VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

if you had $1000...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about workflow items? Would some new software help you be more effective/productive? What about little things that would make your overall work experience better? Big second monitor for editing outside of the booth? A nice set of monitors for listening? Do you have yourself set up for doing mix-minus playback for client sessions? Could you get better internet speed and have a more enjoyable experience and faster uploads if you upgraded your modem/router and service? How about a cough button designed into your booth (physical or otherwise) to provide a better listening experience for your clients?

Do you have top quality audio cables? How about a battery backup so you don't lose audio in the event of a power outage? Maybe a generator to allow you to pick a session back up in the event a power outage occurs?

Do you have a backup of all your gear? If your interface craps out, do you have another one to replace it with immediately while a client waits on the line for you? Do you have a second 214? Extra XLR cable or two? Second set of headphones? Another keyboard and mouse/trackpad?

At the end of the day, what would most positively impact your bottom line (not necessarily directly even). An aesthetically pleasing working environment will do wonders for your productivity. Peace of mind that you have a backup in case something goes down can lighten your load a bit. A better listening environment will help you hear better what you might want to tweak.

Don't buy gear just for the sake of buying gear. Have a purpose for every purchase...even if the purpose is to make you happier Smile
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be gear or does coaching count? Wink
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
Don't buy gear just for the sake of buying gear.
That sort of talk will get you drummed out of the Brownies and sent to Coventry, my lad! Anything can be justified if you put your mind to it! Smile

Also, we have to bear in mid that it is "found money" that carries with it a burden of responsibility. The "See, look at this lovely thing I purchased with the $1,000. Thank you, I'll always think of your generosity when I use it." must be preserved (by the way, that bit was not sarcastic!). That's difficult with a physical intangible (like marketing) and not as satisfying when pointing to a pile of OC703.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS.

Bish wrote:
Also, we have to bear in mid that it is "found money" that carries with it a burden of responsibility. The "See, look at this lovely thing I purchased with the $1,000. Thank you, I'll always think of your generosity when I use it." must be preserved (by the way, that bit was not sarcastic!). That's difficult with a physical intangible (like marketing) and not as satisfying when pointing to a pile of OC703.

This is an older family member that really loves feeling like they are helping. They also remember things like the depression and if they believe the money was squandered then your cutoff. They may have a difficult time remembering where they "put those damned keys" but they will never forget that I "wasted" that money on marketing or a cable.

But, Jason, there are some great questions there that I need to think about! Some of those solutions could fall under the umbrella of "found money" and actually be perceived as tangible enough.

Thank you!
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Some options Reply with quote

Jason had a really good question regarding what you want to do.

If you simply want to get a better interface, there were some good suggestions by Lance and Sean.

If you want another option for a mic, without springing for a 416 you might consider the new Rode NT1 kit. There is a top VO talent here in Finland who loves his, and I got to use it in a mic shootout. It held up well with the 103 and the price is amazingly good, and they are extremely quiet. Both Lance and Sean use one at the moment (if I am correct).

If you want a nice change for the micpre the Warm Audio WA 12 is a good choice. Have a friend who uses it with his CAD e100 s and loves the combination. You could get a Warm 12 and the Rode and still have money left over.

Then again, if you want some flexibility you might consider the SoundDevices USB Pre2. Great interface, outstanding micpres, and it is made to go work outside, so it works very well as a travel gear option. this one will take up most of your budget.

More options to think about Smile

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yarg28 wrote:

They may have a difficult time remembering where they "put those damned keys" but they will never forget that I "wasted" that money on marketing or a cable.

Well then I vote either a 416 as "the mic you've always wanted to try but couldn't afford" or a preamp or interface that has a lot of buttons and looks expensive Money Mouth

Just remember that this will be one piece of gear that you will never be able to trade out if you end up never using it LOL
Fran McClellan
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think you'll regret going with the 416. It was my main mic for awhile until I started using the 103. I still use the 416 for certain things and it's the best travel mic I've ever used (FWIW, I think a shotgun is much more ideal as a travel mic than a condenser) Smile
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for the 416. They're about $1,000 new and if you don't like it you can probably sell it for closer to the original price than a lot of items.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has been a great thread (for me). Much to ponder; which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thank you for supporting me through this difficult and troubling life decision Wink
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Eagle wrote:
Does it have to be gear or does coaching count? Wink

missed this! In this case it needs to be gear. The good news is that I have coaching covered. Smile
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the easy answer is a 416, tangible, obvious, and useful. 2nd choice an Apollo Twin Solo with API Vision Channel Strip plugin.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, I looked at the Apollo twin and I can honestly say I have no idea what it does or how I'd use it? Looks "mysterious" but i love demystifying things.
Going to look for some videos/reviews

Thanks again for everybody's input.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with "save" crowd. If you do not need .... And I mean NEED it, don't buy it now.

Wait.

F2
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality cabling will save you a major headache some day. Not knowing what's wrong with your rig with sessions coming up is an awful feeling. Cheap cables go out ALL the time and always at the worst time.

If you already like your mic though, I'd get a faster computer or portable computer (mac air fits the bill). Or an iD22 and a pair of Beyerdynamic 770's..

You won't regret the 416 though. Great mic that works as well in a hotel room as a pro studio and really never needs upgrading.

Post what you get, we all want to know!
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Apollo Twin. I picked one of those up twice but had some workflow issues with my own personal setup (I needed to have 2 thunderbolt ports or a thunderbolt hub that costs $250 to make it mostly work which means I needed a new computer). I LOVED how it sounded, loved how it worked, loved that I could adjust gain in the booth without having any gear in the booth, loved the tone options, loved the routing options, did I mention I loved how it sounded? I was a huge fan of the 1073 plugin and the great thing about it was that all of that outboard gear (I know the emulation isn't spot on but it's darn close) never craps out on you. Great solution if you ask me. I will be upgrading to one when my computer finally needs to be replaced because then the setup won't be nearly as expensive.

Hmmm...guess I had some feelings to get out about the Twin LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: