VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What gear are you currently loving or lusting over?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But, I should just sit tight for now and get the Creon at the end of the year.

Lance, just out of curiosity, I'd love to know the appeal this unit has for you. You're not one to buy things sight unseen! (unheard?) There's a brand spanking new one available on Amazon Japan for 560 right now. If the yen rate goes back up, the us price could go down even more. Be still, my aching wallet!

George, that's really great to hear both about Studio Bricks and Booths with glass. I always wondered about that, but since so many talent seemed to use/prefer them, I assumed reflections weren't as much of an issue as I thought.
If I ever do go the booth route, I think I'll just hit up the guys at custom vocal booth and fill'er up with ATS panels. Natural light be damned!
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at a new higher end LDC.

*shrug* Not sure though what. I've got that D87 clone, and I'm not really "thrilled" with my TLM-102. I know...I know...everyone loves the 102.

It sounds "artificial" to me. Sort of like how diet soda has that after taste or something. It's hard to describe.

It sounds like Neumann tried to make the mic sound more "high def" or something with whatever presence boost it has. It's as if they EQ'ed it at the factory. It doesn't sound natural to me like how the CAD does (when it works).

The D87 sounds thin, and the CAD is a wonky nightmare.

I know where my sillibant peaks are, and it looks like the TLM-49, TLM-107 and TLM-67 all would be good fits for me. The 103 has the boost in the 6k-10k range higher than the others, and that's right where I tend to get sillibant. The CAD doesn't have that, and I don't sound sillibant on the CAD.

Not sure what one of those three TLMs though, as every mic sounds different on every voice. I can't really "try" any of them out either. I'd be buying any of them blind. I do think the 67 looks cool, so there's that. The 107 has a bunch of stuff on it (5 patterns) I'd never use ... and the 49 seems really hit or miss with folks.

I do want a new Neumann in the studio though, not a Gefell or MKH416.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't discount Gefell. Almost the same price as the 103 with a smoother top end and the small form factor of the 102, sounds like the best of both worlds. I was also really impressed with George's shootout of the RA-VO; I actually preferred it over the 103 sample.

I don't know why, but I've always wanted to try the 102, I just have this feeling it'd be a good fit for my voice.

I agree the 416's not for everyone, and the Neumann name certainly has some weight to it.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: 102 love ? Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
I've been looking at a new higher end LDC.

*shrug* Not sure though what. I've got that D87 clone, and I'm not really "thrilled" with my TLM-102. I know...I know...everyone loves the 102.

Never heard anyone, at least voice talent that I know, express their love for the 102. There may be some out there but not at least on this forum (that I recall).

If I was going to start again down the "which mic should I get" road, would pick up the new Rode NT1. Nice tone and among the quietest of the lot. Best bang for the buck IMHO of the many options out there today Smile

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Creon has in my checklist:

1.) Nice conversion
2.) Nice preamps. I don't have the link, but I heard some great tests of it going up against Audient. Here's a good thread about Audient v. Crimson (the bigger version of the Creon) https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/894962-audient-id22-v-spl-crimson.html What I heard from samples is that the Audient is "brighter". I don't want that. YMMV.
3.) HPF, HPF, HPF...75 Hz with a 6dB/octave slope. Perfect.
4.) Analogue monitor controller - works without a DAW.
5.) Great headphone amp
6.) 24-bit / 192kHz converters...'cause my explainer video clients demand the best! Wink
7.) It looks like it's from 1973 in a futuristic, not retro way!
8.) It has source inputs (1/4" jack and RCA) that do NOT go to the DAW, so you could have a separate computer or smartphone for patch sessions and listen in.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Never heard anyone, at least voice talent that I know, express their love for the 102.

There are lots of positive reviews on amazon, sweetwater, and B&H, but I noticed that talent that can drop more on a mic usually will, or eventually upgrade (NY talent Christian Rosselli retired his in favor of the RA-VO, and he sounds happy as a clam.)

Oh, Scott, you're no fun. You mean I should STOP spending money on mics? Wink
Oh, well. I could always buy a Creon.

That's a compelling list, Lance! You're quite the salesman. I'll have to keep my eye on it. Also, was this the link you were talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzgIlVVrxkI
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sdaeley17"]
Quote:

Oh, Scott, you're no fun. You mean I should STOP spending money on mics? Wink

Far be it from me to spoil your fun checking out mics! If you can find one, check out the Bock 195. I love mine Smile

sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to, but they're incredibly hard to find. Were they discontinued?

If you haven't seen this list, it's one of my favorite places to drool over mics.

http://www.mixwerk.com/en/blog/1813-the-best-microphones-for-voice-recording-2015.html#P1000

Vielen Dank, meine deutschen Freunde!
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
and the 49 seems really hit or miss with folks.

Indeed. I got to try one out in a studio and it was great for my voice. My current commercial demo was done using it.

Am I the only one who takes a certain pride in using mics that are much cheaper out of principle? I get some sort of rush in finding a good sounding mic, that costs less. It's like I am in some secret club that only a few people know about.

I guess its my tinkering nature. I used to like to build PCs, and electric bikes/scooter. Same idea I guess. It's always cooler when you have cobbled together a bunch of stuff that works well, instead of just using your wallet.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I the only one who takes a certain pride in using mics that are much cheaper out of principle? I get some sort of rush in finding a good sounding mic, that costs less. It's like I am in some secret club that only a few people know about.

You are not the only one, believe me. Sounds like you are at least a bit of a contrarian like I am. Alas, for me when it comes down to "how does it sound when the final product is produced" none of the "hidden secret" mics have ever seemed to work as well as the boring old standards like the 87 or the 416.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Elwood"]
Quote:

Sounds like you are at least a bit of a contrarian like I am.

For sure. I am the type of person who drives right through the middle of downtown because the traffic on the highway is so bad. Maxed out my 401k all through the great recession in order to buy low. Always avoid group think.

I wish I had the budget to prove myself wrong. I just can't justify spending the cash for a 416 or U87 right now. I did find a bit of a diamond in the rough in the AT875r which I've been told sounds great on me by some pros. For now, that will have to do.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Elwood"]
Quote:

Alas, for me when it comes down to "how does it sound when the final product is produced" none of the "hidden secret" mics have ever seemed to work as well as the boring old standards like the 87 or the 416.

Seems like I have spent a small fortune to avoid spending a small fortune on the U87 Smile

Tested lots of "other" mics that try to sound like a U87, or a U47. None of them work like those Neumanns. Settled on a 416, Bock Audio 195 (which I love) and am selling a Microtech Gefell MT71s. (Should have gone for the Gefell M930 or M940 instead). It will be replaced with either a Rode NT1 or a Lewitt LCT 550, both extremely quiet mics, to go in my new recording space.

Would still love to pick up one micpre - the A Designs P1. But only after selling off something else.

sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seems like I have spent a small fortune to avoid spending a small fortune on the U87 Smile

Trying to avoid that myself, Scott. Smile It helps that I know that my space, while well treated, simply isn't quiet enough to do that mic justice. Still, it's tempting, since I regularly see them go here for 1,000 less than in the states (no idea why, but a lot of German products go for cheaper here. Post axis powers ties? Wink

It's interesting, there seem to be several camps in the gear acquisition arena:

1) Those who buy a Neumann and a Sennheiser and call it a day.
2) Those who endlessly search for their dream mic, regardless of cost or time spent.
3) Those who endlessly search for their dream mic, but refusing to go above a certain price bracket.

(Apologies to Bish for making a bastardized version of your more thorough and entertaining list from a few years back.)

Based on everyone's responses, I'm pretty sure I'm right where I need to be for my level and career stage. And seeing how I actually won a 416 at VO Atlanta, I feel like the stars are telling me to give that mic a second chance.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And seeing how I actually won a 416 at VO Atlanta, I feel like the stars are telling me to give that mic a second chance.

The 416 takes some time to learn how to work. I sold my first one in haste and frustration, and humbly bought another one about a month later.

Once you learn how to work it, what to use it for, and what not to use it for, it could very well end up having a permanent place in your mic locker.

There are reasons it's such a standard in the VO industry, but it's not a magic bullet......until you learn how to work it with YOUR voice....... cool
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather ...

The U87 is one of the few Neumann's left in the current line up that still really "embodies" Neumann.

They've been bought out by Sennheiser btw -- in fact, the BCM-104 LDC (not the green badged dynamic, but condensor) has a Sennheiser capsule in it.

Gefell from what my research shows me still makes microphones the same way they did prior to the Berlin Wall falling down. They are closer to what Neumann's used to be like many years ago.

So, from what I gather:

Vintange Neumann > Gefell > new Neumann (TLM series at least).

And in fact it's said that during the cold war Gefell pioneered mic technologies ahead of Neumann by 10-20 years.

Dunno. I think there's an "exotic factor" with them since they aren't widely available in retail format here in the USA. They're harder to find, and people seem to be proud of owning them.

If they sound good, they sound good though. End of story.

From what I can tell, with just a slight bit of HF EQ'ing you can make the TLM-67 sound almost identical to a U87. People claim they do it, claim it works. I don't know if I'd trust those people since both mics are totally different internally. The U87 has a transformer...

And I'm wondering if that "tube emulation" that they give the TLM-67 gives it a plasticy-fake-cheap-artificially EQ'ed sound like the TLM-102? I haven't read that, but I am wary after the TLM-102.

If I get a TLM-49 or TLM-67 -- I'll be parting with my barley used TLM-102. I just don't need it. I still have the box and everything...(that's a bad habit of mine btw...saving boxes)...I save all my lego set boxes too Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: