VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grateful for any critique!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Grateful for any critique! Reply with quote

I am in the midst of making a commercial demo, and I'm struggling with an issue I would love feedback on. In the search for work, I get responses, or interest for auditions which are character related (animation, videogames, book trailers) which is wonderful, as that's my favorite area of VO. However, as the bulk of work out there comes from narration, I want to be viable in that market as well. So far, I have gotten zero results or interest from my narration auditions. My narration demo is weak, after I had to splice in some fixes myself because the demo I produced ended up being half narration half commercial, which was frustrating (after I'd spent $1000 bucks to train and prep with a studio for it), though if you'd like to comment on the specifics of that I pretty much savor all the wisdom you guys dole out. What I'm looking for most are some notes on my sound. I've been told that I have a young voice, and most often get work as a teenager, which I'm not by a long shot. I'm wondering if I should even waste my time auditioning for hospitals, insurance agencies and the like, if I don't have the age in my voice to instill confidence in the buyer. Or is it something else entirely? I've got thick skin, and would be grateful for any thoughts on this Smile

https://soundcloud.com/user-17900237-37968119/heather-masters-narration-demo

www.heathermastersvo.com

Last edited by HeatherMasters on Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read at someone then they may hear the information but are not engaged by you. Voice tone is not an issue, you're fine, sound great. You need to talk to me as opposed to read at everyone. If you feel like another Skype session we can fix this without too much difficulty.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Philip said +1.

Ever sit down and try to convey something to a 4 year old? Most of us cannot talk AT a child, we take our voice and wrap it around a child like you would wrap you arm around the child. After practicing with a 4 year old sitting in your imagination, then just back off a bit and look at your mic, and talk WITH an adult sitting in your imagination.

Last edited by vkuehn on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious what your acting training is. I often cringe when I hear someone say the spent $1000 on training and a studio. First of all, I wish I could say I only spent $1000 by the time I was ready to compete as a beginning out of work actor. From the acting classes, improv, and vo training, it was a lot more than $1000!! And it was also several years. Not sure how long you've been at this, but by virtue of having a demo you are telling the industry you are as good or better than those already working. And keep in mind I'm a union actor, which meant (at the time) $1000 just to join 2 unions as an out of work actor. Then there was mailings of the demo, which ran me a good $5-10 grand a year. Things are miles cheaper today as the marketing is done electronically. But solid training and preparation takes time, and is not cheap. But everything is relative. You don't have to compete as aggressively as top pros do. You can dabble, if you so desire. But you get out of it what you put into it. And even after 30 plus year, I still work with a coach to stay relevant and sharp, and invest/reinvest.

As it's been said, it's less about the voice and all about the acting. What your demo lacks is perspective. I hear the technical vo tricks to express variety in your read, but without intent or purpose, which comes across as sing songy. That said, I can also hear raw talent. But it needs to be honed.

Rawness is very in today. Polished, not so much. Your sound, and who you naturally are is extremely marketable. But you need acting training, which will give you the skills to consistently repeat your talent at will.
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where I come with head bent and chagrinned as I realize the impetuosity (did I just make up a word?) of my post. See, I got the demo done a while ago, and have since begun studying with Nancy Wolfson which has helped dramatically. But I actually hadn't listened to this demo for a while, as I mostly focus on my audiobook demo (where the bulk of my work comes from). After listening to it again, I realize anew just how bad it actually is. To answer some you your very pertinent questions Bob, I have a degree in theatre, and went through a well known studio for VO training and demo prep, which cost $1000 (not including the demo production and studio fees). I have learned so many lessons from this experience, so I figure maybe if I share a bit, it may save some poor newbie from time and money wasted. The studio had me prepare my Narration demo with Audiobook coaches (because I told them I had an interest in audiobooks). And then I had the demo produced and directed by a studio in town, (which has little experience with demo production...insert cringe here) The problem which seems so clear to me in hindsight, is that I needed someone who was fluent with NARRATION to coach and direct me. I was coached and directed as to how to perform and told things like "sex it up a bit" on spots which later professionals told me were completely inappropriate for narration. In no way am I trying to blame my sucky demo on these people, who are all lovely, and very skilled in their field. The fault was entirely mine, for not being specific in pursuing intentional direction. I only write it now, as a warning to newbies, to spend the extra money it takes to make sure you get top notch instruction from the RIGHT person. That's why, with my commercial demo, I'm not messing around. So now my question is, should I take down the narration demo? I guess I figured that my audition would be what gets the job, but is it likely that a potential client may like my audition and then go listen to the narration demo and move on because it's lame?
Thank you all for your spot on comments. I soak them up Smile

www.heathermastersvo.com
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeatherMasters wrote:
So now my question is, should I take down the narration demo?

Of course!!!! The only thing we want representing us is brilliance. And I appreciate the clarification above, but you should have included all of that in your original post. You will find lots here in DB's world happy to chime in and help their fellow actor. But it saves a lot of posting time if the questions come with as much clarity as possible.

And I'd love to know whom you did the $1000 training with. PM me if you don't wish to post publicly.

B
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your straightforwardness Bob. It is so helpful. I think I was just hesitant to take it down because if I take it down, it feels like thousands of dollars just down the tube (though I do believe the life lessons were invaluable), and that's just painful. Also, I don't have another demo to replace it yet, so my audiobook demo just seems lonely on my page. But you are absolutely right. Why do I want something I'm ashamed of on my front page!

Thank you for pointing out what should have been a no brainer for me. Smile

www.heathermastersvo.com
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah.... it is a strange and mystical endeavor that we pursue. I decided to jump into the swim we call Voice-Over at a time in life when I didn't need instant success and gratification for either the needs of my ego or my pocketbook. I took my time, took lots of walks through "Voice Over Park" and just watched the other participants. (And I still have a major journey ahead of me!)

It didn't take me long to realize our "industry" has a lot in common with the Amway multi-level-marketing craze of a few decades back. There seems to be more people who want to train you and create your demo for thousands of dollars than there are people who actually, really do reputable V-O work for real money. No, I know that is not true, but there are days when that seems to be the case. (I guess we can thank the Internet for that. The net is an inexpensive place and way to troll for suckers!)

While the Internet makes a great hunting ground for these questionable trainers and coaches, this same Internet makes it possible for those of us who live out in the hinterlands and fly-over country to be participants. No longer do you have live in or near big cities with professional studios if you want to be a part of the "movement".

And we can thank the Internet and the "guitar store craze" and kids wanting to make music that have created a marketplace where microphones and USB converters are now affordable ways of establishing a recording space of your very own.

The transition has to be tough for the Bob Bergens of the world and others who are pioneers of the spoken voice sphere. In those early days your investment in training and recording space was astronomical in comparison. Thanks to Bob and others who are philosophical enough to endure all the change with grace, and still reach out with a helping hand and helping advice.

May your tribe increase!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: