VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any hope to limit vibrations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the second floor of my home and my kids run up and down the stairs outside my room all the time. I did, however, do a pretty hefty floating floor and even though some really low frequencies still make it through, I don't have any issues that result in needing to re-record stuff. I put a ton of weight (in the form of thick OSB and even drywall with green glue between each sheet, then rubber isolation pads and sideways studs (so it only added 2" of height) and then two more layers of thick OSB with green glue. I put recycled denim in the stud pockets in the floor. I then have my mic on a stand with a shock mount.

With all of that, I still get noise.

Here is a key takeaway I learned while purchasing our current home. Wood flooring and carpet have limited weight and result in the floor vibrating a lot when people stomp around on it...heavy ceramic tile results in a lot less of that vibration...this means that weight on the floor stops the vibration therefore a lot of weight on the floor with some decoupling and weight on top is probably about as good as you can get unless you build your booth on a slab.

You could always just use concrete as the base, float the floor above that and then put light weight concrete on top Smile Just watch out that you don't overload the structure of your house!
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:
suspend something heavy just above where you want the mic.

Interesting but Fishing line is easier and safer for the mic in the event the rig fails and falls. Smile
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Eagle wrote:

Interesting but Fishing line is easier and safer for the mic in the event the rig fails and falls. Smile

Some situations only need just a little bit more isolation, others require heroic effort. I start with the easiest, the safest, the least costly solution and see if it works. If not, ratchet up things a bit.

Whether you use fishing line, bungee cord material, some line you pick up at the sail-boat shop, or even a traditional floor stand, when you consider the investment we have in some mics, a slack safety-cord securely anchored from the ceiling is probably a good insurance policy to keep a fine mic from having a collision with the floor.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:
the easiest, the safest,

Sorry I should have said I wouldn't put a weight on the cord that would be of any substantial mass above the mic in case of cord failure and weight falls on the mic.
My bad. Smile
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a point of interest, Todd's "booth-on-yoga-balls" concept is a realistic one.

In the earlier days of radio, some stations located in larger cities would build their studios so that they were structurally isolated from the framework of the building; suspending them on cables and/or employing springs and/or rubber shock mounts. I believe NBC's headquarters (30 Rockefeller Plaza in NYC) is one such example, having been built specifically for radio broadcasting in the early 1930s. The biggest studio in the building is 8H (at the time of construction, the largest radio studio in the world), originally host of the NBC Orchestra under Arturo Toscanini, converted to television in 1950 and, since 1975, the home of Saturday Night Live.

Whether a broadcasting buff or fan of Art Deco architecture, 30 Rock is great place to visit when in Manhattan.

We now return to our regular programming.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my old radio productions studio, the turntables were mounted in sandboxes to minimize the effects of vibration. I suppose something like that could be scaled up for an entire booth.

Using a suspended weight as a mass damper would probably be more effective at keeping the upper floors of a skyscraper from swaying in the wind than it would to eliminate vibration problems in a booth.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
In my old radio productions studio, the turntables were mounted in sandboxes to minimize the effects of vibration.

The most novel vibration protector I ever experienced was in a Southern U.S. radio station built in an old rural residential building with a crawl space below the frame construction. The turntables were on top of those GATES cabinets that sat on the floor. When any body in the building walked, the floor vibrated and the playback arms would jump from groove to groove. They moved the cabinets to one side, drilled holes about 2" in diameter where each of the four little adjustable legs had been sitting, took some 3 or 4' lengths of plumbing pipe and a sledgehammer and drove the pipes into that Mississippi Delta soil, and put the turntable cabinets back in place sitting on the pipes which peeked up through the floor a half inch or so. You could jump up and down on the floor and it did nothing after that... unless you were heavy enough to make the entire site, tower and all, jump up and down. (Which a crop duster pilot did one day when he crashed and knocked the top half of the tower down. Smile )

Quote:
Using a suspended weight as a mass damper would probably be more effective at keeping the upper floors of a skyscraper from swaying in the wind than it would to eliminate vibration problems in a booth.

I really stirred up a hornet's nest with my plan to hang a vibration damping weight above a mic location and suspend the mic from the weight. I'm using a hybrid version of that in my current studio. The weight in this case is a colorful little party gift-bag filled with Petosky stones and no bungee cords. I am in a attic space with a flimsy floor and a running furnace fan about 24 feet away. All I can tell you is that the current half-baked implementation is working quite well, and when I relocate, I will install a fully-baked version.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:
the current half-baked implementation is working quite well, and when I relocate, I will install a fully-baked version.

My dad always used to say, "There are two ways to do things: assed and half-assed." cool
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update this post to say I think I found a solution!

I re-configured my Drumperfect "Franken-Booth" yet again. This time, however, I put a rubber mat under the panels. I used one of those puzzle piece gym mats 20mm thick.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=62858526&clickid=body_rv_img&bc=RecentView_1

Then I stuck two of the absorber panels on top to make a floor as I did before. Then set up all the other absorber pieces into a booth on top. The result is quite staggering. I did a test myself, first running a few laps on around the 1st floor of the house. Then diving across the floor as my boys often do when they are wrestling or playing ball in the house. I came back to look at the recording to find only the slightest wobble in the waveform. When I listened with my headphones I couldn't hear a thing. Then I ran a high pass filter at 75 and it wiped out everything, completely straight waveform.

With my AT875r the noise floor was -72, with my AT3035, -67. Both amazing in my book.

Before, all those things I did on the first floor would show up as pronounced spikes in the waveform, and be completely audible with headphones.

So, obviously, I'm excited. The bonus is I got another 3-4 inches of legroom in the booth. Now I have a staggering 3 feet 10 by 3 feet 7 inches to work with. Whatever will I do with all the space?
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I've been thinking of putting similar material around my desk/workspace just for making standing for reads cushier; but perhaps this stuff would help the noise floor a bit too. For the price, it's worth a go. Glad it worked so well for you!
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul:

So a sandwich of the gym mats and DrumPerfect baffles did the trick, huh? Good to know, man! Sounds like a great low-frequency structure born noise isolation solution, and you saved yourself a LOT of money and hassle.

George
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:

So a sandwich of the gym mats and DrumPerfect baffles did the trick, huh? Good to know, man!
George

Yes. A substantial improvement. Still not perfect, but with a high pass filter, it gets it down to sounding really good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: