VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

remotely directed session advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
I should add that these were filthy millennial hipsters Smile

HEY I represent that remark!! cool
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For directed sessions a Telos HX1 phone patch gets a lot of use in my room. Source Connect is the other option, which works great now that internet up/down speeds have increased. When I moved to my current location I lost ISDN since the phone co here no longer offers the service for new hook ups. And the studios in this area who still have it are paying unbelievably high rates to keep it.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm confused; what do you mean by "dialog"? Are you saying that you use source connect for communication but not recording?

Don't think this ever got answered. I believe Jason meant recording scripted dialog between multiple talent at different locations.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry :( I missed that. YES I meant dialog between two talent being recorded simultaneously. I have done quite a bit of this with me being remote and then another talent being live in the studio that is recording. With Source Connect the delay can be frustrating (especially when someone's internet bandwidth isn't up to snuff) if we are trying to record a conversation. With ipDTL the delay is very very slight so the conversation being recorded actually sounds like a conversation. It makes it a lot easier for both talent (instead of it just sounding like the talent's timing is terrible) but ESPECIALLY helps the client because often times they don't take all the technology limitations into account and just think it sounds...off. I've had sessions where the engineer just had to edit each take to remove the delay so the client could hear what it would have sounded like if everyone was in the same room.

You can make either one work...just depends on what the client is comfortable with and how fast both internet connections are. I have one client who has really slow internet and when we do SC sessions there can be like a 10-15 second delay, depending on the day. You can't even have a conversation under those circumstances.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: remotely directed sessions Reply with quote

The last session I did that was a remote dialog scenario was for Sonic, the drive in chain. The two comics who are in the TV spots and I were the talents.
One guy was in a studio in NYC, the other in Chicago, and I was in Dallas. The ad agency folks were at a studio in St Louis. So we did an ISDN session linked between the 4 different studios. It went flawlessly smooth. No latency and our ability to get the comedic timing dialed in was not hindered by the 4 city hook up.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBVOXX wrote:
For directed sessions a Telos HX1 phone patch gets a lot of use in my room. Source Connect is the other option, which works great now that internet up/down speeds have increased.

the Telos only works with an analog land line, correct? when I moved to the new location, we didn't even bother with a land line, so that's where the Telos became a non option.. Source Connect was and is surprisingly stable and easy to set up.. An ISDN bridge service is always available if need be..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
MBVOXX wrote:
For directed sessions a Telos HX1 phone patch gets a lot of use in my room. Source Connect is the other option, which works great now that internet up/down speeds have increased.

the Telos only works with an analog land line, correct? when I moved to the new location, we didn't even bother with a land line, so that's where the Telos became a non option.. Source Connect was and is surprisingly stable and easy to set up.. An ISDN bridge service is always available if need be..

that is correct. I went with the cheapest land line service I could get..$11 bucks a month inclusive of taxes and surcharges. It's dedicated to the phone patch and the security system.
Clients call in so I don't have any long distant expenses with it. Maybe one day Telos will figure out how to integrate a wireless phone signal into the box.
But clients love the clarity of the HX1 signal.
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK sorry to be ignorant, but what is the difference between Source-connect NOW, and source connect, aside from the price?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source Connect NOW is a simple Chrome-based, (opus codec?) IP communications thingy. You can get multiple users on line at once (we use it to record up to five people for the Voiceover Cafe podcast). It's great for non-critical connections (direction, conversations, podcasting, etc.) It can be used for production, but with the usual caveats of IP/internet-based end-to-end connections... on a good day it will be fine, on a bad day, it won't.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Opus. I still have a great deal of hope that the advent of big fiber will bring an end to the pain of Isdn rates and telco horror stories.

The Goog is stringing lines in my neighborhood as we speak. Can't wait. cool
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
Source Connect NOW is a simple Chrome-based...

Adding to the FAQ, thanks Bish!
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: