VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new Mystery Mic Sample
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the Neve stuff. It's clean at very high levels and always has been. Highs have to be way out of range to distort with this pre.

As for our mystery friend. It's a Langevin CR-3A. NLA Made by Manley in California. Lots of great pro sound reviews. Mine is a California model from 1994.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for our mystery friend. It's a Langevin CR-3A. NLA Made by Manley in California

Whoa there gettin' fancy on us.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Where on earth did you find that mic?? LOL Ninja

It's good to have different tools for different jobs. I've been (for quite a while) trying to determine what LDC mic I should get to have as an alternative to the 416 for more intimate stuff. The 416 really doesn't capture the nuance (at least in my mind) like a LDC mic. Personally I wouldn't be looking for rare discontinued mics but I think it is a good sounding mic on your voice! Gotta love that pre Smile
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
Nice! Where on earth did you find that mic?? LOL Ninja

I got lucky on finding the mic. Saw it for sale on Ebay and knew the history on these mics so I snatched it up prontopup! In shipping from the seller it got bounced around but the seller paid for it to be sent to Manley for service so it's good as new now.

An engineer I thread with occasionally calls it the 87 killer. Smile Same capsule as the Manley Reference Mic. Different circuits. It can make vocals stand out with its presence.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I fiddled a little bit with eq. Added a slight amt of low and a bit more highs leaving mids strait.

www.tvradiovoice.com/MysteryMiccomp.aif
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Mystery Mic Sample Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
Eddie Eagle wrote:
www.tvradiovoice.com/MysteryMicSample.aif

Neve stuff def. gives a "gritty" or "crunchy" or "edge" doesn't it? All of those words can't quite describe it...but when you hear the Neve sound, you know it. I personally really like it. I can see why people love those 1073s.

It's not distortion per-say...and it's not "noise" really either. It's maybe a crispness without being to sibilant?

Now on to the mystery mic...Hm. Tough, why do I get the impression we're being trolled and it's a really inexpensive mic and you're having fun with us? LOL LOL Laugh

Seriously though -- I don't have a clue.

I use a 1073 everyday. I wouldn't call it gritty or crunchy at all, but maybe I don't drive it hard enough for that flavour. Rich and buttery, yes.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:

It's good to have different tools for different jobs. I've been (for quite a while) trying to determine what LDC mic I should get to have as an alternative to the 416 for more intimate stuff. The 416 really doesn't capture the nuance (at least in my mind) like a LDC mic.

Same here.. a never ending search.. the 416 is definitely not the be-all-end-all.. I just dusted off the Shure sm7b found a deal on an AKG 220 Perception.. (newer version)..I've used both as a diversion. .and gotten surprisingly good results with the SM7b for narration and instructional type things…

Believe it not, with the SM7b, and some EQ experimentation, the difference between it and the 416 was indistinguishable to some clients...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
Jason Huggins wrote:

It's good to have different tools for different jobs. I've been (for quite a while) trying to determine what LDC mic I should get to have as an alternative to the 416 for more intimate stuff. The 416 really doesn't capture the nuance (at least in my mind) like a LDC mic.

Same here.. a never ending search.. the 416 is definitely not the be-all-end-all.. I just dusted off the Shure sm7b found a deal on an AKG 220 Perception.. (newer version)..I've used both as a diversion. .and gotten surprisingly good results with the SM7b for narration and instructional type things…

Believe it not, with the SM7b, and some EQ experimentation, the difference between it and the 416 was indistinguishable to some clients...

If I EQ my RE-20, I've had people ask me what mic it is, and not believe me when I tell them it's a dynamic...AND the RE-20. If you set the switch to cut the low freq. it takes to EQ very well and looses that classic "RE-20" sound that people instantly recognize.

Despite how much I love tinkering...I think in the end I'd rather just pick up specific mics that require as little EQ as possible. That's probably why the U87 and 416 are so desirable...they sound great without having to do much to them!
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:

Despite how much I love tinkering...I think in the end I'd rather just pick up specific mics that require as little EQ as possible. That's probably why the U87 and 416 are so desirable...they sound great without having to do much to them!

sounding "great" is really relative..

I don't really love tinkering honestly.. but putting all the switches on the SM7b itself, to flat.. adding a software Hi-Pass, adding a tad @ 100hz, cutting a tad @ 500, and finally adding a touch @ 2KHz,with a narrow Q, ( 10 minute process) and taking the foam windscreen off, it has enough sparkle to compare to the 416, but enough weight and ease on the ears to work for certain projects, where the 416 is weak...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Zoom TAC thing a good A/D converter? I'm still searching for a good A/D that doesn't include a ton of bells n whistles no one needs and costs less than $500.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
Is that Zoom TAC thing a good A/D converter? I'm still searching for a good A/D that doesn't include a ton of bells n whistles no one needs and costs less than $500.

Well, it's got Burr Brown DACs. I've done a LOT of back and forth between it and my Apogee Duet Firewire, and it sounds a little more sterile than the Apogee. If you have a Mac, it's a good deal IMO for what you get. I have an iD22 now, so I'm finishing all my projects with the ZOOM and migrating over to the Audient.

The ZOOM uses the Burr Brown PCM4202 (A/D) and AKM AK4396 (D/A) chipsets.

For some perspective, the Mytek Stereo192 ADC uses the same A/D (analog to digital) chip, and it's going for $1,195 at ZenPro Audio:

http://www.zenproaudio.com/mytek-stereo192-adc

Now, I haven't tried to use an external pre with the ZOOM, and from what I can tell you can't totally bypass the preamps 100%. You can connect through the line-in via TRS, but even without adding gain from the pres, you're signal is still running through them. That's one of the main reasons I picked up an iD22 -- so I could TOTALLY bypass the preamp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: