VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

remotely directed session advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: remotely directed session advice Reply with quote

I'm at a point where I know that some time soon I'm going to get work that requires directed sessions from my studio.

ISDN is out of the question for me. Availability issues.

I want to be certain to represent myself as well as possible. What is the expectation today among clients when they need to direct you remotely?

What should I be striving to provide as a service if ISDN is a no go?

I know there is source connect, ipdtl, skype, phone patch, etc. I just dont know if one will cover everything or if I need multiple systems.

Thanks

Gary
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just looking at directed sessions, there is a vast array of choices. You do not have to buy anything to enable the client to direct you. The options are wide open:

Phone... free for both ends
Source Connect NOW: free for both ends
iPDTL: Subscription. This costs money and is only worth it if the studio wants to record you remotely (even then it can be hit/miss). It's not worth paying for it just to let the remote studio remotely direct you. If a studio is invested in iPDTL, they will have spent the extra and have a remote link capability (link+) and will connect you on their account (you just need to be running Chrome). Some will argue otherwise and say that the VO having a link+ subscription will allow you to offer the service to studios and production houses. That's not your job. I'm dumping mine... it just isn't worth the money (and SC NOW works just as well for free).

So, save your money and just list,"Directed sessions available via phone, Skype, Source Connect NOW, etc."
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bish.
I have skype.
I'll check into source connect now as well.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish, maybe you can downgrade? I signed up in the Summer when they were in Beta. I maintain a free account so that I can advertise being an "ipDTL studio" with the thought that if anybody requests me setting up a session I would just pay the fee at that moment.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is kind of how I did it with Source Connect. I demo'd it to get all the kinks worked out and then paid for the software after it was needed. I now use Source Connect (Not Source Connect NOW) a TON, so it has more than paid for itself. I have ipDTL for dialog (Source Connect latency makes dialog a little off and ipDTL is MUCH better) because studios that I've worked with regularly weren't a fan of SC NOW. We had some issues in testing (mainly connection weirdness and some inconsistency on that front) and decided it wasn't worth the risk.

With the ipDTL Tel+ account you can call and receive calls from ISDN. It is still bridging but you don't have to schedule around it. Only kink in that is you don't have SPIDS until you start the session so you can't have the studio keep your SPIDS on file and call you. I know there are some studios who still are dead set on true ISDN, but it seems like a lot are becoming more and more open to other options.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
I now use Source Connect (Not Source Connect NOW) a TON, so it has more than paid for itself. I have ipDTL for dialog (Source Connect latency makes dialog a little off and ipDTL is MUCH better) because studios that I've worked with regularly weren't a fan of SC NOW.

I'm confused; what do you mean by "dialog"? Are you saying that you use source connect for communication but not recording?

Thanks

gary
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, that's my intention... downgrade and use whatever they have for free (which will be good enough for directed sessions). It was a little bit of a "Emperor's New Clothes" thing... they were really pushing to be the next-best-thing, and after getting in on the first wave (getting link+ for the price of a standard link) it has consistently failed to live up to expectations both technically and financially. Others may love it, but to me, it's not worth the money.

Before the thread goes too far off track... the original question was about directed sessions (not remote recording)... so basically any free service (or two tin cans with tight string) will work perfectly.

Remote live recording is a can of worms with all sorts of IP wonder-codecs and bridging... all purporting to provide usable and suitable point-to-point connections.... and they do... until they don't. It's the internet. It is a fickle beast with no guarantees of end-to-end consistency of quality, latency, or even connectivity. What's the movie quote? "Sixty percent of the time it works every time."
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:

"Sixty percent of the time it works every time."

Sex Panther!!!
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Bish. I use a Skype phone number for patch but Google Voice is free (or was) and quality is much better than it once was.

Just depends on what you need.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very recent experience is that Google Voice/Hangout works much better for Voice than Skype.

It seems when in a video call, Skype will prioritize Video, while Google will prioritize audio.

I have no hardware evidence to back this up, but personal experience says so.

This past Saturday I was on a Skype video call, and the audio was dropping while the Video remained solid. Then a little later in the same day, I was on a hangout video chat and the video was choppy, but the audio was crystal clear throughout.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt plan on using any video for directed sessions. I'd just disable it if i was using skype. No need to fight with bandwidth for no reason.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I have never had a bandwidth issue with my Skype phone number (which is identical to a Skype to Skype call for the most part) for phone patch sessions in the 3 years I've used it. But if you need video, then we're talking about something totally different Smile
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! I'd forgotten all about Google Plus and Hangouts... and that may be very telling as to their market penetration). I do use Google Voice as my regular phone line (double delivered to studio phone and mobile) but in principle I tend to avoid Google stuff as it's so intrusive... that's my opinion, others love it.

Totally agree that video is not needed... I have only used video once or twice, and that was to meet client expectations... and only on the initial job... some people like to personalize the interaction and see who they are dealing with.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
some people like to personalize the interaction and see who they are dealing with.

Is "personal" in now? Crap. I'm going to have to get some more coaching...
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yarg28 wrote:
Is "personal" in now? Crap. I'm going to have to get some more coaching...
I should add that these were filthy millennial hipsters Smile
(once again, Bish reaches for his tin hat and runs for cover...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: