehicles...

Maybe deaden walls with that stuff, then layer acoustic foam on top to help with reflections/echos...Hm...

If the actual Dynamat brand is to expensive, I know guys were using hi-temp roofing mastic sheets for the same purpose.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes YOUR best product will depend on your market place. Sometimes when I go looking for materials that someone in this discussion group found to be MARVELOUS... I find that there is no outlet locally for that product in small quantities. After I selected my materials about five years ago, based not on what was best, but what was available LOCALLY in small quantities so I could experiment, I learned in this discussion group 3 or 4 months ago of a vendor about 15 miles from me that never came up in my searches earlier.

MGadAllah: We have no idea what is available in the Cairo market place. Listen to us as we tell you what materials, what brands have worked for us, and then see if those materials... or something very similar... are available where you live. Be ready to use what someone assures you is only SECOND best... because it turns out to be THE BEST available in Cairo.

The Dynamat product may be excellent. The other product that seems to have similar values is MASS LOADED VINYL.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mohamed
Welcome to the VO-BB!
I would check out some of the carpet shops around and start hanging them on the wall. I have several carpets I bought in Morocco and Mexico and I put panels of cushion type foam rubber behind some of them. It's a good start to help deaden the sound that reflects off the walls.

The kids noise is another issue. Really difficult to keep their noise to a minimum as kids will be kids.
MGadAllah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I've tried to isolate the door of my room as shown below:

The door is 12 cm width, with 3 layers as shown in pictures but really did not helped a lot to keep the kids disturbing out as they are kids as you mentioned.

This is the reason for thinking about making a booth in my bed room about 120cm x 110cm but do not know what would be the right and exact way to achieve the right isolation.

The 6 videos are amazing but I hope if there are any links for detailed plans for such a thing to build something like the one in the video.

Thanks
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door probably does help a bit. My guess is their noise is bleeding through the walls too which is where padding and blankets can help deaden some sound for a while as you find a more permanent solution.
MGadAllah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the door helped a bit but not as good as desired, this is the reason for my wish to build the vocal booth in the room!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar06/articles/studiosos.htm

http://www.acousticabins.com/acousticabins-express.html. Use this site for ideas.

Some things to look into.

Frank f
MGadAllah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Smile
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two mantras when building out a space.

Air and Mass. To battle noise infiltration you need to seal up all cracks where air can get in. Where air gets in, noise gets in.

Then there's Mass. With low frequency noise, you want the walls and such to be thick enough not to vibrate and transmit the noise. Think of a drum head verses a piece of concrete. Mass good.

If building a booth, (I'm not a fan of booths personally) make it as big as you can without interfering with your home and life. There are formulas for dimensions to avoid creating a BOOM box. I prefer to have the entire room being the booth. More air around the microphone is best.

Caulk up cracks, add some mass and go from there.

www.monksvoice.com
MGadAllah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monk wrote:
There are formulas for dimensions to avoid creating a BOOM box.
What is it?
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGadAllah wrote:
Monk wrote:
There are formulas for dimensions to avoid creating a BOOM box.
What is it?

Set "short dimension" as needed.
Dimension 2 = short dimension x 1.26
Dimension 3 = Dimension 2 x 1.26

This concept was really promoted back in the 1940's, 1950's for rooms where dimensions might be 20 x 24 x 30 feet.

In rooms this size the slightly better formula was promoted as
set short dimension as needed
Dimension 2 = short dimension x 1.59
Dimension 3 = dimension 2 x 1.59

I can find no current literature where any consultant is pushing that formula for rooms the size of a "booth".
MGadAllah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current place I want to use for the booth is 120cm X 100cm X 220cm high. Is it possible to do it in such a way!
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Louden ratios

This ratio of 1:1.4:1.9 according to M.M Louden (1971) is the best room ratio and it works within the confines of the existing control room space.

So a 8 foot ceiling would give you 8’ tall, 11.2’ wide and 15.2.’ deep.

There are other ratios, but you want to avoid square by all means.

www.monksvoice.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: