VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any hope to limit vibrations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it necessary to keep the kids?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above would be my thought. Children are tiresome, expensive and no help moving pianos.

Meanwhile, noise. It is tiresome, expensive and particularly of no help when it comes from people moving pianos.

That'll be $8.97
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhisperRooms come with casters as an option and they are ***supposed*** to minimize and/or eliminate low frequency rumble that resonates through the floor boards....seems to work in my case, although I don't have kids.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Kafer wrote:
Is it necessary to keep the kids?

Sometimes I wonder. Of course they are the joy and purpose of my life 90% of the time, but that 10%! You'd think they were trying to make me insane!
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vkuehn"]
paulstefano wrote:

You are fascinated with the idea of wheels or casters under your drumshield.

Vernon, this just seems like the easiest to implement first. I'm not a carpenter and have never played one on TV! A better bed may be a wood frame filled with heavy material. I'm kicking that around too.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easiest & absolute best thing to do ---

you need 4 yoga balls 113 tubes of super glue & six strong friends. careful of your fingers.

you are welcome.

paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to ask Todd, but seriously? I mean in some fashion would that work? Not with the giant, "let's pretend I'm healthy by using this ball as my desk chair" size balls, but some variation on that theme?
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was being silly --- but i believe the design is sound. i was thinking of (1) the sorbothane bumpers between my monitors & stands --- and (2) the anti-vibration mount between my drone & the camera. you COULD build a giant version of this:

iso booth + bouncy-house for the kids!

vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulstefano wrote:
I hate to ask Todd, but seriously? I mean in some fashion would that work? Not with the giant, "let's pretend I'm healthy by using this ball as my desk chair" size balls, but some variation on that theme?

In our younger years when vacation money was tight, my wife and I had some camping equipment which allowed us to travel to places where we couldn't afford traditional resorts and motels. Some inflatable camping mattresses are pretty flimsy, some are built like TANKS. When we began hosting grandchildren in the cottage where I live now, we once again found some durable inflatable mattresses for Summertime use and they would discreetly hide the rest of the year. I suspect one of those things might be more practical under a booth than we realize. Have blocks under the corners so the deflated mattress could slide out for repair or replacement.

I think there are other ways I would use to isolate the underside of a booth, but for a one or two year transition while doing V-O in a rented apartment, an inflatable might be the ticket.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but think, "Dang, it must be noisy down there in the lower-48 or something, as everyone has problem with noise!"
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cause is vibration coming through the structure and not the air, why not try hanging the mic, as Eddie Eagle has suggested? Use some kind of rope, fishing line or string that makes you happy and won't break. Make a pyramid shape with it, so the mic can't swing far if you (gasp!) accidentally bump it. This method is ancient - and sometimes the old ways are the best (and cheapest).

To test before you do anything permanent, why not hit record, hold the mic in your hand and sit quietly for a bit, then listen to the result.

Quote:
and no help moving pianos

The first rule of pianodom is never move your piano - let the rest of the house move around it. When your wife complains, pretend you've suddenly lost your hearing. Steinway 1, People 0.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisvoco wrote:

To test before you do anything permanent, why not hit record, hold the mic in your hand and sit quietly for a bit, then listen to the result.

So I finally got around to trying this. I held the mic in my hand and had the kids run around downstairs. Although I could hear the thuds nothing was picked up on the mic. So it seems the vibrations are coming up through the floor.

Now comes the hard part. I'm in a booth. What can I use to suspend the mic? I was already using a stand with a shock mount, but I guess it was not enough.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang it from the ceiling with 30-50lb fishing line (you can double or triple up the line if you only have a lighter test of fishing line) or any kind of cord that is strong. Use a shock mount to tie the line or cord from the ceiling so you can aim the mic.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

550 cord (paracord)

vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul: Here comes the wildest suggestion of the day. I did not attend engineering school so I can't quote resources that prove this idea, but it seems that MASS is sometimes a critical component of stopping vibration.

From the ceiling or from some framework that is holding blankets, use bungee-cord material to suspend something heavy just above where you want the mic. It could be a small concrete block. It could be a couple of metal weights from an old window sash mechanism. Or maybe the best looking would be from the sporting goods store... a weight like goes on the "dumb bell" bar for weight lifting. Hang the weight from above using the bungee cord material, and attach to mic to the bottom of the weight.

The entire house can jump up and down in tune with the kids, in tune with the trucks driving by, the the weight just hangs is space defiantly muttering: "I ain't going anywhere!!!" and your mic hangs onto the non-moving weight for dear life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: