VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whisper room...vs other options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I engaged in some conversation recently which included a lady in New York City who does some work as a tech in some commercial studios but also has her own recording facility in a rented living space in a multi-story NYC apartment building. She has something of a "take no prisoners" attitude about what a studio must be. She will schedule union talent to come to her studio at a given time and she will record them, and then maybe later in the day be in the commercial studio doing recording and editing.

The part of the conversation that I remember, and which fits right here: If she has set aside 45 minutes for a recording session at 10:15 A.M., there is no slack for waiting for the neighbors laundry to finish or for the traffic reporter in the helicopter to finally leave the zone. And maybe the session will include direction via ISDN. It has to happen on schedule! She was rather adamant that a "Lego-Booth" was not going to be adequate for her next step.

It was a stark reminder: we don't all face the same level of challenge.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
The whole point of the booth (and not all booths are soundproof enough) is to allow you to record no matter what noise is around. Most people can get a silent recording at 2am but that's not when clients want a session.

Amen. Just one time with a high-end client having the neighbors mower or your dog barking at the mailman ruin a take during a session, and you can kiss goodbye the odds of getting any more work with that client unless they are very understanding. And most aren't. That's why I bit the bullet and went with a double-walled WhisperRoom.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
Haven't had any of those issues yet. I guess I'm lucky with the situation/placement of my home.

Yep, I'd say that's the key right there. It doesn't make sense for you personally to invest in a booth because you don't live somewhere with a lot of noise. The majority of people live with noise to deal with so rather than working around noise we must eliminate it Smile Heck, if I didn't HAVE to spend the money to make a booth you can best believe I wouldn't have...but it is a complete necessity so I can deliver 99.9% clean audio 99.9% of the time without bribing the neighbors to have their yard crew work around my schedule.

vkuehn wrote:
It was a stark reminder: we don't all face the same level of challenge.

That's it right there! Smile
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood wrote:

Just one time with a high-end client having the neighbors mower or your dog barking at the mailman ruin a take during a session, and you can kiss goodbye the odds of getting any more work with that client

For many years, I recorded in my dining room and my clients were quite happy with the audio I supplied to them. But most of the time, I recorded in my own time, self-directed, and was able to wait until the neighbor finished leaf-blowing or lawn-mowing, could pause and re-record a line if the radiator clanged or the furnace fired up.

But when I got ISDN, I knew I couldn't work around those sorts of things in a live session, so that's when I built my booth. Getting my small booth to sound as good as my wide open former space has been a challenge, but it certainly is quieter.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, I've been wondering about that -- is that a common issue people have with small booths? I know eventually I'll be setting one up myself.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the biggest problem with a small booth is how to make it not sound like you're recording inside a tin can. I can't see how it couldn't be a common problem.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, a TIN can would be too TINNY sounding. A small booth can take on the attributes of a small root-cellar... where you rush with your family during tornado weather. More of an EARTHY sound.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there's an optimal size you can make a booth to combat that "boxy" sound? If maybe making it a few feet wider or higher might help combat that just by having extra air for the sound waves to vibrate?
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliminating right angles works wonders. Even whisper room has a diamond shaped model.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in tracking down any "academic discipline and quality" report on diamond shape vs. rectangular/square spaces in the "booth size" realm. Can anyone point me to such a study or report?

I read the stuff on concert halls and worship spaces and large size recording spaces (12 performers or larger?).

I'm looking for literature on spaces under 360 cubic feet. Even better would be an article on spaces under 200 cubic feet.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My studies are called "life experience of 100's of clients". The Diamond shaped booths almost always sound better acoustically stock from factory. The square are the worst, the rectangle in the middle. They can all be tuned.
Sound proofing is depending on frequencies that need abated. Figure that out first before you shop by recording room tone at different times of day in the location.
More opinion of mine here.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished building a booth so I'm going to weigh in here. I did a ton of analysis and research before I made a decision about what to do. My needs absolutely required isolation. I have a better than average day job so 95% of my recording is done when family is home. They are either living, which requires sound unfortunately..(the sound..not the living!) or trying to sleep which requires quiet; which I cant be if I'm working.

I'd tell anyone to consider building if they are remotely handy or know somebody that is willing to help. Fraction of the cost with about 95% (or more in some cases) the efficacy.

A. Dont over complicate it. Whisperrooms are nothing more than an mdf container with a good seal. Unless you can afford a double wall version you can build something just as effective.

B. Drywall/gypsum is actually more dense than mdf. Most people dont know that. If you are willing to build a stud wall, double hung drywall on the exterior side with green glue between the sheets, you can build a really cheap and effective booth. If youd like a booth that is larger than 4x6 you probably need to consider this option.

C. After density of material the seal is everything. Sound LOVES to flank. Door seals must be custom built for your specific door. Easy to do. Very easy actually. Corner joints, ceiling joints, etc. must be sealed inside and out with green glue sealant. If air can get in, sound can get in.

D. All of this means nothing if you are not good at planning or have tools to do a good job. Seriously, building my booth was great. Saved me thousands. But it took me a month or more because I was doing it on weekends and evenings. You'll make mistakes. It just takes time. Dont cut any corners.

E. Your custom built booth or purchased booth wont sound as good as youd like it to. Be prepared to treat it heavily. I just sent info to George today as a matter of fact because I want help getting my booth tuned. I was very aggressive with my acoustic plan and still want a professional opinion.

F. It's really about what you need. Only you can assess that. If you're just worried about garden variety suburban noises, chances are that a simple mdf box will help you immensely if its sealed correctly. If you have other issues to contend with then it can get costly.

G. As an example, my booth cost me less than $1400 all in. That is including fancy lights ($100), acoustic panels, delivery, everything. Same size whisperroom was something like $4800 not including shipping, acoustic treatment, or taxes. I'm guessing north of $6000 all in.

Good luck.

gary
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
The Diamond shaped booths almost always sound better acoustically stock from factory. The square are the worst, the rectangle in the middle. They can all be tuned.

As booth planning progresses, and you plan a little bigger, and then a little bigger yet, is there a size where the difference between rectangular and diamond shaped does not produce noticeable difference in favor of the diamond shape? Or is it a design that "just keep's on giving!" ?
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yarg28 wrote:

E. Your custom built booth or purchased booth wont sound as good as youd like it to. Be prepared to treat it heavily. I just sent info to George today as a matter of fact because I want help getting my booth tuned. I was very aggressive with my acoustic plan and still want a professional opinion.

update: "All of the work paid off, it sounds EXCELLENT! "

George gave me a clean bill. All the forum trolling and research paid off and listening to guys like george and ethan winer is good policy.

Now I can go obsess about something else....
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ethan Winer but when he starts talking techno-acoustics it makes my brain hurt. Ninja
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: