VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any hope to limit vibrations?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Any hope to limit vibrations? Reply with quote

Good afternoon everybody.

Looking for some engineering advice on my space. Some of you may remember me struggling with vibrations in my house from my kids running around below the room where my recording space is. Well, I got a drumperfect silencer booth and configured it to a smaller footprint to help with sound noise reduction. I configured it at about 3 X 4.5 and used the extra pieces to sit the whole booth on top of. I also used the existing roof pieces to completely enclose the space.

The results are good for sonic quality, so I'm hesitant to start over. I sent a sample to George and he said "gotta say, that audio sounds great". I am still struggling with vibrations, however. One, from the kids, and two, from the highway behind my house that has a low rumble with a cutoff frequency of about 85 khz. Trouble is, that is also partially where the low end of my voice sits.

So, my question (finally) is this. Is there anything I can do to help with the vibrations? I'm convinced most of the rumble is straight vibrations in the walls. Will putting the whole thing on wheels, or laying vinyl underneath do anything? The roof of the booth as well as the sides are not touching the rest of the house now, but the floor is, albeit through additional sound damping panels. Or is this a lost cause with my current set up?

Thanks,

Paul
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a low rumble, I'm pretty sure it's 85Hz. Unless you're a dolphin or a bat, you're not going to be hearing anything at 85kHz. Smile

As someone with (I think) a deeper voice than yours, I wouldn't worry about losing any of your voice at 85Hz. Most high-pass filters are set to 80-100Hz, and high-pass filter usage is common.

Are you hearing the vibrations during playback, or are you simply feeling them and/or hearing them while you're recording? As George says, "If it sounds good, it is good!" I've learned that while I notice a few things in my headphones while recording (e.g., quieter jets, distant traffic), I don't hear them during playback, so it's not really an issue.
@RichMillerVO
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, HZ!

I do hear it during playback as well. If the kids run, I hear a thud. And always the low rumble from the traffic.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul: are you using any software based noise removal to attack this problem? Is it helping? Thinking of the way we measure and express levels for Room Tone, do you have a measurement or estimate of the level of these vibrations and thumps? Are they -30... or maybe -50 or even -60?

Maybe besides having a voice with low frequency content, maybe you also have extraordinary hearing ability for those frequencies. You may be obsessed with worry over an issue where only 0.0003% of the humans on earth can hear the issue.
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85Hz lo cut is where you should start. No one will notice. I've started leaving the adjustable filter on my Avalon pre (80Hz) always engaged. It can help with some of your issues but maybe not all of them.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A floating floor under your drumperfect possibly?
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Eagle wrote:
A floating floor under your drumperfect

This is what I was thinking. Would casters be enough?
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so but. Only one way to find out.
Here's some interesting solutions that could be improvised on.
http://www.kineticsnoise.com/arch/floating_floors.html
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair warning: I built my booth on two dozen Auralex U-boat floor floaters and I can still hear the low rumble of passing traffic. It's barely enough to get picked up by the mic, but it's enough to annoy the crap out of me.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lee. That's kind of where I am and nearly exaxlty what I was thinking. U boats or maybe wheels. I can get by with aggressive high pass filtering, but I was trying to improve. Maybe it's not worth it
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try hanging your mic from the ceiling

Last edited by Eddie Eagle on Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One creative way ...

Use a filter to eliminate the offending frequency and then try experimenting around with Waves Maxxbass. Here's the SOS article on it:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb98/articles/waves.html

It's not an EQ...it actually adds clean harmonics around what's there. Like any of that software stuff, less is more. The less you mess with the audio via software the better IMO. Good sound in = good sound out.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulstefano wrote:
Thanks Lee. That's kind of where I am and nearly exaxlty what I was thinking. U boats or maybe wheels. I can get by with aggressive high pass filtering, but I was trying to improve. Maybe it's not worth it

You are fascinated with the idea of wheels or casters under your drumshield. I would think if you raise the drum schield up, you want the void filled with some kind of mass, not wide open space that lets the noise radiating up from the floor continue to head straight into your enclosure.

BUT, would it be all that difficult to either put the casters there, even tempororarily, or support the booth on little 4x4x4 pieces of wood to see what happens.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound doesn't travel in a vacuum...

I wonder if it would be possible to leverage this fact of science...are there any kinds of metal or glass containers that have vacuums in them people could use to "insulate" a space?
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
Sound doesn't travel in a vacuum...

I think the problem there is that you can't have a vacuum between the floor of your booth and the floor of your living space. Even if you have a box that is devoid of air, the box is sitting on the floor, and the booth is sitting on the box, and any vibrations that you're concerned about are going to travel through structure of the box, even if they're not going to travel through the space inside the box.

But I dropped the only physics course I signed up for in high school after a day or two, so what do I know.
@RichMillerVO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: