VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

build vocal booth in my bed room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MGadAllah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if it is 120cm x 90cm x 220cm will it ok as I do not know how to measure the right ratio
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted your metric dimensions to our state-side feet-and-inches world and you are talking about 3' x 4' x 7'3'' roughly. That is a tight fit for you to work in, but a good effort to try and shape your room to the formulas that Monk and I have referenced. From previous conversations, I am confident that several of the people who participate in VO-BB are using recording spaces of that size.

In reading conversations here and elsewhere for several years, I gather many of these people dream of eventually moving in a larger space, but you start where you can.

In a space this small you have limited options, by try to come up with a plan where the mic is not too close to one wall or the ceiling. Most male VO people are fine with a little big of Proximity Effect, You would like for your mic to have as much opportunity to "function in free space" as possible, but in a small space the mic has to be pretty close to at least one surface.
MGadAllah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right regarding the space as it is small indeed but this is the best I can afford for the time being.
I've some audio gear including:-
Shure SM7B - Heil PR-40 - EV RE-20
Roland TRI-CAPTURE usb interface
dbx 166xs Compressor/Limiter/Gate
dbx 286s Microphone Pre-amp Processor
Graphic EQ >>> an old one with 31 bands I guess it is 1231 (not dbx).
You mean if I stayed at any corner I will have a bad voice result!?
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGadAllah wrote:

You mean if I stayed at any corner I will have a bad voice result!?

It can. Sometimes what we think will be bad ends up complementing a voice that needs a little something else.

Take a little portable radio, a monitor speaker of something and set it on the floor in the middle of a room. Set it on top of a little flower-stand table. Set it on the floor against a wall. THEN set in on the floor in a corner of the walls.

You should hear the speaker taking on different apparent sounds based on it's relationship with walls and objects. A tinny little radio receiver takes on a pleasant bass sound when you set it in the corner. A really GREAT speaker will sound muddy, like crap, in the corner. Same process works with a microphone. Get the back of the mic too close to the wall in front of you, gets boomy. Back the mic into a corner and talk to it and it is even boomier. You don't have to wait until your booth is built to try all this. Do it in your current room.

Yes, your booth will be tight, but a lot of people use small booths. But as you plan how you will stand in your booth (or sit), as you plan shelves and brackets to hold copy, hold computer screens and how and where you mount your mic, the smallness of such a booth will require that you experiment and place everything very carefully.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGadAllah wrote:
You are right regarding the space as it is small indeed but this is the best I can afford for the time being.

You should sell at least 2 of those to fund your booth project. They are all virtually the same. As dynamics they should help with the space because they don't hear all the noise around them. Pick the one that sounds best for your voice.
MGadAllah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulstefano wrote:
MGadAllah wrote:

You should sell at least 2 of those to fund your booth project. They are all virtually the same. As dynamics they should help with the space because they don't hear all the noise around them. Pick the one that sounds best for your voice.
SM7B all the way hehehehe
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve skimmed over all the advice and bottom line, the only way you’re going to get rid of the kid noise is to get rid of the kids or move. Otherwise it’s going to have to be a compromise.

You don’t have the resources to eliminate the noise. You don’t have a big enough space and to build a booth in your bedroom enough to where it actually did eliminate the noise, well, it wouldn’t be a bedroom any more. So, work it out with the family that you are going to record at certain times and they’re going to have to be quiet by finding something to do that doesn’t involve noise. TV at low volume, computer game, board game, READING… you get the picture.

You’ve got a ton of obstacles to deal with to try to record in the house. People walking, running, talking or yelling, air conditioner noise, heating noise, just to name a few. I presume you can also hear what’s going on outside with the neighbors and the yards. Leaf blowers, mowers, cars, horns, trucks. With all that being the case, eliminate what you can as easily as you can. The only thing you really have control over is the room acoustics (reflections, etc.) and talking with the family to help dad with his work.

Compromise. As long as you’re in the house, with your family, with neighbors and don’t have thousands of dollars to throw at really isolating the noise, because with true isolation that’s what it takes, all you can do is live and work with compromises. From what I’ve come up against in working with the same conditions, that’s what I have found to be the reality.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
MGadAllah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reality
Gasp Embarrassed Lips Are Sealed Shocked
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just impressed by the bedroom doors! MAN are those nice!

MGadAllah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I was expecting to hear no voice after this door but I am afraid I am still hear it while it did helped but not as expected :(
It costed me about $200 us.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGadAllah wrote:
Honestly I was expecting to hear no voice after this door but I am afraid I am still hear it while it did helped but not as expected :(
It costed me about $200 us.

Just to elaborate on my above post. I just bought a door that is made for studio applications. Just a simple door. It weighs about 250 pounds. Nothing fancy but built with sound isolation as a goal. $2,250.

As I said, sound isolation is EXTREMELY expensive. And there are volumes of books on how to do it as people have devoted lifetimes to just studying effective ways to isolate and cope with unwanted sound. This is why I suggested compromises. To build an effective studio that will actually remove you from extraneous noises, at this point in your career, unless you have wealth from other sources, is pretty much priced out of existence.

Here’s the door I purchased. And BTW, the $2,250 was just for the door. Not the acoustics I applied to the inside.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it made from unicorn horns? what is the difference between it & a 2" solid oak door? i'm not disparaging --- just curious.

MGadAllah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice place indeed ... god bless you my friend.
Yes your previous 1st post was just the reality ... nothing more nothing less !
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
is it made from unicorn horns? what is the difference between it & a 2" solid oak door? i'm not disparaging --- just curious.

Yep, unicorn horns... among other things. That and a solid core weighs about 130 pounds less than the IsoDoor.

If you're really interested, here's the specs. http://isostore.com/shop/product/isodoor-sound-isolation-door/

I did a lot of research in my purchases. This seemed to be the best choice for the application.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dI remember as a young lad attempting to launch a broadcasting career and visiting some radio stations that had some pretty impressive doors. (I have always wondered what became of those doors as we modernized and radio moved into non-special office space on the same floor with insurance companies, collection agencies, and cosmetic surgeons.

The other thing that I remember about those installations which would be hard to duplicate in a home studio was "the sound lock". Enter the first well built solid acoustical door, let it close behind you, walk maybe six feet through an otherwise useless hallway and proceed through the second acoustical door. You could walk from the noise office of the radio station through the sound lock and into a live broadcast and introduce no noise into the broadcast.

If your home studio is in a bedroom at the end of even a short hallway, a second door across the hallway even if only 30 to 36 inches from the door of your new studio could bring a lot of isolation. If you are a do-it-yourself kind of person, that could be a little less expensive than the marvelous door Rick Riley has! (Also, not quite as isolating.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: