VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What gear are you currently loving or lusting over?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: What gear are you currently loving or lusting over? Reply with quote

I know there's one or two pieces of gear that would make all the difference in your studio.

Whatcha got?

I'm currently trying to shake the desire for a Manely TNT Dual Channel pre. Pretty sure it will make all the difference when I sell my car to finally get one, ha. And, I wouldn't mind a Sony C48. Used one in a local studio a few times and it's a great,unhyped condenser.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My set of 'cans (headphones), the AudioTechnica ATH-M70x.

I agonized over which to get...I eventually narrowed it down to them or the Beyerdynamic DD770 Pros. I ended up with the AT's and couldn't be happier.

I'm hearing differences I don't hear in my tracking headphones (AKG K271 MKII's), my Sennheiser HD-25 II's or my B&W P5's. They're comfortable for long editing sessions, and make mastering as close to possible without studio monitors.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATHM70x?adpos=1t1&creative=105744828601&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwubK4BRC1xczKrZyj3mkSJAC6ntgrJv6PREPHV_guTl_W2L_fvNYXt0cHdeDmp0mEyA8X1hoCbm7w_wcB
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much married to my U87ai.

I've been tempted by other condenser mics , but the 87 delivers so well for me that I've pretty much had to give up "the search" not only for a mic, but also for a pre-amp, since my John Hardy M-1 pairs so nicely with the Neumann.

But my search for the perfect tan continues. cool
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on curing your GAS, Elwood. Sounds like a great combo. John Hardy has been a want to try list for a while now. And when you put it that way, a tan sounds like much better investment.

Dave, I just ordered some beyerdynamic 770's that will be here this week. Those AT's look might nice though and I didn't even know they existed until now. Thanks a lot, ha.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...lol.

I'm a headphone NUT. Seriously, the Ms. has put a moratorium on new headphones and I've had to kind of fib and say, "Oh these? (the AT's) ... oh I've had them a while now, I just always use them in the studio..." LOL

I'm a bit of an audiophile, prefer lossless music tracks and headphone amplifiers. So it's not any wonder I'll spend HOURS scrutinizing my recordings and how they sound, endlessly doing comparisons and A/B shootouts with my setup...comparing how I sound to others as well.

The AKG's I track with are pretty cool. The headband is attached to a tiny switch that mutes them when they are taken off your head. Not sure how handy it really is for VO, but it has the potential to keep headphone sounds from bleeding onto an open mic.

They are also the most flat, boring, brutally honest headphones I've ever heard. Seriously. They are not fun for music. They do, however, do a fantastic job at not flattering or inflating your voice -- a common complaint among people who don't record with headphones. I know what they mean, some headphones can really fool you -- these ones actually help me notice subtle vocal imperfections better than if I record without them.

I'm looking into planar magnetic headphones next... cool
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, where to start? Reminds me of a thread I started a year or two ago about a VO Christmas Wish List. Here goes:

Mics: I hate to say I'm probably set in this area (Rode NT1, 416, and STILL waiting on my new CAD e100s) but I'd love to try the Neumann TLM 102, 103, 193, U87, AT 4047 or 4050, and the Blue Mouse.

Pres/interfaces: Probably set here, too (Audient ID14, Yamaha AG03, and STILL waiting on my Centrance Mixerface, geez, I'm noticing a pattern here...)Had an ID22 but it got water-damaged and doesn't work reliably now, thought of replacing it but honestly haven't needed to. Lance and George have got me eyeing that new SPL creon, though. The larger SPL Crimson looks awesome, too, especially for the dual headphone outs, but probably overkill for VO (hence the Creon love.)

I generally prefer interface pre's over external, but if I DIDN'T, I'd love to try an Avalon M5 or the Martinsound MSS-10 that Rick Riley loves so well.

I was looking at the ATH-m70xs for awhile, Dave. They had 'em at my local music store (AT is a Japanese company, after all.) but they just weren't comfortable enough for my pumpkin noggin' to rationalize 3 bills. At half that price, I absolutely love my DT770s, and take them with me everywhere. I'm debating getting another pair. Smile
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studiobricks booth.

Even though my sound is pretty good now, I can't stop at least fantasizing about how it would sound inside a better designed booth. Plus the Studiobricks is just so purrdy!
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioBricks are a pain to tune acoustically, stick with what you've got. The huge glass door causes mucho problems.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your observation about booths, George.

Some of the booths that don't look quite as sexy when installed, do use more traditional (?) materials and as your career progresses and maybe you move to a new location with just a bit more room, you might actually change the size of some booths using conventional carpentry and materials.

And if you never modify the booth in size or shape, to know that you can over time add proven absorption materials, acoustic materials to tune the booth has to be valuable.

On the other hand, if you are a person who does not even know if woodworking tools are compatible with your hands, and you don't have anyone in the family who shows up for Thanksgiving Dinner with a tool kit in the back of his vehicle asking: "Got anything around the need fixin' while I'm here?" then my philosophy of buying things that can be modified and re-purposed is of little use to you. cool
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
stick with what you've got.

Darn it George. You are making it really difficult to justify spending my money on a booth! Oh well, back to microphone lust I guess.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
StudioBricks are a pain to tune acoustically, stick with what you've got. The huge glass door causes mucho problems.

Exactly why when I built my booth I didnt add any glass at all. None on door and no windows. I'm sure some people would hate that but it actually feels a bit "womby" to me. I love the undisturbed tranquility. Laser focus.

I cant stop thinking about pre's. I want to try a lot of them, john hardy, WA12, Avalon, just to name a few. It's bad. I cant stop.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want for nothing Smile
After years of messing with my chain and environment, I can honestly say I'm happy with what I've got. Yes, of course, I give a u87 & a 737 houseroom, but then I'd probably have to re-jig (or even re-build) the whole studio... so that's beyond the parameters of the question, methinks Smile

I spend a lot of time in my studio... it's also my "man cave". This is where I spend most of my time, and I believe that any environment used so much should be a place of comfort & aesthetic appeal... somewhere you want to be.

So... what piece of equipment would make my studio complete? A Revox B77 (OK, an Otari maybe). I would look at it and smile every day. I'd use it, and love every minute.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bane of my studio designing existence are clients who want lots of glass in their booths (shall remain nameless). I'm about to start a new project that my client wants to have built "in glass". INSANE. His current booth already has two mitered glass sections and a marble countertop, and as it is he gets away with it because 416.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the front of my booth was two solid 2" thick sheets of plexiglass on automatic electric sliders, controlled by a touch screen display on the wall, that sealed air tight when they closed All the rest of the walls would be heavily deadened and I'd use a 416 aimed away from that glass. I would also have my logo etched in the outer piece "door."

If I made as much money as the nameless one, my studio would probably look something like this...but without all the crap on the control room desk so I could cover it with papers and pens and memory cards and other garbage to totally destroy the clean minimalist modern look.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss my old True Systems P Solo, which I sold when it started having some issues (I had bought it used). I think now that I know what I'm doing a lot better it would sound great in my studio. Smile

But, I should just sit tight for now and get the Creon at the end of the year. Tax write off!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: