VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEST PLUGINS FOR VO?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
I only use what comes with Pro Tools or TwistedWave or Audition. Never needed anything else, unless you want a declicker tool for PT or TW like RX5 plugin pack (Audition has one). Voxengo's stuff is an amazing value.

Ah, I just figured out what this "de-clicker" tool is that people talk about.

This helps remove that crackle or "pop" sound.

I used to have that problem a while back, then I adjusted the buffer in Twisted Wave and it went away. There seems to be a "sweet spot" depending on one's setup where the buffer is good enough to prevent any latency, but not to much to cause software hiccups.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, Dave, but many a VO has discovered that it can be adjusted to take care of mouth clicks and other noises. When izotope realized people were using it this way, they sought to make it more applicable to mouth noise, making the effect gentler with less artifacts at higher settings.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Bombfactory 1176 plug-in for any compression I want within ProTools. It's far and away my fave.

and I use the built-in expander-gate with a super-soft setting. I can post the setting if you like.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdaeley17 wrote:
Exactly, Dave, but many a VO has discovered that it can be adjusted to take care of mouth clicks and other noises. When izotope realized people were using it this way, they sought to make it more applicable to mouth noise, making the effect gentler with less artifacts at higher settings.

You know, I never thought about mouth noises!!!

Huh, I didn't think the software would be that sensitive to do that! Interesting...

I have some Biotene gel and Biotene spray that keeps my mouth moist, and a thing of Burt's Bees chapstick. Together, that cut my mouth/lip noises waaaay down.

I might try a demo or something though. I did a demo of Nectar II, and it was OK. The interface was ugly to me, and everything it does I have other stuff that does it either as good or better. If you want it all in ONE place, then Nectar II is good -- but I like to be able to have separate plugins for all that, sometimes by different companies. FabFilter makes as good De-esser or example.

Then again, for the price you might be getting a good deal with Nectar II. I'm not sure you can get separate plugins for all the things it does for the price it goes for.

That said, to be honest, there's really a good bit of stuff in Nectar II that isn't very VO-oriented. There's a lot of stuff for singers -- so you're paying for features you won't use.

I couldn't justify buying it for the handful of things I thought I would use it for :( ... but what it did do, it did very well!
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that's more in regards to Izotope's RX (audio restoration) suite than they're Nectar one, which like you said, is geared more for vocal post production
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdaeley17 wrote:
Keep in mind that's more in regards to Izotope's RX (audio restoration) suite than they're Nectar one, which like you said, is geared more for vocal post production

Yep, and it's a good set of tools -- don't get me wrong, but as I played with the demo I found that about 60-75% of the stuff I wasn't going to really use.

HOWEVER ... Wink

iZotope has the plugin package of just the stuff that us VO people would use on sale right now for $99

De-click
De-hum
De-click
De-noise

Now for the exact same price you could also get Acon's Digital Restoration Suite which has the exact same four tools. George did a Whittam's world video on them.

I'm not sure which work better...
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to Steven Jay Cohen, he's done a comparison, I believe. Or dl the free versions yourself and then you can decide which is best for you.

Also, if you go the RX route, talk to Jason Koons at Sweetwater. He knows a number of us and may get you an even greater discount. Just mention me (Sean Daeley) or Don Baarns and the Audio Rescue facebook group.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Acon, and couldn't get it to work. Way too aggressive. I was cutting out speech left and right.

Now I'm using the Audacity De-Clicker. It's free and frickin amazing for my voice on the default settings.

Admittedly I'm not the most tech savvy, and I didn't mess too much with the Acon settings.

The only issue with Audacity is it's SLOW and resource heavy. It may or may not have crashed my computer a few times. Hard to figure out from the logs, but the computer definitely crashed while it was running.

On a side note, Sean, don't you ever sleep?
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whether sending to editors or producing a mixed track, I record 100% of my VO tracks with just the mic pre/comp > Pro Tools.
No plug ins unless a special effect is applied. I do add approx 2;1 comp on the Fearn but that's it.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about for auditions?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug-ins are extremely popular.
Especially with people that make and sell plug-ins.

OK... as a time-saver, I actually use an old version of iZotope for de-crackling long-form narration, but for anything else, faffing around with the regular Adobe Audition stuff is more than enough for me to screw things up.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by the Waves RVox plug. last in the chain behind EQ and normalization… expander/gate/compressor.. only two settings to fiddle with and transparent...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
I swear by the Waves RVox plug. last in the chain behind EQ and normalization… expander/gate/compressor.. only two settings to fiddle with and transparent...

I've heard that from a lot of people, actually!

I think though... if you find you need to fiddle with the sound a lot, there's more serious issues going on to be addressed. Good sound in = good sound out.

Now, don't get me wrong...for some stuff where someone wants a "ready to go" product some de-essing and light compression are fine...but it seems like when I've played around and piled on the software I end up down a rabbit hole.

It's like when you're doing a craft project and you keep adding or messing with something. It was just fine after a few tweaks, but the more I mess with it the worse it gets.

There's "something" lost with a ton of software processing. Maybe it's resolution, depth...IDK. It sounds less like someone is just standing there with a naked voice in front of you, and more like some kind of voice on software-steroids.

I guess its like makeup. A little can really accentuate and flatter a face. To much? You end up looking like a clown...
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:

I think though... if you find you need to fiddle with the sound a lot, there's more serious issues going on to be addressed. Good sound in = good sound out.

Totally agree. I recently started using an RE320 for narration. I did a few auditions for shorter stuff with it and it sounds so good I didn't do a darn thing to the output except normalize.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood wrote:
What about for auditions?

I would recommend using the same set up for everything. If you land a job
from an audition done in your room and then follow up with the session done from the same room you definitely want the technical aspects of the session to sound exactly as the audition track did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: